Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement Touch Panel - Drop-in?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MMTGuy28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Replacement Touch Panel - Drop-in? Reply with quote

I've seen various threads here about Trinity touch panel problems and some attempts at retro fitting other digitizers.

Has anybody found a true drop-in replacement for the Trinity touch panel?

There are some on eBay which might work but I'm not sure and I don't think Triton digitizers are the same as Trinity digitizers.

My Trinity LCD is okay. The touch panel has become a little odd looking in some areas towards the middle and less sensitive in the same area because clearly too much pressure was applied over the years.

It still works correctly with a soft tip tablet stylus though and passes the simple calibration test.

Were these touch panels ever really accurate with a finger or were they always a little sloppy?
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement Touch Panel - Drop-in? Reply with quote

MMTGuy28 wrote:
Were these touch panels ever really accurate with a finger or were they always a little sloppy?

Yes, Trinity LCD was always kinda sloppy, requiring your own learned finger technique to use effectively, and it had a slow redraw rate.

I guess it was of its era with early touch LCD technology of its day - truly ground breaking and futuristic of its time, but pales in comparison to the pin-sharp accuracy, detail and draw rate of something like a modern iPad that we're used to thesedays.
MMTGuy28

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Timo.

So then I gather frustrated users would mash the glass touch panel so much that it got micro stress fractures and started losing sensitivity and looking strange.

These things should have come with a stylus to begin with!
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMTGuy28 wrote:
So then I gather frustrated users would mash the glass touch panel so much that it got micro stress fractures and started losing sensitivity and looking strange.

Nah, not that bad, it's still highly usable, I had no problems in using it, my mis-clicks are minimal, it's just a tad clunky when you compare it to modern/current standards (like iPad) given it's 24 years old. Got my Trinity in 1998, and the LCD is still intact and in identical condition to when I bought it.

I think on iPad, for example, the physical 'hit-area' of graphic buttons are actually larger than they're visually shown on the LCD, effectively to idiot-ify the selection process and allow for mistakes/tolerances slightly outside the buttons to still work, whereas the visual button 'hit-areas' on Trinity's LCD are more surgically confined.

I don't have your problem though, it sounds like someone could've stacked something weighty onto your LCD.

I believe user "SpaceCowboy" on the forums here has replaced various screens for the Trinity so it may be worth viewing his posts here in the past (such as this), or maybe send him a message if he wouldn't mind: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=11814
MMTGuy28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't decide if the flawed look of my LCD is just a stressed touch panel or partially the LCD as well. The only way to find out is to remove it. That's a sizeable job.

Thanks for the link. I'll check that out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: