Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help with my PA4X

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steamdude

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Need help with my PA4X Reply with quote

Hello. Wanted to know if there are any keyboard seminars or expos coming to the Northeast anytime soon. Got a lot of questions regarding my PA4X. Also, I purchased my Pa4x early last year and hardly play the thing. I spent the past 20 years on Roland arrangers, G1000 and G70. I love my G70 and find it easy to play. I guess I'm not used to the OS of the PA4X, cause every time I try to play one of my songs that sound great on the G70, it sounds like crap on the Pa4x. Chords get messed up, nothing flows smoothly. I tried factory reset to no avail. I love the board, keyboard action and sounds, but I just can't play the darn thing. Looked online and can't find any advice to get through this and contacting Korg is useless. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start off watching the Korg Video Manual tutorials since these will help you understand the way Korg Pa’s work.

In particular watch and replicate action in Songbook tutorial.

Watch the long 38 minute Songbook tutorial on Korg Youtube channel.

Look at the thread here on Eq and Limiter since making adjustments here changes the sounds dramatically.

Download the Osimo file fir the 4X and extract it to your thumb drive, load it into your keyboard and you have over 100 extra Songbook enties of all types of songs and you can use these as the basis for your own songs in addition to using the standard Styles.

A Songbook entry is basically an appropriate Style saved with all the customised settings, keyboard sets, pads, fills etc included so it is a simple task in selecting the Song means you are ready to play.

Korg helpdesk cannot help you, only you can help yourself by sticking at it and learning how to use your Pa. Yes, it is like learning Klingon but if I can do it anyone can.

Good luck.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help with my PA4X Reply with quote

Steamdude wrote:
I guess I'm not used to the OS of the PA4X, cause every time I try to play one of my songs that sound great on the G70,
it sounds like crap on the Pa4x. Chords get messed up, nothing flows smoothly.

Your songs , probably old mid files , need to be adapted in nowadays instruments mapping and features of latest arrangers due to play correctly ,
nothing to do with OS and your learning curve in PaSeries !
The huge upgrade level you have done , can be easily proved with just playing similar factory styles & sounds of both arrangers.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Steamdude

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful responses. I don't play midi files on my boards. Just free style. Sorry for not making that clear. If I play a song on the Pa4x, the chords get messy, like when I play a major chord, at times I'll hear a minor note that throws the whole song off, whereas the same song will be nice and clear on the Roland. Biggles is right in that I gotta watch the videos. Thanks guys.
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bum note that has stuck out, and never been corrected by Korg for many years. It was there in the i30, the Pa1X, and in the Pa3X. I don't have a Pa4X, but I really hope it's been fixed by now.

Country Ballad 2. Play a minor chord in Variation 3 of that style. There's a Pedal Steel note in the accompaniment that is really off. Any time I use that style, I'm sure to mute that acc track. Shame really, as a Pedal Steel sound works nicely for that style.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steamdude wrote:
If I play a song on the Pa4x, the chords get messy, like when I play a major chord, at times I'll hear a minor note that throws the whole song off, whereas the same song will be nice and clear on the Roland.

There are 2 basic adjustments for playing flawlessly style's chords , as first chord memory must be enabled and Global / Chord Recognition settings
must be on fingered chord mode for most users.
By default Pa4X is set at those settings but in case you have altered by unawareness any important settings , go to Media/Utility/factory Restore/
uncheck "ALL" , select only Global square selection and restore.
This will recall only all factory settings for playing styles properly.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find it useful to go to korgworld.co.uk which is the Korg UK website that they have specifically for their Pa series.

On the webpage it will show about their webinars, click on the link and register.

You then have access to the live webinars which are fully interactive and take place usually monthly at 17:00 UK time. They cover all topics and questions can be asked pf the Korg staffers presenting the webinar. If you cannot make it live simply leave the question for them prior.

The webinars are available to view after the event and currently there are about 12 with each being about 60 minutes long that are available.

We are lucky in the UK as Korg are brilliant with their support and even have events at various music stores where you can have one to one sessions with them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: