Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Storage Temparature

View previous topic :: View next topic  
waayne

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Storage Temparature Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm wondering about if the Korg Kronos can take any damage if you store it in the car and it is freezing. Is that harmful?

Thanks in advance!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Korg Kronos manual does address temperature.

It will give a range.

You could define 'freezing '. 40 degrees ? 30 degrees ? 10 degrees ?
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to be kind to mine and avoid high and low temperatures whenever possible. But, think about this, it’s very likely that during shipping that it was subjected to some harsh temperatures.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg specify the in-use temperature range as +5 to +40degC. In general, the storage temperature range of electronic devices is normally wider than the operating temp range, but by how much, Korg do not specify.

The things to avoid are firstly, wide swings in temperature, which cause expansion and contraction, leading to unreliability of internal connections, and secondly, exposing the cold keyboard to awarm humid environment, leading to condensation internally, which will undoubtedly lead to problems. If the keyboard is cold and brought indoors, keep it in the case/bag/box it was in, and give it a couple of hours to warm up.

This, of course, applies to any electronic gear, unless it's been built to military spec and suitably sealed against the elements.

Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely agree with voip. As for a camera for example : we must let it in an hermetic bag and then, back indoor, let it rewarm until it get back to ambiant temperature.
Of course, putting a Kronos into an hermetic bag won't be so easy !

Personnaly, I won't never risk to let my Kronos outdoor with extreme temperatures (be in an hermetic bag or not).
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with voip too. But also think about this. Fifty years ago some no where near technologically advanced gear as we have today went to the moon and came back. And much of what we have today grew out of the space race. And I am sure if there have been any known cases of hardware failures due extreme ambient temperature on any electronic device in the world, we'd have heard about it.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to prove that a failure in an individual piece of equipment is due to temperature extremes, and who is going to go to the effort and expense of doing a full forensic examination on a cell phone that just stopped working, after being left outside in the heat of the sun followed by a cold night under a clear sky, which I've experienced. There is a body of evidence out there that shows failure rates tending to increase as temperature swings get larger.

Electronics assemblies intended for high reliability applications are normally temperature cycled and repeatedy tested, to weed out the problem weak solder joints and components. The US and other space programs have massive environmental chambers to temperature cycle entire spacecraft. High reliabilty telecoms equipment routinely goes through temperature cycling and testing during manufacture, to reduce failures in the field, and the improvement is dramatic. Arguably, modern PCB assemblies, using surface mount components, are more prone to failure, because differences between printed circuit board and component expansion and contraction rates with temperature, create stresses which have nowhere to go. At least with components having leads, the leads can flex, reducing the internal stresses caused by temperature variations.

For some bedtime reading on the subject, search for: MIL-HDBK-217-F.

Also:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/4103158_Power_cycling_with_high_temperature_swing_of_discrete_components_based_on_different_technologies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: