Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who Builds Their Own Sounds From Scratch?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tunaman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Who Builds Their Own Sounds From Scratch? Reply with quote

I’m interested to see how many Kronos users are building their own sounds from scratch? Especially using the AL-1/MOD-7/MS-20EX/PolysixEX engines?

I’ve seen a lot of videos, especially many of the good instructional postings by Dave Champagne and Qui Robinez, and they are helpful towards achieving the topic objectives. One by Dave in particular was useful to help understand his approach, but still didn’t fill in many of the gaps I have currently.

I’m interested in any rules or guidelines on which engine might be most appropriate for which types of sounds. I have a couple of clues, as I’m a pretty old guy who had a MicroMoog and MiniMoog back in the 70’s and early 80’s, and DX7’s in the 90’s (still have three). I’ve had Tritons starting with the LE (2000’s) and including the Extreme, but I never needed to dig into the TE and build from scratch.

Every time I start to try working from scratch and using Dave’s approach, I get sucked into a deep time suck and don’t end up making much progress... there are so many ways to become distracted and head down rabbit holes. Half the time I end up browsing and sampling the default voices to find something remotely close so that I can compare all of the parameters and find the hours fly by without actually making meaningful progress.

I’m now starting down the road of trying to create the voices for Eyes Without a Face, which doesn’t seem to be that difficult at face value. I believe I’ve identified four distinct sounds (at least), and did plenty of research to find that the two main voices were created using the Prophet 5 (perfect, as that is the ‘famous synth’ the AL-1 is based on) and the OB-xa. I started with a blank slot and made no meaningful progress, so I started listening to other programs to see if I could find something close to provide some hints, and next thing I knew I had spent a couple of fruitless hours and was still at ground zero.

How many of you craft your own voices, and what is your approach to selecting the appropriate engine and working through the design?

Any tips you can provide a newbie, or other resources and sites you find helpful?
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinnion, you should consider the MOD-7 engine aside others. It's about full FM synthesis and there are trucks of excellent Youtube tuto channels and excellent website to learn FM synthesis.
Just two very good examples :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqbIk_aESNGiB8gpeJkOYVw/videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/madfameltd/videos

Following these tutos, it's easy to transpose on MOD-7.

Before that, the Kronos Parameter Guide has an excellent MOD-7 tuto at the begining of this part.

-------------

Here is some ideas for other synth method :
https://www.edmprod.com/10-best-sound-design-resources-net-today/

This guy has done a book : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVRW4okTX9M&feature=emb_logo
tunaman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also meant to mention Busch above also, as I’ve read some useful posts he has authored on another forum which have helped with several aspects of the Kronos beast.

Liviou, thank you for your response and for taking the time to post your links. Looks like some very helpful pointers to assist in my journey.
IAA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I writing then I just use a set list of my stock patches. If I’m tracking then I often build AL1 patches, starting from some jumping off points that I’ve made. So I’ve got some Moog leads, strings that kind of stuff, which I then tweak. As you right,y point out, you can end up anywhere if you’re not careful!
I tend not to write mod7 primarily because I’m still new to programming FM.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mix and match. If there is a library that I like, I will buy it and use it, including tweaking the sounds, but I also program my own sounds from scratch. With the Kronos that has been mainly the AL-1 and C3-X engines. AL-1 is amazing and worth the effort of learning

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building sounds from scratch in a complex machine like the Kronos is certainly not easy. Of course, it is sometimes necessary when one can't find an existing program close enough as a start and from which it can be modified to fit one's goals. I've created quite a few already from scratch on the Kronos, including some complex ones. You can check my video below to hear a few of them like ELP's Hoedown Moog synth, JMJ's Laser Harp, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5xF3yl5V3o

It's rather pointless to try to explain what to do in less than a book. I personally follow the techniques I've learned and experimented since I started to play several decades ago. You have to first play around for a while with each synth/engine to know what they can and cannot do, even though some have almost no limits. It's also important to define the character of each. For example, a given simple design using a single oscillator won't sound the same in the Polysix, the AL-1 and the MS-20. Those two important things will help you decide which one can be the preferred synth for a given goal.

In short, concentrate on the basics (OFAE). Keep the fancy stuff for after. And remember a big part of it is trial and error. Nobody can build a complex sound in 5 minutes. Do your best, save your work, improve it later. For beginners, start with the Polysix. Then the MS20, HD-1 (since it's also a great synth), STR-1, then the near limitless AL-1 and MOD-7.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with KK : you should get rid of a complete mastering of the Kronos. Many here on the forum say that they go on discovering things after years.

As KK said, there are some engines more easy to approach than others.

From the easiest to the most complex, I would say :

1°) SGX-2
2°) EP-1, CX-3
3°) Polysix EX
4°) HD-1
5°) MS-20 EX
6°) AL-1
7°) STR-1
8°) MOD-7

I put the STR-1 after AL-1 because of the physicalmodelisation concept which I find a bit more complex.

With this in mind, there are two ways : creating new sounds from scratch or modifying existing sounds.

For the first one, it's easy th begin with SGX-2, for example. Moving the parameters, one by one, and hearing what happens.

For the second one, it's good to take an existing sound you do appreciate and make what we could call a retro-design. That is to say, turning all effects (IFX, MFX, TFX) off, its very important to listen to the pure sound in order to understand how it has been made.
And then, look at the different steps, according to the engine used. It will be very easy with SGX-2 up to far more complex with MOD-7, and observe each parameter, move it and hear what happens.

Of course, we suppose we are speaking of a single OSC Program ! If the Program contains 2 OSC, we must study one after the other.
tunaman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the additional input... it is appreciated.

Liviou - thanks for listing in order of difficulty. I’ll keep that in mind as I learn and progress.

I’ve done quite a bit of tweaking with existing voices, creating my own combi’s using the stock or modified voices, and also exploring many of the 3rd party patches I’ve located. I’ve also pulled down some DX7 sysex stuff and evaluated that capability (albeit minimally).

I do find it useful walking through many of the stock programs and seeing how they are constructed, and figure at this point most (if not all) of the voices I need can be achieved by tweaking the parameters of the existing collection.

Thanks again to all for the input.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Who Builds Their Own Sounds From Scratch? Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:

I’m interested in any rules or guidelines on which engine might be most appropriate for which types of sounds.

The engine is more a matter of preference and possibilities, once you understand the concept of oscillators and their different sound behavior you can create anything you want

A good guide for beginners that explains those concepts is the following

http://beausievers.com/synth/synthbasics/

tunaman wrote:

Every time I start to try working from scratch and using Dave’s approach, I get sucked into a deep time suck and don’t end up making much progress... there are so many ways to become distracted and head down rabbit holes. Half the time I vend up browsing and sampling the default voices to find something remotely close so that I can compare all of the parameters and find the hours fly by without actually making meaningful progress.

Getting lost in possibilities and details is something we all recognise, it's one of the hardest parts during sound design to keep focussed. Something that works for me is to determine the sound i want to create and then create that sound in a basic format (the beautify details i always program when the base sound is ready).

tunaman wrote:

How many of you craft your own voices, and what is your approach to selecting the appropriate engine and working through the design?

Any tips you can provide a newbie, or other resources and sites you find helpful?

My method is a very basic approach when i program a sound i do it most of the times in the following order:
1: OSC: select an oscillators type or sample
2: VCF: set the Filter for that sound (sound charcater)
3: VCA: set the Envelopes (also often refered as ADSR by many people)
4: AMS / LFO: create the modulation matrix for that sound (the movement of the sound)
5: IFX/MFX: select the effects
6: Spending 10's of hours per program to modify it exactly to my liking and changing hundreds of small details to get that specific sound i have in mind, and sometimes i end up with a completely new sound based on new ideas during this important test playing phase.

Note:
You can also use step 3 before step 2. (so first the adsr which is called EG in korg terminology and then the filter. It depends on whats more important (sound character versus sound behavior for your inspiration). Also it's possible to use filter envelopes which can also alter the experience of the ADSR, so in those cases (mostly dance sounds) i use the filter step first and create for instance an EG envelope to quickly close the sound cutoff, which makes it a plucky sound purely by using the filter envelope).

One of the basic tutorials i created shows the above steps for the HD-1 engine. Although i didn't talk in that video it contains a lot of tips and tricks for the starting programmer. It's easy to follow and the basics are explained in there.

Last edited by QuiRobinez on Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
IAA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qui, it’s great to hear from you again! You’re the dude on the Kronos, your videos really helped me get the most out of this instrument and I’d recommend them in an instant. Very Happy Cool
tunaman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qui - I’m honored that you chose to respond and provide the input!

And thank you for taking the time to outline your workflow. That is very helpful, and differs from the approach I picked up from one of Dave’s videos where he started with the ADSR characteristics. I’ve tried this approach a couple of times, and while I got the right shape I then found myself boxed in trying to get to the actual sound characteristics. I will try this workflow.

I believe I’ve watched the linked video a while back, but that was before I actually started trying to learn the programming from scratch. I haven’t gone back to it since it was focused on the HD-1, but now I will as I’m sure it will help fill in some of the myriad gaps.

Lastly, thanks a ton for the link as I haven’t stumbled on that one yet.

Great job on all of the instructional videos and many thanks for posting them up!
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Who Builds Their Own Sounds From Scratch? Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
I’m now starting down the road of trying to create the voices for Eyes Without a Face, which doesn’t seem to be that difficult at face value.

I feel like a shill putting this out there but if you like, I can make that patch for you and walk you through it's design via Skype or other platform. There are a few projects ahead of yours that I need to take care of first... and it wouldn't be super cheap (but not too expensive either). Feel free to PM me if that's something you're interested in.
tunaman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles - thanks for the offer, and no shilling perceived. Creating sounds from scratch is a challenging and time-consuming endeavor which isn’t for many (dare say most?) players and is valuable.

In this case, I suspect I can find enough compatible sounds present to put together a sufficient Combi for starters and tackle the voicings as time permits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: