Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

black keys on kronos 2 88/RH3 stay stuck down

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpabisz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: black keys on kronos 2 88/RH3 stay stuck down Reply with quote

Ive been having issues with my keys for awhile now. but the worst of it is right now. a few keys, only black ones, are not coming back up after I press them. Some keys are worse then others. Some are much slower to come up, while some just stay stuck if I gently move my finger off of them. Regardless, I makes it for a very bad playing experience.

At the moment, I have the keybed apart. When looking at the parts, I literally see nothing wrong. The metal hammers, are not bent, nothing is broken. i swap out hammers from on octave to another, seems to kind of make it better. but I still have 2 black ones, specifically f#4 (just above middle C) and the next black key, G# stay down. Those are the most important for me as they're used quite often. i wouldn't care if they were the ends.

Anyone ever had a problem like this?
I do plan on buying a whole new keybed anyways. Ive played a new one at the store and its literally night and day difference. Its actually fun to play the new one. I just want a temporary fox for now. its 8-10 weeks to get the new keybed in.

thanks

Last edited by mpabisz on Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any idea.

I don't exactly recall all your posts on your K2 key bed

I am confounded to read there is a serious problem like this.

Without recalling all your history on the K2, my guess is simply a defective
key bed

Did you buy your K2 factory new and did the defects occur during your first 2 years of ownership ?
mpabisz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Did you buy your K2 factory new and did the defects occur during your first 2 years of ownership ?

I did buy it factory new in 2015.

The problems started, id say about about in 2018, so way past any warranty.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpabisz wrote:
GregC wrote:

I did buy it factory new in 2015.

The problems started, id say about about in 2018, so way past any warranty.

Sorry to read that. Sometimes, these big co's are sympathetic when an expensive product is out of warranty by 2 years.

My expectation is that they key bed should be defect free for 5 years.
2 years of normal usage is minimal use.

If Kronos was a $1000 keyboard I would have less expectation for longevity.

But a $3000-$4000 key board ? I would argue for better warranty coverage no matter what the fine print says.

Sorry this is not helpful.

Just the same, get persuasive with your Service Center
and use them as an advocate to give you a major break on part and labor cost.

They know how to work on Korg, on your behalf.
mpabisz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Just the same, get persuasive with your Service Center
and use them as an advocate to give you a major break on part and labor cost.

They know how to work on Korg, on your behalf.

well funny you should say that, they quoted me 1.5 hours of work to do the labour, at 80$/hour lmao. took me 20 mins to get to the picture i posted. i definitely will be doing it myself. half an hour is all that is needed.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Since you disassembled the action, it should now be easy to pinpoint the cause. Here are a few tests I would try next.

1) On a few badly behaving black keys, remove them and their metal hammers, then replace only the black plastic keys (without hammers) with the blade springs correctly in their position. Do not replace the adjacent white keys besides them yet for the test. Move the black keys while without their hammers. Do you sense friction ? If so, causes could include lack of lubricant and/or bent end key guides.

2) Remove again a few badly behaving black keys and their white adjacent ones, but let all the metal hammers in place. Try moving the black key hammers while on their pivots, pushing on the slightly circled surfaces (delicately use a tiny screwdriver/tool with the smallest tip you can find, instead of your finger so to not remove the lubricant there). Despite their weight, you should not sense much friction while moving them (hard to explain in words, but I know how to "feel" them). If you feel excessive friction there, the cause is instead the hammer pivots (visually inspect their "half circle" section underneath) and/or their plastic supports on the metal keybed which might be worn.

From there, I could give you other ideas depending on your answers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: