Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos balanced TRS outputs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nachoseret

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Kronos balanced TRS outputs Reply with quote

I use the Kronos multiple outputs when playing live and therefore need to carry many cables and DI's to my gigs (6 DI's, 6 TS and 6 XLR plus spare). However, it became a bit of a hassle since many of them broke or got lost in festivals. In an attempt to solve this issue, I've been thinking about replacing all my broken/lost cables and DI's with TRS cables and TRS-XLR adapters to take advantage of the Kronos balanced outputs. My question is, would I still be able to use a TRS-TRS cable to plug the balanced output of my Kronos into an unbalanced TS input if I needed to?
Or, in more general terms, what would happen if I wanted to use a TRS-TRS cable to plug a balanced source into an unbalanced input? Would it still sound just fine?
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by 'The Music Store Guy' that plain 'ol unbalanced cables work just fine and that's what I've been using for six years with no problems. Having said that, if you're dealing with longer cables (10-12 feet) you may get some noise. In that case I would used the TRS cables.

Something else you might want to think about is using a small mixer on stage to send your signal to the FOH rather than all the DI boxes, if that would work for your situation.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch this video.

https://youtu.be/ZlT32D-0tRU

Read the Specs in the in the OG. The outputs are:

1/4” TRS balanced
Nominal Level: +4.0 dBu
Maximum Level: +16.0 dBu

This is professional line level and you can run this to FOH without a DI and even without a mixer. A TRS (at the Kronos) and XLR (at FOH) cable would work fine, although the FOH might need to put a pad on the input at the board since the Kronos output is Line Level.
NormC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still recommend a DI to FOH. Simply for protection against accidental phantom power application and the optional ground lift for noise problems.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

NormC wrote:
I would still recommend a DI to FOH. Simply for protection against accidental phantom power application and the optional ground lift for noise problems.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought...

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-should-i-pad-or-di-line-level-signal

The Kronos outputs are balanced AND line level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: