Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Roland Fantom 2019
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Koekepan wrote:
At this rate I'm idly wondering whether Behringer's teased W mightn't be a workstation.

I mean, why not? Everyone else is pretending to have not-quite-workstations, why not the big B?

I don't follow Behringer. If they produced a capable w/s , close to Kronos or Fantom with a sharp price, that might be a game changer. Not holding my breath.

There are rumors about an expandable hybrid analog/digital workstation, but I have no idea if there’s any truth in it.
I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

The funny thing is that not long ago I quipped about Behringer coming up with a workstation if the others no longer believe in it, so who knows? Although the hint of a ‘magical new way to test cables’ points more towards something modular or a mixing desk.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a sidenote concerning the Behringer tease, I can’t imagine a 3-part lengthy teasing period for just a touch screen mixing console or a modular system (which alledgedly has been in development for 30 years), and I’m beginning to think that the rumor of a workstation may be true after all.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know whether they're specifically saying that it's been in development for thirty years, or just that Uli's had it in the back of his mind for thirty years.

I could still see it being modular - but I'm not sure why Behringer would do that. Maybe to enter the module world the same way that they did the pedal world?

It could be a drum machine along the lines of an MPC, which is philosophically adjacent to a workstation, I suppose. They've been around that long too, haven't they?
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
Don't know whether they're specifically saying that it's been in development for thirty years, or just that Uli's had it in the back of his mind for thirty years.

My guess is that Behringer has been around for 30 years, and so this is a way of saying essentially "everything we've been doing up until now has been leading to this!" 30 years of musical gear development and know-how brings us...

Simple marketing hyperbole. Smile
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tuner, then.

Probably a tuner in Realtree - or maybe an option for Mossy Oak as well.

Now I have a mental image of an M1 clone, with handles for transport, in Mossy Oak. That will beat the Fantom in the marketplace!
Poseidon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland Fantom review By Dave Stewart (Sound On Sound)

Part I -> https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roland-fantom
Part II -> https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roland-fantom?page=2
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Roland Fantom review By Dave Stewart (Sound On Sound)

Part I -> https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roland-fantom
Part II -> https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/roland-fantom?page=2

good stuff, thanks !
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks as if the PC4 is more of a workstation than the Roland, at this point.

Go, Kurzweil!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if so, the PC4, at $2000 is a no brainer compared to a $4000

maybe a basic comparison and looking at the ' sum of all parts ' would be educational
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest advantage of the Fantom is in its operational ergonomics. It has a LOT more knobs/sliders/buttons than the PC4, including a whole bank of controls dedicated to synth functions, and endless knobs with LED indicators, and LED indicators on the sliders, and a set of trigger pads, and a pitch/mod lever in addition to its wheels, and touchscreen operation. The other big advantage is probably its Logic/Mainstage integration.

Besides being a lot cheaper, PC4 advantages include much lighter travel weight on an 88 (the only size available), a drawbar organ engine, an FM synth engine, optional ribbon, 2 GB of space for loading custom keyboard-playable sounds.

Which sounds and action you prefer will be subjective, though by reputation, it seems like most would probably say the Roland has the better action.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VAST engine is also a pretty big selling point for the Kurzweil. It's a mature, incredibly capable system.

The other factor is that the Kurzweil has real linear sequencing, which Roland (as we've discovered) doesn't do on the new Fantom at all. From a compositional standpoint, this is a killer feature that Roland has just decided to ignore, for reasons best known to themselves.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
The VAST engine is also a pretty big selling point for the Kurzweil. It's a mature, incredibly capable system.

The other factor is that the Kurzweil has real linear sequencing, which Roland (as we've discovered) doesn't do on the new Fantom at all. From a compositional standpoint, this is a killer feature that Roland has just decided to ignore, for reasons best known to themselves.

I have an important requirement on any expensive keyboard.

The LCD has to be large and bright enough[ contrast ?} for me to manage the instrument.

My reading eye sight has worsened over the years and I struggle with tiny print, tiny fonts.

For example, if I bought a Kronos today, I would struggle hugely with their tiny fonts.
Fortunately I have 8 years of finger muscle memory which helps navigation.
Just the same, I need strong reading glasses to use my Kronos LCD.

I tried the MODX and Fantom side by side yesterday. The LCD's are large enough and contrast and colors are well designed for viewing.

I do not need my reading glasses for either MODX or Fantom !
A Huge plus for me, and that requirement box has been ticked.

So your PC4. A 4" LCD. 4 inches ? Much smaller than Kronos LCD.

Any comment on the PC4 LCD ? Is it the LCD approach from 15 years ago ?
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find PC4 screen readability to be better than Kronos. As you'd expect, the PC4's much smaller screen also means it does not present nearly as much information on the screen at once. But even though there is still small type, the resolution/contrast is better.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
I find PC4 screen readability to be better than Kronos. As you'd expect, the PC4's much smaller screen also means it does not present nearly as much information on the screen at once. But even though there is still small type, the resolution/contrast is better.

if its color, and has contrast, that is half the battle. I appreciate your info.

I hope to find and check out a PC4.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Scott wrote:

if its color, and has contrast, that is half the battle. I appreciate your info.

I hope to find and check out a PC4.

Guessing both of ya'll like squinting eyes to an smaller high contrast screen , good luck in the dark or over lit environment. Rolling Eyes .

Having the microstation with an matrix display accidentally dropped a few time still whole and working makes me happy even something similar on casio px5s.
Am I fully happy with them to delve in menu's meh its doable and their sturdy.
Give me a good angle and an easy GUI and I'm fine as long I don't have to squint my eyes.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: