Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SEQ Record Issue..... Resolved!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: SEQ Record Issue..... Resolved! Reply with quote

Here’s the setup.... I have 5 tracks recorded and everything works great until I work with track 6. Track 6 is a mono program that will be used to glide up from a low note to a high note (about 3 octaves). In program mode it works perfectly.

When I am in record mode and I play and record track 6 everything sounds great until I listen to the play back. The pitch on track 6 always sounds like it starts somewhere around middle C drops to the low note before climbing to the high note.

Has everyone had this problem? Found a fix? Thanks

Last edited by Falcon2e on Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not at the moment in front on my Kronos.
I think you should use exclusive messages in the edit mode of the track 6 to point exactly the moent in the starting mesure of the begining on the glide.
Then, if my memory serves me well, everytime you will play your song the glide will flow perfectly and exactly as you want - from the start to the end of it.
Sorry if my answer does not fit exactly your question.

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update..... I continued to fail to achieve what I was hoping to do with my recording. I did come up with a ‘fix’. I recorded the passage I wanted on track 6 as a sample. Then I converted the sample to a program and inserted it into my recording. Kind of a strange way to make everything work, but eventually got it done.
davekalbach

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
Update..... I continued to fail to achieve what I was hoping to do with my recording. I did come up with a ‘fix’. I recorded the passage I wanted on track 6 as a sample. Then I converted the sample to a program and inserted it into my recording. Kind of a strange way to make everything work, but eventually got it done.

Just curious - in creating the sample, does this use more memory and drive space?

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“does this use more memory?” I don’t know. The sample that I created to make my recording work properly is less than 8 seconds long so I’m not very concerned about the disk space.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: SEQ Record Issue..... Resolved! Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
Here’s the setup.... I have 5 tracks recorded and everything works great until I work with track 6. Track 6 is a mono program that will be used to glide up from a low note to a high note (about 3 octaves). In program mode it works perfectly.

When I am in record mode and I play and record track 6 everything sounds great until I listen to the play back. The pitch on track 6 always sounds like it starts somewhere around middle C drops to the low note before climbing to the high note.

Great that you found a workaround by sampling your glide. I have a guess as to why it wasn't working originally, if you're interested.

So presuming you used portamento for the glide, the main thing to consider here is the sequencer resets every track to its starting state when it starts playback from the first measure. And that's probably why the glide is beginning on middle C every time. My guess is that the sequencer sort of says the default starting note location if nothing has been played yet is middle C (or note 64). This is only really relevant for portamento. In other words, the portamento needs a starting note reference. You need to prep for that.

There are a couple of ways you could address this. One way is to play your starting note a bit earlier in the sequence so that later the starting note reference is ready to go when you do want to glide up. Just a very light tap to set it and you can edit track 6 to put that early note at a velocity of 1 to keep it from being heard, for example. Or you can turn the volume down on the track until it's ready to be heard.

Another way is to turn off portamento on that track until you need it. You can switch it on just a tick after playing the first note before you press the second note for the glide. This way there won't be any glide happening from the default middle C when you the play the first note. If portamento isn't set to a switch, you can insert turning it on manually into your measure.

I think the first way is easier. But either way should get the job done, maybe ... should you need to do so in a future recording. :)
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: SEQ Record Issue..... Resolved! Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
Falcon2e wrote:

Great that you found a workaround by sampling your glide. I have a guess as to why it wasn't working originally, if you're interested.

So presuming you used portamento for the glide, the main thing to consider here is the sequencer resets every track to its starting state when it starts playback from the first measure. And that's probably why the glide is beginning on middle C every time. My guess is that the sequencer sort of says the default starting note location if nothing has been played yet is middle C (or note 64). This is only really relevant for portamento. In other words, the portamento needs a starting note reference. You need to prep for that.

There are a couple of ways you could address this. One way is to play your starting note a bit earlier in the sequence so that later the starting note reference is ready to go when you do want to glide up. Just a very light tap to set it and you can edit track 6 to put that early note at a velocity of 1 to keep it from being heard, for example. Or you can turn the volume down on the track until it's ready to be heard.

Another way is to turn off portamento on that track until you need it. You can switch it on just a tick after playing the first note before you press the second note for the glide. This way there won't be any glide happening from the default middle C when you the play the first note. If portamento isn't set to a switch, you can insert turning it on manually into your measure.

I think the first way is easier. But either way should get the job done, maybe ... should you need to do so in a future recording. Smile

Thanks for taking the time to share your ideas. I tried a variation of your idea of starting the portamento slightly early and then deleting the unwanted measure, but It didn’t work for me. I will try some experiments though next time. Thanks!
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: SEQ Record Issue..... Resolved! Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to share your ideas. I tried a variation of your idea of starting the portamento slightly early and then deleting the unwanted measure, but It didn’t work for me. I will try some experiments though next time. Thanks!

You're welcome.

Don't delete the measure. That would negate the starting note. You just need to make sure the note you play early is not able to be heard, either by a very low velocity level or using the mixer to turn down the track volume. But you still want the note in there for when you do play your glide later. You can do that at any point in the song before the glide by the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: