Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

88 keys respite from arranger madness

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: 88 keys respite from arranger madness Reply with quote

As much as I love the Pa1000, I miss playing my Nord Stage 88 with weighted action. I've had a problem with the action on the 1000, my fingers adjust to the easy-to-push down semi-weighted action, and then there's various notes as my fingers get closer to the fall board, where it's much harder to press down. Part of this problem is having my fingers 'calibrated' to the easy push down, and then suddenly, it's much hard to push down and my hands aren't ready for it. #1 complaint about this board is the action.

So it''s been a pleasure having my Nord to play and re-acclimate to a weighted board, which strengthens my fingers and gives me a sense of ease, that I have a full 88 notes to play on and that the action is consistent. I find playing weighted keys to be more expressive as well, esp for piano and EPs, the 'weight' or resistance allows a finer nuance. And I find it re-assuring to simply play piano sometimes, not have a million different sounds or Styles to play with, but just piano, basic, solid, playing, not learning or futzing with the technology.

Was thinking of MwH, he had expressed a desire to have this arranger with an 88 note board! Yes! I'm able to do that to an extent, I have the Pa1000 right above the Nord, and can play some of the sounds and trigger the chords for auto-accompaniment, but it's early days and I don't really know what i'm doing yet.

Anyways, I wanted to share my setup in case there's others of you that would like similar capabilities.
- On-Stage Z stand with second tier, they go for about $170 and are super adjustable. I sit when I play, the bottom does adjust upwards but not sure how far. The second tier is also height adjustable, and you can set the angle so you're hovering with the top board just above your bottom board.

It's a wonderful setup if you like having two boards. I love having my 'piano' keyboard available again!

Next step will be to get a mic stand that is incorporated into the keyboard stand! I can also add a tray for an iPad or notebook to this stand.

I've heard some guys gig with this stand. If I did gig, I wouldn't necessarily want to with this stand. It's on the heavier side, but it does fold up somewhat and even has a bag you can buy to make it easier. As a stay at home stand it's really does a nice job.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 88 keys respite from arranger madness Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
As much as I love the Pa1000, I miss playing my Nord Stage 88 with weighted action. I've had a problem with the action on the 1000, my fingers adjust to the easy-to-push down semi-weighted action, and then there's various notes as my fingers get closer to the fall board, where it's much harder to press down. Part of this problem is having my fingers 'calibrated' to the easy push down, and then suddenly, it's much hard to push down and my hands aren't ready for it. #1 complaint about this board is the action.

So it''s been a pleasure having my Nord to play and re-acclimate to a weighted board, which strengthens my fingers and gives me a sense of ease, that I have a full 88 notes to play on and that the action is consistent. I find playing weighted keys to be more expressive as well, esp for piano and EPs, the 'weight' or resistance allows a finer nuance. And I find it re-assuring to simply play piano sometimes, not have a million different sounds or Styles to play with, but just piano, basic, solid, playing, not learning or futzing with the technology.

Was thinking of MwH, he had expressed a desire to have this arranger with an 88 note board! Yes! I'm able to do that to an extent, I have the Pa1000 right above the Nord, and can play some of the sounds and trigger the chords for auto-accompaniment, but it's early days and I don't really know what i'm doing yet.

Anyways, I wanted to share my setup in case there's others of you that would like similar capabilities.
- On-Stage Z stand with second tier, they go for about $170 and are super adjustable. I sit when I play, the bottom does adjust upwards but not sure how far. The second tier is also height adjustable, and you can set the angle so you're hovering with the top board just above your bottom board.

It's a wonderful setup if you like having two boards. I love having my 'piano' keyboard available again!

Next step will be to get a mic stand that is incorporated into the keyboard stand! I can also add a tray for an iPad or notebook to this stand.

I've heard some guys gig with this stand. If I did gig, I wouldn't necessarily want to with this stand. It's on the heavier side, but it does fold up somewhat and even has a bag you can buy to make it easier. As a stay at home stand it's really does a nice job.

I find myself in a similar boat as you. I miss weighted key action when playing live. I get along with it because of thew weight of my weighted board (Lowrey EZP3 is around 50 pounds, much more with case). I am not willing to take this on the road so I make due with the synth action of the PA700 for most of my gigs.

I joined a group last month and my debut with them will be later this month. For those gigs, I will have 2-3 boards, with the PA700 being the main sound maker for me. I am controlling the PA700 with an old Ensoniq Avista 7600 I had lying around. It has boxed keys (like many Casio keyboards do) and the action is better than on the PA700. I enjoy playing the Ensoniq keybed more and it gives me a bit more feedback (not to mention 76 keys vs. 61 on the PA700). The other keyboard will be my M50 (which has keys similar to the PA700).

When I practice, I usually do it on the Lowrey first because of the great weighted action it has. I then will go to the PA700 when at home because the majority of the work I do is on that unit.

I spent all day yesterday writing songs for another group I am in, on the PA700. For putting in parts (drums, bass, etc...) the action on the PA700 is fine. For anything, piano-centric, I would use the Lowrey and just flip a couple of switches on my MIDI patchbay so that I can control everything from the Lowrey for piano-centric music.

Hopefully, Korg will release another 88-key arranger and pattern it after at least the PA700. Putting a great key action in a board and then giving an engine from a lesser arranger is kind of dumb, in my book. Give the thing some real horsepower and watch those things fly off the shelves...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Yipsiotis

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always do this..

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=119810

Not so difficult actually....

The keybed on the studiologic is the same as nord...
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yipsiotis wrote:
You can always do this..

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=119810

Not so difficult actually....

The keybed on the studiologic is the same as nord...

I remember your post Smile I love what you did with the PA700. I am not ready to tear mine apart just yet.

I would also like to keep speakers, or get new ones. because the speakers every day in my job.

I would love to see an 88-key version of this with an updated/more powerful speaker system. The PA588 comes to mind when thinking of an example Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: