Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Kronos 2 88 keys sound “broken”. see picture

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpabisz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Some Kronos 2 88 keys sound “broken”. see picture Reply with quote

Hey all,

So I’ve had my keyboard for about 5-6 years now. I’m noticing some of the keys don’t sound right, mechanically. Most unused keys (for eg, far left or right) sound fine. But the middle ones, including black keys, sound different. They also feel different. They feel like they are not as “strong” I guess. Also too, the velocity is off a bit too, on the broken keys. And I have quite a few

Is this something I can repair without purchasing new parts? I have taken apart older synths before to fix keys, and I have in fact fixed them. But never on a newer synth.

Thanks!

Edit: I have taken it apart. I notice the hammer does not go all the way up on the messed up keys.

heres a picture:

https://imgur.com/V4ysBwg

Last edited by mpabisz on Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be experiencing two different issues. One is the Hammer felt. They can wear out with heavy use allowing the hammers to hit the frame causing a loud clack. Secondly, the key contact. They can either get dirty or even wear out. Cleaning can fix if just dirty.

I recently ordered new hammer felts from Parts is Parts and put them in a customers K88. (I work on a lot of keyboard brands but not Korg.) It went well. If I were planning to keep the keyboard for many more years I would consider replacing the contacts while you have it open. It just as much work replacing them as it is cleaning them.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
mpabisz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, ill take it apart, and take a look. Also too, now that I'm in front of my kronos, the bad keys sound like there is something loose it it. like a weight is dangling in there. any idea about that?
mpabisz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taken it apart. I see the mechanical issue. just not sure how to repair it. any thoughts on how to repair it?

mpabisz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i have found the culprit:

Forwhatever reson, where I have it circled, that section seems messed up. It looks fine. But when I swap it with a non-issue hammer, it works fine. The only thing I can think is that circled portion.

Anyone else deal with this before?

edit: I am noticing that the hammers that don't work properly, are really tough to take out, whereas the good ones lift off effortlessly.

Last edited by mpabisz on Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks OK from that angle. Instead, check the felts under the action. Also, replacing the hammers back where they belong, you have to push them gently until they fall into place making a smooth locking bump. Do not dry nor wipe the lubricant.

Another area to check while you are at it is the blade springs. Simply looking above the keys where they end (farthest from the player), you should see them all the same in the tiny window where you see some of their metal. If not, springs have to be replaced correctly.

One other thing to check that I mentioned in your other thread is the hammer plastic seats (white things at the bottom against the metal keybed). Look for signs of wear or damage there. They are very solid but anything can fail with time and lots of use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: