Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overall quality and keyboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Overall quality and keyboard Reply with quote

I know that is to early to get a feedback because the instrument is not in the shop.

But would be interesting to understand the quality of the materials used for the wavestate and something more about the keyboard action.

I'm very happy about the standard size of keys, but what about the action? Is it as good as the one on the prologue?

Thx a lot
Narioso

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg really marketed having japaneze made keyboard on Prologue - have not seen anything mentioned on Wavestate.

There even were a sticker on keyboard MIJ, or something on Prologue keys.

I was not fond of keys on KingKorg, but suspect that price tag on Wavestate maybe not allow for japan make. Or that they chose 37 keys good quality rather than go to 49 keys - don't know.

I am not that fond of keys on my Nordlead, but it doesn't stop me from loving it. I would have liked velocity curves on that - but Wavestate has that, so think we will be fine.

And the option as KingKorg also had - telling if to have velocity curves applied on reception or at send - that is good thinking. I usually use Nordlead as master keyboard, unless now maybe using mod keys and joystick on Wavestate might change that..
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to a forum members hands on review on the overall build quality.

Regards
Sharp
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect it will be the same as the Prologue which are synth keys (no weights, unlike the Kronos 61). I'm actually not that concerned. This is one keyboard I don't expect to use for fast leads and bass lines. The Wavestate is all about evolving sound over time, which means holding those keys.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The keys appear to be similar, at least in proportion and shaping, to the Kronos 61 keybed.
afr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
I suspect it will be the same as the Prologue which are synth keys (no weights, unlike the Kronos 61). I'm actually not that concerned. This is one keyboard I don't expect to use for fast leads and bass lines. The Wavestate is all about evolving sound over time, which means holding those keys.

Busch.

If is the same kbd used for the prologue is excellent at least for me
afr

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Phillips answered in gearsl forum about the keyboard used for the wavestate

The Wavestate keyboard is the same design as the Krome, Kross, and the full-size MS-20 and ODYSSEY, among other instruments. The Prologue and Kronos-61 use a different keyboard
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. That’s great news.
walthubis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The keys appear to be similar, at least in proportion and shaping, to the Kronos 61 keybed.

I have a Kronos 61 and a Wavestate. They Wavestate keys are about the same size, but that's where the similarity ends. The Kronos has a much, much better, more solid feel (virus TI too, probably Fatar). The Wavestate's feel much more plastic-y and kinda noisy. Generally disappointed with the keybed.
Narioso

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no complaints on keybed, Prologue is a notch better - but WS quite alright. We must bear in mind the price tag here.

Kronos is 3-4 times in price, more headroom to pick better parts all the way.

I like Wavestate keybed better than the Nordlead, not that I don't love Nordlead, but keybed suffers from not having a velocity curve either.

It's couple of years now, but Wavestate feel better feel than I remember Kingkorg.(going out on a lim here, it might be the same).
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the above, the Wavestate's keys are similar to the Korg M50, not as nice as the Kronos. The Kronos is a good MIDI controller for the Wavestate.

Incidentally, the Wavestate produces very little heat during use. None of the surfaces feel warm. The specifications indicate a power consumption of 5W. Actual consumption in use is more like 3W.
Narioso

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:

Incidentally, the Wavestate produces very little heat during use. None of the surfaces feel warm. The specifications indicate a power consumption of 5W. Actual consumption in use is more like 3W.

There is a page if in settings that show both cpu use and temperature.

When I checked it's been 43-45 degreesC. Cpu between 12-25% or so.
On my lap it warms a bit.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of overall sound quality, and range of sonic textures and possibilities, the Wavestation is proving itself to be excellent. The Performances range from the sublime to the ridiculous (ridiculous in a good way, though!). It's even better when played using a 61 key MIDI controller (will a 61 key version be produced?), and provides a really great complement to the other keyboards and audio sources in the studio.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a wonderful, wonderful synth.

and I'll be posting my music 100% abstract Wavestate stuff soon !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: