Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Roland Fantom 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KJandKT

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Synth...yes indeed. Now, if Korg were to possibly answer with a successor to the Kronos that incorporated some of the Roland ideas here (like much improved sequencer abilities - clip, piano roll...which I believe will be full-functioning with an update, TR-styled step sequencer, easy DAW integration, control, etc.) then things could get interesting.

Honestly what about a reboot of the Oasys with that nice big screen, and include these Roland features. Then, I know that some people don't like the thought of this, but what if they made the board to include all of the goodies of the Kronos/Oasys and PA series? Nobody has made a flagship yet that can do everything - full controller, extended MIDI sequencing/Audio sequencing features and arranger features. For people that don't want one or the other, you just don't use those functions...just like happens now in any workstation - general some use some things and not others (such as those that prefer using a pattern sequencer over a linear sequencer)...but at least there is the choice. I think it has been crazy for manufacturers to release $4000-$5000 boards that don't do it all. Hardly anyone will pay both $5000 for a Genos and then $4000 for a Montage with a total price-tag of $9000.

The debate in forums is that the professional studio person/stage person is a different buyer than the arranger person. I would argue differently - the lines have blurred. We have boards like the new Fantom and Montage that clearly have arranger-type arpeggios in them that follow chords, etc...going the step further to have dedicated buttons for variations, fills, etc. and a sequencer mode that can capture those really isn't a stretch. And the top arrangers have some brilliant styles that are actually useful in the studio. Take for instance a songwriter/producer that doesn't play acoustic or bass guitar...being able to quickly put together something in an arranger and just shutting off all of the voices except acoustic guitar/bass guitar...a priceless time saver.

I for one own both an arranger and several professional stage keyboards. As a producer/songwriter...I would love a board like the new Fantom or Kronos that could combine all of this ability. I could sit at the board and quickly create full arrangements - workflow plus for me. If people that use something like the Fantom/Kronos/Oasys, etc., don't want to use arranger functions if they were built in, that's fine...just don't use them! But why not have the option...especially at such a high price point with these boards...

I think it has been because manufacturers think they can get double the sales...but in reality, hardly anyone is going to have the money or inclination to spend $9000 on two boards...plus it still doesn't answer the question of providing a seamless, easy workflow on one board for everything.

The Fantom is getting close to that...Korg I believe can actually do it by combining their technologies.

Just my thoughts Smile Have a blessed day!
EJ2
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this video has been posted, but this is getting very interesting. The reviewer says the new Fantom has 4 chips...4. I guess, with all that processing and seamless workflow going on I can see/hear why. Given the length of time it takes me to develop a fully KARMA-fied combi (usually 3 weeks to a month or more), this looks enticing. Yet, the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. Just the same, I have always been partial (no pun intended) to Roland sounds. So I'm looking forward to putting this baby through the paces. However, I won't jump on board unless and until updates and additions have been delivered to users. Then, we'll see. I'm in agreement with Kevin.

Watch this till the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZLJyHm506k

CATALYST v 2 Blast of Inspiration for KRONOS & OASYS: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst2.html
CATALYST v 1 Combi Explosion for KRONOS, OASYS, M3, & K-M50: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/catalyst1.html
CHEMISTRY 3, a Groove Injection for Your Karma: http://www.karma-lab.com/sounds/chem3.html
SoundCloud MP3 Demoshttps://soundcloud.com/ej2-sc
vEddY
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

That's totally and utterly the most universally stupid thing ever. There's no way on earth I would buy a workstation for 3+ Grand that didn't even have a sampler.
I'm really shocked by that. Crying or Very sad

Don't be surprised, buddy, they've been daft about necessary and normal things needed in their high-end products for more then a decade now.

Personally, I've been unable to understand why are (all of them) incapable of creating a product that will competently work with samples for... 15 years now? 20 years?
Personally? LPI. RHCE, RHCI, RHCX, RHCVA. MCITP 2008 certification done. MCITP Virtualization Administrator done. MCITP Exchange 2010 done. MCITP MS SQL 2008 done. MCT done. MCSE Server Infrastructure 2012, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSE:Messaging and MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure done. VCP5-DV done. VCI done. MCITP: Sharepoint 2010 Administrator done. VCP5-Cloud done. VCP5-DT done. VCAP5-DCA done. VCP6-DCV done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vEddY wrote:
Sharp wrote:

That's totally and utterly the most universally stupid thing ever. There's no way on earth I would buy a workstation for 3+ Grand that didn't even have a sampler.
I'm really shocked by that. Crying or Very sad

Don't be surprised, buddy, they've been daft about necessary and normal things needed in their high-end products for more then a decade now.

Personally, I've been unable to understand why are (all of them) incapable of creating a product that will competently work with samples for... 15 years now? 20 years?

My ipad can..

Actually, i think my ipad pro is the most versatile musical tool around... just connect it to any keyboard...
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, good luck to them. I won’t be buying one.

No sampler...lol.. Laughing

Sharp.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/montage-vs-new-fantom-2019
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the Fantom will still hold it's owners attention after a few years - I'm still finding out and learning amazing things the Kronos can still do after all this time.

Figuring out the MODX (and Red Dead Redemption II) is currently taking up much of my time, so I can't even contemplate a new keyboard at the moment, no matter how tempting.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting - am looking forward to some hands-on

Have scanned the manuals but does anyone have any idea if it has drawbar/rotary (B3-Leslie) emulation using those 9 sliders?

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Looks interesting - am looking forward to some hands-on

Have scanned the manuals but does anyone have any idea if it has drawbar/rotary (B3-Leslie) emulation using those 9 sliders?

Very Happy

No, not yet..

They however will be patching the SN acoustic sounds as a new sound engine in the future.... this sound engine contains the wellknown roladn drawbar engine,, and many other acoustic instrument emulations
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They said they will. And they better should, to come remotely close to any price value relation making some sense. We don't know though, if and when that will happen.

Smart people don't buy anything based on future promisies. I learned to be smart, after not being Smile
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Smart people don't buy anything based on future promisies.

Yep - very wise

I'm more concerned about the "Current" Roland - they have seemed to produce-and-drop somewhat.
Maybe I am totally spoiled by Korg - having a PA4X and Kronos, I have become complacent with my expectations because Korg have continually supported and updated these keyboards with some incredible enhancements..... Roland, not so....

However I AM excited to see/hear/touch this new Fantom but apart from many other things, I will not consider buying until that "B3-Leslie" emerges

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting reportage concerning the Jupiter-Xm and the Fantom: www.smstrumentimusicali.it/reportage-roland-fantom-jupiter-xm/

It's in Italian, but Google Translate does a nice job translating it for you.
The article mentions that among the plans for the Fantom are the model banks now available in the Jupiter-Xm(!), other model banks which remain undisclosed, import of sample libraries, and a tonewheel organ.
Now I definitely see a Fantom 8 in my future, it's a bit like Roland's OASYS, only it is not intended to be a traditional workstation but more of a performance synth plus some extras.
leonh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did play Fantom 6 in my local store today and impressions are good but nothing new yes a proper workstation no need for anything else is it better than Kronos NO just more modern i.e hardware.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
Did play Fantom 6 in my local store today and impressions are good but nothing new yes a proper workstation no need for anything else is it better than Kronos NO just more modern i.e hardware.

I'm really glad to hear that it's a proper workstation.

How does it handle linear sequencing composition? I haven't seen any videos about that at all. Can you extend its little clip piano rolls to, say, 128 measures?

How does its audio track system work? Can you record a band's parts and build your song that way? How much on-board audio editing does it have?

What sort of arranger view does it offer?

I'm really excited to hear that it's a proper, full-blown, undiluted workstation ready for the rough-and-tumble of audio production, this really changes my thoughts on the Kronos, so please explain how it escapes the confines of the rather groovebox-like thing that we keep seeing in videos. Honestly, from what I'd seen to date it looked rather like a groovebox with a keyboard and a deeper synth engine, but you're opening new vistas for me (and I assume, for many of us).

Share the love!
leonh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I played for 30 min so in that time I found that arpeggios are ok i.e standard not like Kronos or Montage .
Sequencer well it is very good with patterns and loops something like Akai force as for linear sequencer I did play a bit and it seems that is as good as Kronos one (mind you I played a bit ) measures I did try 32 did not try 128 so I dont know but overall it looks like with sequencer you can mix everything .Mixer is good voice controls are plenty think of it as a Montage and Kronos hybrid very good for all in one workstation loading time about 30 sec you need to play it for a day or two because are so many things especially with sequencer it looks very deep personaly I am thinking of getting one by Christmas .I think it can replace Montage and Kronos if you need only one keyboard not two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: