Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa1000 screen not folding back into its bed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Pa1000 screen not folding back into its bed Reply with quote

Well, I guess this is one reason to NOT buy the pa1000! Less to go wrong.

The fold out of the screen to face the player works normally, but when I try to fold the screen back down, it stops at 3/4-1" from fully nesting.

With a flashlight I've carefully examined the innards, and there's nothing that I can see that is blocking the screen from going back flush with the board.

Not too worried about this with home use, but it's an accident waiting to happen for transporting it.

Anyone else have this problem?
---------------------------------------------
By the way, does the Korg warranty transfer to a new owner?
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the screen mechanics are the same as the PA4X and member DonM had this problem and got it fixed.

Do a forum search in PA4X section.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
taichi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen release/close mechanisms are very different for the 4X and 1000 Pete.

Randelph, looking at my Pa1000 there is a spring loaded PIN that I can press down and then it pops up again. Left hand side. Does yours work when you press it down or is it stuck ?

Or looking down on the screen from the top is it twisted to one side ie uneven gap around it ?
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa1000 screen not folding back into its bed Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
Well, I guess this is one reason to NOT buy the pa1000! Less to go wrong.

The fold out of the screen to face the player works normally, but when I try to fold the screen back down, it stops at 3/4-1" from fully nesting.

With a flashlight I've carefully examined the innards, and there's nothing that I can see that is blocking the screen from going back flush with the board.

Not too worried about this with home use, but it's an accident waiting to happen for transporting it.

---------------------------------------------
By the way, does the Korg warranty transfer to a new owner?

You are already having issues with the PA1000? I am sorry - wow.

That really stinks to think that your unit has been potentially
relegated to home use (unless that was your intent for the PA1000 initially).

I am not sure that the warranty can be transferred with a used purchase. I think it also depends on where you bought the unit from...Guitar Center offers an extended warranty on their products, even the used ones. If you bought it from them and got the warranty through them, it would be fixed under GC's warranty plan. I do not remember if you got it from them or not.

While I love the idea of a screen that can be positioned to the angle that suits (there are times where I cannot see the screen on my PA700 in direct light while performing), I do prefer the fixed screen position on the PA700. As yous stated, there is less to go wrong.

I remember people talking about the OASYS's screen having only a certain number of movement operations before needing to be replaced. While the movement operations were in a higher number, the fact it may need to be replaced after a certain period of time was rather depressing (especially considering the HIGH price of the OASYS to begin with back in the day and the fact that they still fetch over $2500 on the used market to this day).

If you had planned on using the PA1000 live, maybe you could get the PA700 for live use and simply transfer much, if not everything, that you use in the PA1000 to it (minus a couple of stock pianos not found on the PA700 that the PA1000 has...) The PA700 units are very fairly priced as new and you can get them for around $1000 on the used market. I can tell you from direct experience that the PA700 is a robust and solid instrument live.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
B.Safe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa1000 screen not folding back into its bed Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:

I've been carrying my PA1000 for over a year now and I haven't had any problems with my screen so far.
Even with a lamp, I can't look into the rails where the arms slide. If it only blocks on one side, maybe something slipped into a rail on yours.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 700 hence no flip out screen.

It may be a dumb question to ask but is there free movement on the release mechanism?

If there is and you push the release button as you would normally push it to release the screen and hold it in that position does that then enable the screen to move?
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading another post that said the warranty on Korg and Yamaha products are not transferable. Bummer if that's true. If anyone has info on that it'd be much appreciated. I like this board so much that I've been babying it, no scratches etc from transportation.

So.... taking another closer look at it I discovered there's 2 pieces of plastic that have broken off. These pieces are part of the back panel to the screen, towards the top, right where there's two small screws. It makes NO sense that these would be broken, they have no exposure or weak points, just part of a back panel, yet these 1/2" by 1" irregular pieces broke off right next to the two screws in this area. Bizarre.

Anyhow, I saw one of these small pieces and then today I noticed that there were 2 spots of breakage. Is the 2d piece lodge behind the screen. A quick blow test gave the tell tale sign, YES! After fishing it out all is well!

@ Pete, yes the screen is secured differently on the Pa4x.

@ Taichi, my screen fits squarely in its bed. I'm surprised though at how flimsy the plastic ratcheting system looks

@ Harry, I bought this board used from a guy in Florida that frequents the Keyboard Corner. At $1,100, which included shipping, I was felt like there was some divine providence there! Really wanted one, didn't have the $1,650 it would take (the lowest price I'd seen). The way I figure it, even without a warranty, I'm still ahead even if I had a $200-$400 shop repair.

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned with how flimsy the mechanism seems. They've used pop up screens many times, hopefully they know what they're doing by now.

And I do love the pop up display, esp when playing in bright sun, but in general it makes it easier to edit stuff.

Thank everyone for input!
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
I was reading another post that said the warranty on Korg and Yamaha products are not transferable. Bummer if that's true. If anyone has info on that it'd be much appreciated. I like this board so much that I've been babying it, no scratches etc from transportation.

So.... taking another closer look at it I discovered there's 2 pieces of plastic that have broken off. These pieces are part of the back panel to the screen, towards the top, right where there's two small screws. It makes NO sense that these would be broken, they have no exposure or weak points, just part of a back panel, yet these 1/2" by 1" irregular pieces broke off right next to the two screws in this area. Bizarre.

Anyhow, I saw one of these small pieces and then today I noticed that there were 2 spots of breakage. Is the 2d piece lodge behind the screen. A quick blow test gave the tell tale sign, YES! After fishing it out all is well!

@ Pete, yes the screen is secured differently on the Pa4x.

@ Taichi, my screen fits squarely in its bed. I'm surprised though at how flimsy the plastic ratcheting system looks

@ Harry, I bought this board used from a guy in Florida that frequents the Keyboard Corner. At $1,100, which included shipping, I was felt like there was some divine providence there! Really wanted one, didn't have the $1,650 it would take (the lowest price I'd seen). The way I figure it, even without a warranty, I'm still ahead even if I had a $200-$400 shop repair.

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned with how flimsy the mechanism seems. They've used pop up screens many times, hopefully they know what they're doing by now.

And I do love the pop up display, esp when playing in bright sun, but in general it makes it easier to edit stuff.

Thank everyone for input!

$1,100 for the PA1000? I would have jumped at that deal too Smile What a great find.

I am glad that everything is working now for you Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great find there Randy.

The 1000 and 700 were released at the same time in mid 2017 with the 700 being first in store for demo use in mid September.

I happened to buy my 700 in September 2017, which was the demo unit and the shop should not have sold it.

Despite the 1000 being released at the same time it was into early 2018 before stock was readily available and here in the UK that was typically March 2018.

Early 1000 models have RCA video outputs and newer models HDMI.

So there you are a bit if a potted history of the 1000 and 700 which have come a long way in only two years.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles,
A potted history, or do you mean spotty?

Yes, the one I've got has the HDMI. I haven't even tried using it, too many other things to learn how to do. Don't really see the point though, rca or hdmi they both have the same low resolution. Perhaps they can improve that with a software upgrade? Or perhaps it's cause HDMI is a more modern standard. Glad to have it but it's a bit of a head scratcher why they'd go to the trouble.

Randy
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
Biggles,
A potted history, or do you mean spotty?

Yes, the one I've got has the HDMI. I haven't even tried using it, too many other things to learn how to do. Don't really see the point though, rca or hdmi they both have the same low resolution. Perhaps they can improve that with a software upgrade? Or perhaps it's cause HDMI is a more modern standard. Glad to have it but it's a bit of a head scratcher why they'd go to the trouble.

Randy

It would be good to have a better resolution of the screen but I have no knowledge of if the screen is capable of displaying at a higher resolution than it currently does.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A further update with my fold-up-screen problem. When I'm at home, I no longer fold the screen back down when I'm done for the night, I only fold it down for travel purposes. Less wear and tear.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update regarding warranty. I emailed Korg usa and this was their response:

"Warranty is valid with an original sales receipt from an authorized dealer. The PA1000 carries a one year manufacturers warranty when purchased from an authorized dealer and it covers parts and labor for manufacturers defects.

The receipt does not have to be in your name, but you would need the original receipt. You would also need a copy of the confirmation email from the registration for the extended year warranty"
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update regarding warranty. I emailed Korg usa and this was their response:

"Warranty is valid with an original sales receipt from an authorized dealer. The PA1000 carries a one year manufacturers warranty when purchased from an authorized dealer and it covers parts and labor for manufacturers defects.

The receipt does not have to be in your name, but you would need the original receipt. You would also need a copy of the confirmation email from the registration for the extended year warranty"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: