Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Music Display
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taichi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Music Display Reply with quote

Hi all

I was going to purchase an iPad Pro 12.9 inches to display my sheet music in conjunction with say ForeScore music finder. But then found the iPad Pro was the same price, or more expensive, than a new Pa 700. How crazy is that ? Look at them side by side and Apple are having a laugh.

Now I am not mean when it comes to music but can you guys suggest an alternative setup with a different “monitor” etc. Obviously would need a page turner, otherwise keep it simple. Main objective is to display digital sheet music. I have always used sheet music, books and stuff that I scan in pdf on the computer. Like most of us I suppose.

Would be very grateful for any suggestions or things that you do. Or maybe you think my first idea of an iPad Pro is the best ?? But like I said for that money I could buy another Korg. Others could find this topic interesting enough for one of you guys to start a thread.

Thanks
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Apple prices are terrible.

That said what are your alternatives?

IPad
Other make of Tablet
Laptop
Macbook
Paper

You could get a Windows laptop and a foot operated Bluetooth page turner for less than $300.

Or

Instead of an iPad Pro you could get a Macbook Air and have access to Logic Pro or just Main Stage for access to 6 Gb of vst instruments in addition to your music collection
Yipsiotis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a few different solutions...

Started with android, and tried quite a few programs, but nothing really worked smooth. Perhaps someone can suggest an app, but I never managed to find something that worked exactly the way I wanted.

Then I tried a windows tablet, it was better, but still not smooth.

Finally switched to iPad, and it's really much better. Using the OnSong app, it's super flexible.

You can pick up an iPad 9.7 or an iPad air 10.5 much cheaper.
The pro models are quite expensive, especially if you buy them just to read music.
dacca

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have this is super
https://www.songbookplus.com/
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're OK with used or older models that are new and discounted, you can save 2-$400 on iPads. You barely need any horsepower to run a program for what you want to do.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
If you're OK with used or older models that are new and discounted, you can save 2-$400 on iPads. You barely need any horsepower to run a program for what you want to do.

No quite what I find in my experience

I have an old 16Gb iPad that I use with OnSong and by the time I have a few music related Apps on it there is not much room left.

So I would say a 32Gb iPad is the minimum to give some storage room.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Biggles,
By horsepower I meant processing power. Yes, the amount of memory can be a real achilles heal, I bought the 9.7" iPad Pro, and only have 32GB. Now I know, I'd only settle for 64GB if I bought another. But it must be pretty trivial for the processor, even on older iPads, to run these display apps.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to bear in mind of a second user iPad is its age.

It will probably need to run the latest OS to enable the Apps to function.

All Apps have had to be rewritten to 64 bit in the last couple of years.

I fell foul of this updating the OS only to find Apps would not work until they were rewritten hence new Apps need new OS
taichi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles, you never fail to reply to a post, it means a lot after people go to the trouble to write and support the forum. Your posts are always in a language that we can understand and relate to.

Same for you too Randelph, together you make a good team. Hope your touchscreen display is OK ?

Yipsiotis, interesting the different things that you have tried. Looks like what I am trying to do now. Sure others will find your info` helpful too. Thanks.

Dacca, I am looking at Songbook Plus now, thanks.

So: 64Gb minimum

A4 size minimum

Could find an older version of iPad/laptop etc that would keep cost down and still easily do the job of displaying digital music.

Look at more music finder apps.

** Quote from Biggles just in. “----latest OS required to enable the Apps to function. ---- new Apps need new OS ---” Well done with this one Biggles it really makes sense. Get it wrong and could cost us money. Most important I think this will turn out to be.

Will be back with update. Thanks all very much. Many heads are better than one. (especially when that one head is mine)
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taichi wrote:
Biggles, you never fail to reply to a post, it means a lot after people go to the trouble to write and support the forum. Your posts are always in a language that we can understand and relate to.

Same for you too Randelph, together you make a good team. Hope your touchscreen display is OK ?

Yipsiotis, interesting the different things that you have tried. Looks like what I am trying to do now. Sure others will find your info` helpful too. Thanks.

Dacca, I am looking at Songbook Plus now, thanks.

So: 64Gb minimum

A4 size minimum

Could find an older version of iPad/laptop etc that would keep cost down and still easily do the job of displaying digital music.

Look at more music finder apps.

** Quote from Biggles just in. “----latest OS required to enable the Apps to function. ---- new Apps need new OS ---” Well done with this one Biggles it really makes sense. Get it wrong and could cost us money. Most important I think this will turn out to be.

Will be back with update. Thanks all very much. Many heads are better than one. (especially when that one head is mine)

Many thanks for your kind comments, much appreciated.

What I did not say in the other location about an iPad is that I had not updated my old 16Gb iPad and when I found out about OnSong I tried to buy it only for the it to fail due to the old OS.

It has been a struggle clearing storage yet keeping the music apps and even now I am unsure just how much use this will be for storing digital versions of my sheet music.

Hence a 32Gb iPad would be my minimum but do ensure Photos are not loaded unfortunately this App is one that cannot be removed or if it can I do not know how to do it.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Taichi, I mostly write assuming that others might be beginners, I try to spell things out, it's how my mind works. This can be annoying for people who are more advanced, no matter the subject matter, and dislike too many words and unnecessary explanations! I should have been a manual writer!

Yes, I didn't think of the OS, Apple has a way of ditching their products after awhile, but that's true of any vendor.

If you were needing the iPad mostly for display purposes, then 32GB would suffice. I actually have quite a few music apps, and I do all right with 32GB, it was my iPad mini with 16GB that was too small for almost anything.But as more and more apps come out for the iPad, with larger and larger sizes, and using your iPad as a sound module, 64GB is a good starting point.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SALE ALERT!!!!

Just read this at CNET.com, a company is selling refurbed 12.9" iPads for $345!!!! Better act on this immediately, the deal is not likely to last long.

1st generation, so 2015.

NOOOOOOOOO!
Just checked the website, they sold out. But this is an indication that there are some insanely great deals out there for the 12.9" iPad.
Keymn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dacca wrote:
You must have this is super
https://www.songbookplus.com/

I also find SongbookPlus a much better App. Easier to use...
Keymn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Music reader Reply with quote

Songbook plus is the choice if you have a Korg. It already has a spot for the code or songbook number. Those other apps, you have to be more midi savvy
—-I have been using it for over 5 years since my PA1x. Now with pa1000.

https://www.korg.com/download/global/paseries/tutorials/Using_SongBook_plus_for_iPad.pdf
ime95mos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything for Android?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: