Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Impressed from the demo videos!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musiccankill
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:08 am    Post subject: Impressed from the demo videos! Reply with quote

I have to say that i m really impressed by the power this little machine has!
I will consider buying it!
After the demo videos i made a small research and saw that it actually has a Raspberry PI compute module 3 inside as the heart of the system (cpu board)!
Didn't knew that a raspi3 could do something like this with proper programming!
When i will be able to go test it in person (after the corona virus quarantine ends) i will have a more personal opinion of course and will write here too.
The only maybe negative thing i see is the display..
What is your opinion on the sound programming interface?Is it easy to use or you need to dive into a lot of menus to do basic things?

Korg keyboards owned now: PA5X 61 ,PA300, Triton extreme 61, Korg 707, Trinity plus
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The display would benefit from having a few more pixels, giving it the ability to show more of what's going on but, having said that, the display context-switches as soon as a control is moved or a button is pressed, and that seems to work very well. As far as sound programming is concerned, the control surface gives straightforward access to most of the settings the user needs, without any deep menu diving involved. The most complex are the Utility menus that run to 8 different screens.
bobbybland

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My biggest problem with it, is the lack of a proper editor, as Nick from Sonic State suggested, it is absolutely imperative that Korg brings end users a editor, or it may end up just being a preset machine for some.

Not only that, but without the editor the menu diving gets pretty old quick. I've logged about 70 hours on this synth, and am already feeling like I want to move faster.

It's a very deep synth,but once you wrap your head around their design,it becomes less over bearing. The problem for me, and many others who like to move fast, will be the lack of an editor.

fingers crossed.
Narioso

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only sysex documented is a few universal ones like tuning.
So ability for 3rd party even to make editor is rather slim.

For me personally the reason to buy hardware synths is hands on control and no mouse click fest in computer. And think they did incredible good job on Wavestate with so many levels of presets - making it fairly easy to reuse things you did.

Three weeks with Wavestate and what I feel is lacking the most is a full page help with notes on each performance to tell which macro knobs do what - since what I discovered there are plenty tweak options there as well. This would be my number one wish for firmware update - full page help on each performance or program level - to quickly refresh memory what to use for live tweaking.

What takes time loading each performance now - is going into modulations and look through what knobs are connected to.

A simple free text to enter for own purposes, as well as factory ones could use - that would really quickn the process of learning it all, as well as make it easier.

It was not obvious at first how clever those performances were made - and you could tweak length of lanes and many other parameters like filter cutoff with macro knobs right there - and major difference in how it sounds.

One knob sometimes control different parameters in different layers as well.

So my wishes in order are
#!. help page for free notes
#2. help page for free notes
#3. help page for free notes
#4. help page for free notes
#5. help page for free notes
#6. ability to make Enter sticky - like for Shift double tapping or something.
That would make browsing modulations easier.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real gripe here, and this applies to the Kronos too, is that, looking at the instrument face-on, in normal room lighting, the bright white LEDs mask the front panel legends. In a bright, sun lit room, it's not an issue, but in the evenings, and in dimly lit venues, it's a problem.

Yanoa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbybland wrote:
My biggest problem with it, is the lack of a proper editor, as Nick from Sonic State suggested, it is absolutely imperative that Korg brings end users a editor, or it may end up just being a preset machine for some.

Not only that, but without the editor the menu diving gets pretty old quick. I've logged about 70 hours on this synth, and am already feeling like I want to move faster.

It's a very deep synth,but once you wrap your head around their design,it becomes less over bearing. The problem for me, and many others who like to move fast, will be the lack of an editor.

fingers crossed.

+1
Yanoa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:

Three weeks with Wavestate and what I feel is lacking the most is a full page help with notes on each performance to tell which macro knobs do what - since what I discovered there are plenty tweak options there as well. This would be my number one wish for firmware update - full page help on each performance or program level - to quickly refresh memory what to use for live tweaking.

What takes time loading each performance now - is going into modulations and look through what knobs are connected to.

A simple free text to enter for own purposes, as well as factory ones could use - that would really quickn the process of learning it all, as well as make it easier.

It was not obvious at first how clever those performances were made - and you could tweak length of lanes and many other parameters like filter cutoff with macro knobs right there - and major difference in how it sounds.

One knob sometimes control different parameters in different layers as well.

Hi,
Why to add another layer in menu if you can have the user manual near you?. If we do that when programing or playing, we may spend more time reading a tiny manual on the tiny screen than reading a full-size paper user manual.
If you forget what does a function, re-read his section in the manual Wink
Narioso

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yanoa wrote:

Hi,
Why to add another layer in menu if you can have the user manual near you?. If we do that when programing or playing, we may spend more time reading a tiny manual on the tiny screen than reading a full-size paper user manual.

If you mean having a printed manual to everything you did - go ahead and do that - nothing is stopping you.

The 240 performances and 750 programs and then 1000 wave sequences already there - go ahead and get aquainted and go through modulations on each one - and take notes.

If you get a full page help screen to these - meaning Master do alter sequence end from 2 to 8 - or similar. Much quicker in my view to get aquainted as well as useful making your own preset for a quick refresh of memory.
"Master - sample A2-A8" and similar.

Would be very helpful IMO.

Prefer to document in own white papers - go ahead - nothing stops anybody doing that.
Yanoa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
Yanoa wrote:

Hi,

If you mean having a printed manual to everything you did - go ahead and do that - nothing is stopping you.

The 240 performances and 750 programs and then 1000 wave sequences already there - go ahead and get aquainted and go through modulations on each one - and take notes.

If you get a full page help screen to these - meaning Master do alter sequence end from 2 to 8 - or similar. Much quicker in my view to get aquainted as well as useful making your own preset for a quick refresh of memory.

Prefer to document in own white papers - go ahead - nothing stops anybody doing that.

Hi,

The real problem is the size of screen. It's too small and with very limited resolution. Impossible to add more information without another menu level, what it makes the navigation even more complicated. Your idea are interesting but impossible to apply. Maybe in a 5 octaves keyboard version?. I hope.
Of course that having an explanation of all presets, samples and modulations (even if it was usefoul) was too much because you need tons of paper and it take too many time to search it. Maybe in a software editor?.
What I say is that, before to begin programmation, you need to know the basics of the synth and after, how to works and interact the differents parameters, even the more hiden of them. For that, you need to have the manual the first hours-days but NOT all the time. As you program, you finish to retain all the information naturaly and don't need to read the manual.
At the same time, as you have mentioned, I write my own white paper notes by hand, with resumes of certain parameters and functions. A sort of colletion of post-its all in a row in a little Moleskine.
Yanoa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
Yanoa wrote:

Hi,

Hi,

The real problem is the size of the synth screen. It's too small and with very limited resolution. Impossible to add more information without another menu level, what it makes the navigation even more complicated. Your idea are interesting but impossible to apply. Maybe in a 5 octaves keyboard version?. I hope.

Of course that having an explanation of all presets, samples and modulations (even if it was usefoul) was too much because you need tons of paper and it take too many time to search it. Maybe in a software editor?.

What I say is that, before to begin programmation, you need to know the basics of the synth and after, how to works and interact the differents parameters, even the more hiden of them. For that, you need to have the manual the first hours-days but NOT all the time. As you program, you finish to retain all the information naturaly and don't need to read the manual.
At the same time, as you have mentioned, I write my own white paper notes by hand, with resumes of certain parameters and functions. A sort of colletion of post-its all in a row in a little Moleskine.
Narioso

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yanoa wrote:

Hi,

The real problem is the size of the synth screen. It's too small and with very limited resolution. Impossible to add more information without another menu level, what it makes the navigation even more complicated.

It's another dot on the list of pages - I see no problem - but great benefit to have that info.

You don't have to write novels, just a short list
PM=performance master
PT=performance time
PS=performance sample
MA=master layer A
TB=time layer B

Just my own shorthand for what you write on help screen.

etc. and what you made them control.
One knob that alter length of a particular lane, one knob alter probability in a lane, and one knob alter attack on Layer A program. Whatever.

Could be
PM=smpl LE, PT=prob pitch, PS=atk layA

That 2 rows, of maybe 10-12 rows, don't remember. But helps a lot.

Alternative is to look through modulations list with [Enter][Page+] which takes way longer. This on every performance you load.

One more [Shift][Page-] - I don't see the problem. And a setting in Global could tell if you want that help page, if non-empty, to show first thing as you load that performance - or whatever.

Anyway had fun experimenting with shape lanes yesterday, having one sample only and a lane of 8 shapes applied to alter it over time. Can have just volume, or from pitch lane control pitches in interesting shapes.

It's taking form and ideas emerge - and what limits me is imagination, not how to do it. With presets on so many levels - a lane alone, wave sequence, program, performance - it's a puzzle more or less combining things.

Obvious things in computer editor would be to give overview in many windows listing things to drag-n-drop. But you still are limited by your own imagination.

I have not started using randomize yet - that will be fun too - accidents that just make something you never thought of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: