Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Ii - Drum sounds - mix

View previous topic :: View next topic  
b1gb1rd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Kronos Ii - Drum sounds - mix Reply with quote

I'm confused about how to edit the relative mix of a drum kit.

I'm using SEQ mode and have decided to use AA-107 Funk Kit for drums on all my sequences. I want to lower the kick level on the kit.

In Global mode - I see the Funk Kit in I-26 - I am not able to find Funk Kit in AA-107 from global mode. Changes I make in I-26 Funk Kit in global mode are not reflected in AA-107 Funk Kit I am using in my sequences. Changes I make in global mode are not even reflected in the sound I am hearing in global mode. For example I like the kick on C2 - some Kronos sequences are using B1 for a kick - making it sound like a different kick. When I set the samples on B-1 to match C2 in Global mode - the change is not reflected in what I hear while playing the kit in Global mode.

I tried saving Funk Kit - using Global > Write Drum Kit - to a new kit location AA-00 - I can see this location in GLobal mode - but not in sequence mode.
Once again - the changes I see in the samples assigned to keys B1 and C2 are present in kit location AA-00 - but when I play them on the keyboard - I don't hear the new samples - I still hear the different sample on B1 compared to C2 even though on screen I can see the samples in B1 and C2 are now the same.

Confused ~~~

Help?

thanks
B
SKung

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term 'drumkit' is a bit confusing. AA-107 is a program. That Program uses a drumkit (aka multisample) as its sound source.

Go to program mode and open the AA-107 Funk Kit.

In the OSC section you find the drumkit (multisample) that the program AA-107 uses.

Go to global mode and open the drumkit that the program AA-107 uses.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Kronos so I can't check to see which global drum kit AA-107 uses (and the program number doesn't seem to correspond with the docs I have saved). I can see from the Voice Name List documentation that there are two global funk kits -- one is a mono kit at INT-16 and the other, which you mention, is INT-26. So for a start, make sure that program AA-107 is actually using INT-26, and not INT-16 or anything else. You'll do that in program mode, not global. So call up your funk kit program AA-107 in program mode and check the P2–1: OSC1 Basic page and confirm which global kit is assigned to the program.

As a general rule, I would recommend making a copy of the drum kit you want to change and edit the copy instead of editing the original kit. It's your choice though. Secondarily, I would recommend saving a new version of the drum kit program too. So, the workflow for editing drum kits could be:

1. Switch to Program Mode and call up the drum kit you want to change. (AA-107)

2. Take note of the global kit it uses.

3. Switch to Global Mode and find that global kit.

4. Use the copy drum kit command and save it to a empty slot.

5. Edit the newly-saved copy as desired.

6. Use the write drum kit command to save the new kit in global.

7. Switch back to program mode and change the drum kit on the P2–1: OSC1 Basic to match your new drum kit.

8. Save the drum program to an empty program slot.

Now, in your sequence, you can assign your new drum program to your track and it should have all the changes you've made.

(I had to edit this, as I left out the write drum kit command in the first go. Sorry.)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Ii - Drum sounds - mix Reply with quote

b1gb1rd wrote:
I'm confused about how to edit the relative mix of a drum kit.

I'm using SEQ mode and have decided to use AA-107 Funk Kit for drums on all my sequences. I want to lower the kick level on the kit.

Help?

thanks
B

clarify ' kick level '

entire kit or part of drum kit ?
like bass drum or kick drum ?

Pitch ?

Volume ?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to first select the right key in any drumkit (here in INT-26) to modify its corresponding samples and parameters, otherwise you're making changes to the wrong key/sound.
b1gb1rd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your replies - I figured it out no Reply with quote

I edit the levels and samples for each key and velocity in global mode.

I was confused because the kick I was hearing in my midi file - was not on the key I thought it was on - so my edits had no effect - more hair loss ....

thanks again
b1gb1rd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your replies - I figured it out no Reply with quote

I edit the levels and samples for each key and velocity in global mode.

I was confused because the kick I was hearing in my midi file - was not on the key I thought it was on - so my edits had no effect - more hair loss ....

thanks again
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I’m not mistaken, all kicks are routed to IFX 2. So just throw a stereo limiter on there and adjust the volume as necessary. Make sure you’re using the drum routing as opposed to routing the whole kit to an effect.

I’m in the middle of a move but if you have questions I might be able to make a video for you in a few days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: