Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help syncing Volca Drum with SQ-1..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kroy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Need help syncing Volca Drum with SQ-1.. Reply with quote

Here he has Volca Beats and SQ-1 synced.
He is cabling Sync Out on Volca Beats to Sync In on Sq-1.
When I try this with Volca Drum and SQ-1 nothing happens on SQ-1 when I start Volca Drum.
I have tried changing Sync polarity on SQ-1 and Sync input/output on Volca Drum to Once a step.
is there something I'm missing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNmdlX3jBYU&t=409s

Last edited by Kroy on Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
slug

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sync does not contain a start/stop message. If you wish to start both your units by pressing play on the master unit, you need to connect them via the MIDI connector.
Kroy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slug wrote:
Sync does not contain a start/stop message. If you wish to start both your units by pressing play on the master unit, you need to connect them via the MIDI connector.

Ah, thank you. I guess he must be using USB/DAW to send SQ-1 CTL msg in the above video then..
Using the MIDI connector - it seems to work well but there is one little shortcoming I can't seem to find a solution to - if I have the default MIDI Ch settings on both units (SQ-1 MIDI Ch1, Korg Drum MIDI Ch 1-6), then the SQ-1 plays Part 1 on the Drum. If I set the Drum to MIDI Ch 16, it plays Part 5. I have the latest firmware installed on the Drum (0114).
Is there a way to set this up so the SQ-1 just sends Sync to the Drum without playing any of the Drum's parts?
slug

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kroy wrote:
Is there a way to set this up so the SQ-1 just sends Sync to the Drum without playing any of the Drum's parts?

Yes - just have the SQ1 set to any MIDI channel that is not being used by the Volca Drum, including the global channel which may be 16?
In this case usually channel 7 would be fine, certainly works with the test i have just done. If you havent already, i would recommend updating your Volca Drum to the latest version as some MIDI changes were implemented.
Kroy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slug wrote:
Kroy wrote:

Yes - just have the SQ1 set to any MIDI channel that is not being used by the Volca Drum, including the global channel which may be 16?
In this case usually channel 7 would be fine, certainly works with the test i have just done. If you havent already, i would recommend updating your Volca Drum to the latest version as some MIDI changes were implemented.

Perfect! SQ-1 to MIDI Ch7 and Volca Drum leave on MIDI Ch 1-6 (default). (yes, I have the latest Firmware).
Thank you for your help!
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can actually start the Volca together with just a Sync cable. You have to plug a cable on the Sync in of the master Volca, hit play on all the others, you'll notice they won't start and as soon you remove the Sync In cable from the master they will start together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: