Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

File management: loading pcg, kep, ksc, kmp and keep it neat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lidserter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: File management: loading pcg, kep, ksc, kmp and keep it neat Reply with quote

Is this possible? How do you guys handle your user banks and imported combis?
Is there a golden way to load data and keep it safe and neat?
I posted this question on Kross forum, but this is more a general korg question...

I found out great pcg files that i would gladly append but, combis lose its references. Also, if you unload pcm data that were used by programs, they just doesn't catch up again when those pcm files are loaded again...

What do you guys think?

Four full user banks for programs and four for combis too. Ideally I'd leave one for sound design and the others for expansions and imported sounds...

Thank you all in advance
JJ
Korg Kross 2 61, Korg microStation, Korg monologue, Alesis Vortex wireless v1, CME Xkey 25, Peak FCB8N, JBL LSR305 monitors, Jackson DK2S, Washburn X series, Lag Tramontane, ENGL e530, TC electronic G-Major II, Rocktron Velocity 300, 2x12" Celestion V30s cabinet.
SKung

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very complicated stuff you ask in a single post, a book would be needed to answer all these questions.

Can you give details on how you currently are organizing your banks and user files? If everything runs correctly you shouldn't lose references to programs or sample data.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my Kronos, I kept the programs rather close to their factory order for about 6 months. After that, I began to modify everything and especially their order to my own taste. The programs, the combis, the categories, etc.

It's quite easy to keep a Kronos super clean and with plenty of empty space for new programs etc after getting rid of stuff one uses once in a blue moon. Many are afraid to change the program order and prefer to keep their unit near to its factory state. I prefer to group everything together instead of looking in several banks for APs, EPs, organs, etc. I enjoy using the four usual Kronos freeware for this. No links lost, one just needs to learn how to do it and take the time needed.
lidserter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both SKung and KK for your replies!

SKung: Kross 2 has 10 banks for programs, 6 preloaded. Then 7 banks for combis which 3 are preloaded too. Since day one i started filling both UA banks in program and combi modes with custom patches. Then I found interesting pcg files like JayB soundset in example: i loaded all the program bank to another unused bank: UB. However I can't manage to load the combi bank and keep the correct sounds on them. Then optional expansion libraries came out past week, and I load them: they just append next to the first initialized prog on UA bank... So, when searching for sounds, I got them mixed, while I would like to have my own creations alone in UA...

KK: I want to learn how to do it and take the necessary time. Which are those four usual freeware programs? I'm reading pcg tools manual right now, chapter four verses about korg files

Best regards,
JJ
Korg Kross 2 61, Korg microStation, Korg monologue, Alesis Vortex wireless v1, CME Xkey 25, Peak FCB8N, JBL LSR305 monitors, Jackson DK2S, Washburn X series, Lag Tramontane, ENGL e530, TC electronic G-Major II, Rocktron Velocity 300, 2x12" Celestion V30s cabinet.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the four freeware, of course three of them are especially made for the Kronos. So besides PCG Tools that you know, for the Kronos there's also Onksor (for the setlists), TidyKronos (very useful) and the Kronos Editor v3 (does many things the other three don't).

I can't help you since I don't know about the Kross configuration, etc. But at least you can use PCG Tools just like Kronos users. It doesn't do as much compared to the four freeware combined, but it can for sure help you. I have no clue if there are other freeware for the Korg Kross.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not one to load a volume of combis just because they are free, easy, etc etc etc.

I preview any combi before I load it. I determine if its something I want to enjoy.

IOW, less is more. Keep it simple, etc
lidserter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Greg! I really appreciate that all you guys take the time to answer!
I want to keep it simple too, and here is a simple case scenario: I felt in love with a single combi from a sound designer, a single combi that recalls a few custom programs. I would load each custom program one by one, then the combi, then edit and fix the program mappings. Do you know a simple way to achieve this? A single load procedure that import and auto map the needed programs?

Thank you,
JJ
lidserter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK, thank you for your time. I'm trying pcg tools right now, and I'm getting ambitious. Now I'm looking for importing combis from other board too... Kross 2 is the successor of Kross 1 which is the successor for Microstation, so... I tried with success to open microStation combi files within Kross 2. Now pcg tools would let me assign proper programs...
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lidserter wrote:
Thank you Greg! I really appreciate that all you guys take the time to answer!
I want to keep it simple too, and here is a simple case scenario: I felt in love with a single combi from a sound designer, a single combi that recalls a few custom programs. I would load each custom program one by one, then the combi, then edit and fix the program mappings. Do you know a simple way to achieve this? A single load procedure that import and auto map the needed programs?

Thank you,
JJ

I don't know anything about Kross.

Combis in Kronos rely on Programs to be in a fixed bank position or bank #.

IOW, factory programs are not scrambled unless the user initiates a bunch of stuff and over writes the factory program.

Keeping programs intact and in the correct bank # makes it simple to preview and/or enjoy a Kronos combi.
lidserter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem arises when the new combi points to new programs, not factory programs. Previewing that combi will sound totally different from what's intended.
SKung

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lidserter wrote:
The problem arises when the new combi points to new programs, not factory programs. Previewing that combi will sound totally different from what's intended.

Everybody may use programs from different banks (may be factory or user banks, or even user sounds in overwritten factory banks). Loading a combi from someone else could overwrite programs which are used in other combis.

I would do the following:
To test combis from other people I backup all my data (except sampling) and then I load the new combi(s) to try them out.

When the test is over I load my backup again.

If there is a combi I want to keep I load its sounds individually to free user banks, then load (just) the combi to a free user bank and remap the sounds individually.

Maybe you can do the remapping with PCG tools, never tried that with combis:
http://pcgtools.mkspace.nl/
lidserter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Skung that's a great suggestion. Pcg tools works fine for this, it indeed auto map the combis, as explained in this tutorial:

https://youtu.be/nZFAD-n7bdo

I tried it with partial success, imported sounds are fine except drumkits.
I'll investigate more, but I consider this PCG side of the question completed.

Now... I need to fix all my samples. Yesterday I learnt that pcm data is recalled in order (of course!) And when you unload some samples at the beginning, drumkits and programs that call back samples get messed up.

Thank you guys!
JJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: