Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

volca nubass

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr NOYJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: volca nubass Reply with quote

So I guess this one is coming out any time now.

I have all the volcas (well, apart from the mix) - and there's something to love about each of them (I'm still giddy with excitement using the two latest) - but the nubass? I'm really not convinced about it.

Music Radar did a great review on it in July, basically surmising that the 'tube' didn't do a whole lot, and while it sounds beefier than the volca bass, you can't split its oscillators into three and do separately-tuned three part polymetric sequences - so other than chaining patterns and utilising some randomness, it's not really adding much to the table.

Is anyone excited about the nubass if they already have other ways to create bass lines with a volca (which - let's face it - you can do on the bass, the keys, the sample, the kick, the fm, the modular and even the drum (if you persevere!))

(I'm not bothered about trying to emulate a 303...)
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the sound it has. Dunno if I'll buy one when it finally hits the shelves (I'm sorta looking at blowing the lot and getting a Quantum next), but I like the grit the Nubass has. That said, I used to run my MS-20 through a Boss Turbo Distortion for a similar sound.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one. Feel free to ask me any questions about it.

I also have a bass, and I agree there's some overlap and also missing features compared to the bass.

You're also forget that the nubass introduces motion sequencing so you can do a few interesting tricks with it now.

My biggest gripe? The fact that Korg put the LFO INT and RATE as secondary functions under the attack and eg int knobs...bad idea imo.
Darkside

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I dislike about the original Bass the most is not being able to create short or abruptly stopping notes, as the envelope always has some short release stage on the VCA, even when not directly assigned to it. This is the place, where newer synths like the MonoLogue and NuBass do way better. So yeah, that's yet one more bigger difference between the two basses, but at this moment I'm not completely sure of running out to buy this Nu one when it really becomes available. Never the less I can completely agree, that the Volca Bass is one little devil of a monosynth!
roblabs
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put the amp eg on, u can most certainly get short, plucky notes on the V Bass. The nu bass does not have an amp eg
Darkside

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but I'm more about those acid style short notes, which the Volca Bass is really not capable of.
Mr NOYJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder whether my inner volca completist will kick in regardless of anything else and I'll just get it anyway... Confused
Mr NOYJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's out - and the completist in me didn't kick in! Not excited; not bothered.

I'm cured.

(But totally getting the NTS-01 when it's out...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: