Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will buying the Kronos be good for me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emrys wrote:

That's pretty much how I plan to use my Kronos if I buy it....
If I get it can I PM you if I have any connection issues?
Thanks so much!

PM me anytime, man. People here have been really generous with their time and expertise in helping me so I'm happy to help if I can.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current setup here includes a Kronos, connected via USB to a Windoze 10 laptop (not internet connected) running DAW or standalone synths, and a rack of MIDI-connected synths. It all works rather well. The configuration can easily be changed, and there is considerable flexibility in the Kronos in terms of it's configurability, and ease of use of the control surface.

Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Will buying the Kronos be good for me? Reply with quote

Emrys wrote:
I have a home studio with Logic Pro, Motu 828es Audio Interface, with sounds from Omnisphere, Komplete 12 Ultimate, East West Soundcloud.
I have a Komplete 61 key keyboard.
How can I justify buying a Kronos?
Help me out! Very Happy

OK, so what does the Kronos buy you that you don't have today... Here's one "take". Surely not a comprehensive list but these are some things that got me to the buy button and have kept me satisfied after 2 years of ownership.

First, you get a hardware-like experience. You can leave the PC turned off if you want to and not care who tagged you on Facebook or that Acrobat Reader needs an update. No disruptions; just you and a dedicated music making machine. Of course you can still turn the computer on any time you want, and take advantage of that whole world of stuff. But more and more, I find it refreshing to leave it off sometimes. Another thing I find refreshing is that everything is ready to go once it boots. People complain that it takes ~2 min to boot. But I'd rather pay that cost one time up front while I go get a beverage. As opposed to when I switch from preset A to B, the machine has to spend time unloading synth A, loading synth B, loading synth B's samples. Once the Kronos has booted it's all pretty much instant to switch between sounds, no matter what synth engine(s) the preset is from.

Everything is hardware controlled automatically. If there's not a dedicated or assignable controller already mapped to what you want to control, it's as simple as touching it and then you can control it with a slider, encoder, INC/DEC buttons, or key in a value. No mouse. (What's less musical than a mouse?) The Kronos is a cohesive, single manufacturer, and extremely deep musical instrument - all the many pieces are built to work together seamlessly.

You'll get a lot of creative tools. KARMA, RPPR, MIDI step recording, creative routing, integrated chord pads, to name a few. You'll get nine (in my opinion) world class synth engines that cover the major synthesis types. And a comprehensive multi-sampling and re-sampling system. Pretty much any effect you could ever want.

You'll get a couple thousand presets to start working with. One thing that impressed me is how deep many of them are. It's not just 'check out this sound for a sec and move to the next one'. You'll want to mess with all of the hardware controls that have been assigned to them (e.g. vector joystick, X/Y joystick, RT knobs, etc.). You'll find worlds of variation in some of them in addition to performance controls, without having to do what I'd call synth programming. There are quite a few sound packs from Korg and 3rd parties if you ever need more.

Assuming you get a model with the RH3 keybed, you'll have a really nice keyboard (in my subjective opinion) that feels great for piano, but that also lets you move fast enough to play synth and organ parts.

What everyone says about the learning curve is true. But you don't have to master everything right away. You'll turn it on and be delighted by it pretty much immediately. Watch the video manual from Korg and you'll feel reasonably competent. But it is so very deep - the manual is like 2,000 pages. To truly master it will take some time. There's a lifetime worth of exploration in this board. As for me, I'm enjoying the journey. The manual usually tells me what I need to know. In the rare cases it doesn't, there are some generous and very knowledgeable people here on korgforums who have helped me out.

Maybe something in there is a small push for you.
Emrys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
Emrys wrote:

That's pretty much how I plan to use my Kronos if I buy it....
If I get it can I PM you if I have any connection issues?
Thanks so much!

PM me anytime, man. People here have been really generous with their time and expertise in helping me so I'm happy to help if I can.

Thanks Chris!
Emrys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer.

As I mentioned earlier, I fell in love with Korg sounds almost 30 years ago when I used to literally almost everyday go to the nearest music shop and play on the 01/W for hours as all the different sounds just brought out the musical creativity that wouldn't stop.

Also it is a big relief for me to already have my DAW, so, that is one area I don't have to worry about in the recording area!

Thanks so much for mentioning the RH3 keyed. It doesn't come in the 61 key model.

The fact is that it comes down to this; if I am lucky to have about 20 good years left in me to play music, I might as well do it with the soft and hard ware that makes me the most happiest......If I can afford it lol

I also feel a lot more comfortable knowing that I have found some good folk to ask question when the arise

Thanks so much!
Wink
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree. The #1 thing about a musical instrument is that it should inspire you to make your best music. If it doesn't do that, it could have a feature list 1000 miles long and it doesn't matter!

If you're going for the 61 key model, you're right, it has a different synth action keybed. I can't offer an opinion on it since I've never played one. Maybe others can. The 61 key model definitely has a weight advantage. The 88 with the RH3 is a heavy beast!
Emrys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning my 'itchy' finger was sooooo close to pulling the trigger and buying the Kronos. However, my conversation with Greg keeps popping in my mind as we discussed waiting until the NAMM show which is only a month away!!!!!
Thanks Greg lol...Your voice is traveling up here to Sacramento Smile
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emrys wrote:
waiting until the NAMM show

There's something to be said for buying the latest and greatest. That's what the Kronos was once upon a time, and I'm sure it was head and shoulders over most of what was out at the time of its release. If there's a new keyboard announced at NAMM, perhaps it will be even that much better. It'll also be version 1.0 of a technology based product.

As a point of reference, I make a living developing software, so I may not have the normal perspective on this stuff as I know the rushed, "we'll fix it later" mentality that takes over once you're trying to hit a marketing driven (aka arbitrary) deadline.

I've been driving Corvettes for the past couple of decades. I had a 5th generation (C5) for years and skipped over the C6 because it didn't bring much new to the party. Then the C7 came out and it was massively better in every way than the 5 and 6 combined. I didn't buy it.

When my friends asked why, I told them the last thing I needed was to be hurtling down the freeway well in excess of the posted speed limit in 3000 pounds of 1.0 technology. No thanks.

I waited until it had been out a couple of years, all the bugs had been shaken out, and then I bought one. And it's been an awesome experience. Pretty sure that wouldn't have been the case if I'd bought the first one that rolled off the assembly line.

I also have a Kemper guitar amp head. It's mature technology and is an outstanding piece of gear. This past year they released the Kemper Stage, the same gizmo only in a floorboard. It's been embarrassing to watch as countless hardware quality issues surface, people return units two or three times, etc. And that's without counting the software glitches.

Kemper is exactly the kind of product that comes to mind when you think German quality (something the Japanese also excel at), but first generation releases are often like this. Eventually it'll get settled down, the QC and software issues will be fixed and I'm sure it'll be another great product.

So, with regards to NAMM, the question you need to ask yourself is if you enjoy all the typical hassles that go with being an early adopter if it means you're first in line for the next new thing, or if you just want something that works. Regardless of what's announced at NAMM, the Kronos will still do what it currently does. Also, an announcement at a trade show doesn't mean it's actually ready to buy.

Of course, there are no wrong or right approaches, but if you're considering being an early adopter that's a different experience than buying something that's already been sorted out.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
Emrys wrote:
waiting until the NAMM show

Regardless of what's announced at NAMM, the Kronos will still do what it currently does. Also, an announcement at a trade show doesn't mean it's actually ready to buy.

Of course, there are no wrong or right approaches, but if you're considering being an early adopter that's a different experience than buying something that's already been sorted out.

Thats a good point. NAMM new product announcements are notoriously slippery and try a buyers patience. Often the retail price isn't decided or official until after NAMM.

I don't know if history or generalities mean much. There is some trend of NAMM new product shipping by April or in 60 days from NAMM.
Kronos 2011 wasn't ready until May/June in the US from my recall.
And the waiting list was very long.

Kronos 2011 was a no brainer IMO. Other then a bad batch of key beds and some poor QC on a few controls like the JogWheel.

Thats all history.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:

There's something to be said for buying the latest and greatest. That's what the Kronos was once upon a time, and I'm sure it was head and shoulders over most of what was out at the time of its release.

I feel like it actually still is, especially if we're only including all-in-one keyboard workstations in the competition. There are newer flagship keyboard offerings from competitors that target to be better than Kronos in certain areas, but no one has made a Kronos killer IMO. If I were going to buy a new workstation today, I feel reasonably certain I'd still pick the K. Smile

You make some good and interesting points about the downsides of waiting for something new.
Emrys

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what guys???
The fact is that the Kronos is a badass beast!!!
I will be buying one REAL soon.
I will keep you posted!!!
Thanks a bunch!
Poseidon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emrys wrote:
You know what guys???
Thanks a bunch!

Restrain your impulsiveness !
If you use Logic Pro, Kronos is not for you, half of the features will be wasted.
If you are planning to gig, I won't say a word, because there is nothing to compete with the dying "BEAST"

KRONOS is OLD and UNDEPOWERED shipped with ABANDONWARE !
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:

If you are planning to gig, I won't say a word, because there is nothing to compete with the dying "BEAST"

There seems to be an element of contradiction.

Whilst the Kronos probably won't do a full orchestral epic filmscore in one take without a bit of note stealing, as is, if it was possible to adapt the high polyphony streaming capability of the SGX-2 engine for strings and other instruments, then its ability to cope with delivering a full orchestral complement might be surprising.

There are plenty of "dying BEASTS" still being used out there, whether stage or studio, because of their unique qualities. The Kronos is hardly dying, in that it is still on sale and supported.

As far as abandonware is concerned, the Kronos essentially comes with embedded firmware, specific for the task. Although it contains a PC motherboard, it is hardly a computer in the traditional sense.

Last edited by voip on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
[q

Thank you ! I am writing an upbeat pop song and it needs a title.

Old and Abandoned is perfect !
Wink
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Emrys wrote:
You know what guys???
Thanks a bunch!

Restrain your impulsiveness !
If you use Logic Pro, Kronos is not for you, half of the features will be wasted.

What has using Logic Pro got anything to do with the Kronos?

Last edited by BobTheDog on Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: