Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two new arranger keyboards launched - Korg i3 and EK-50L
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KJandKT

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Two new arranger keyboards launched - Korg i3 and EK-50L Reply with quote

https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/i3/
https://www.korg.com/uk/products/synthesizers/ek_50_l/
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am intrigued by the XE20 and the I3, personally.

They are fairly priced, for sure. Korg is really trying to take away a lot of consumer-based business away from Yamaha with these different models.

I own a PA700 and LOVE it. I would LOVE to have an 88-key unit as a bottom keyboard for my band and solo gigs and also something that might work as a backup for the PA700 if it ever needs repair. The obvious choice is to get another PA700, but something like the XE20 may also fit the bill (or maybe even the I3).

My only concern with the XE20 is the lack of a 5-pin MIDI jack for controlling my other gear on stage in the band (M50 and Kross 1). If the XE20 would control the PA700 via USB, that would solve a lot of problems for me. Maybe I need a USB Host device (like the Kenton unit) to make this happen.

The I3 has a 5-pin MIDI Out built in, making it perfect for controlling my other gear on stage. That is also an option. I would prefer an 88-key unit though...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50L. Is nearly identical to the EK-50. Added a few instruments and ten dance styles. This seems like an odd addition?
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csteen wrote:
The 50L. Is nearly identical to the EK-50. Added a few instruments and ten dance styles. This seems like an odd addition?

I think that it added more than that. Their website also says that they double the output of the speaker system. It is a next logical upgrade for that model, I believe Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiously, no reference is made by Korg to the original i2/i3 series.

Backpool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly what I wanted to see in a new EK50 upgrade !!!

Most of the controls are 'dual' use, using shift, and still the same, which is the only pain to me and could have been changed. All seem to remain unchanged!!

Just more memory would have been good as a start.

Its simply a makeover with more internal speaker capacity and a few styles i wont use in a new soft case ...

This original EK50 is fantastic....and very under sung as it is already .....IMHO

It has never been promoted properly as a route for new users to move up in the range.

Keith
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg i3 !!!!!
Are you serious Korg???

Well if it's half as good as the original i3, I'll definitely buy one Very Happy

But why?
What is the marketing strategy behind the i3 vs. EK?

Interesting to say the least....

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Korg i3 !!!!!

But why?

Very Happy

You got me! I'd have trouble explaining the difference, other than:

The EK-50(L) is an "Entertainment Keyboard" with speakers.
The i3 is a "Music Workstation" without speakers.

They are both entry-level "somethings" (arrangers?) with similar sounds and features. To call the i3 a "Music Workstation" is a bit lofty and puts it in the same product family as the Kronos.

And that might be the answer to the marketing strategy. A customer walks in wanting a "music workstation." The salesperson can walk him through the wide product range of Korg music workstations from i3 to Kronos.

The salesperson may then have difficulty explaining the difference between a workstation and an arranger. The new answer may be, "It's just marketing."

bpoodoo
Triton Extreme 88 w/MOSS, Casio CZ-101
csteen
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speakers of both the ek-50 and the ek-50L are ten watts each actually but the L produces more sound pressure according to Korg. These are perhaps the weirdest keyboard upgrades I’ve ever “heard” of , ten new styles, a few sounds and redesigned speakers of the same wattage as its predecessor.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Korg i3 !!!!!
Are you serious Korg???

Well if it's half as good as the original i3, I'll definitely buy one Very Happy

But why?

Interesting to say the least....

Very Happy

I think that I would probably be on board for the i3 as well. It looks sleek (I know that looks can't really define its true measure), has a 16-track sequencer, and a 5-pin MIDI output. This means that it will play well with my other gear, both live and in the studio.

I would like to see a more in-depth review of it though, so I can see if it allows for audio and sequencing to be mixed together (like on the Kross).

My only concern in the engine. If it is the similar engine as the EK-50, does it include the same sounds that are in the EK-50L (the new updated sounds)? Hopefully, the i3 is not just a rehashing of the HI synthesis chip from so long ago... This may be a workstation, but it is certainly not in the caliber of the Kronos - that is fine.

To me, the Krome is not a true workstation either. A true workstation has to allow for both Audio and MIDI to be recorded/mixed/etc... in a synthesizer. The only ones that Korg would have in that sense would be the Kronos and maybe the Kross (even though the Kross does audio recording differently than the Kronos).

The PA series does audio recording too, but they are not marketed as a workstation... with all the possible negative said above, I still am intrigued by the i3 (and the XE20). I know that these may be marketed more toward the consumer/home user, but they could also really have a place in the pro market.

Grace,
Harry
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it will have the original fabulous Backing Sequencer and extended superb styles (which I still use now on my PA4X).
But, yes, will be interested in the finer detail for sure...

P Very Happy
AtinDallas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea if the new i3 will be compatible with older PA styles? I still have the old old Pa1X and would love to transfer my styles to the i3 if its good enough I might look into trying one out. Thanks
ensoniqts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's really un-wise to use a same model name twice.

I still find the original i3 more interesting

[/img]
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Agree!!! Confused Confused
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ensoniqts wrote:

I still find the original i3 more interesting

[/img]

Maybe they could have called it the MkII or something. The original i Series looked more like a PA series than the new i3.

On a side note - you like Ensoniq as well? I own 5 Ensoniq pieces and used to own a TS10 Smile Love them all Smile

Grace,
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: