Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trimming the Beginning of a Sample--Can It Be Done in Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basspig

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Trimming the Beginning of a Sample--Can It Be Done in Kronos Reply with quote

I recently converted a sample library, Michiel Post's POST ORGAN TOOLKIT from Kurzweil format to Kronos using A-wave Studio.

What I'm noticing is that some of the samples have "dead space" and a slight delay when playing, which makes tocatta style playing impossible. These same samples lack the delay when played on the Kurzweil K2600RS.

To make it have the same playing dynamics, I need to trim the beginning of the envelope, or slide the sample advanced in time just a few milliseconds. On the Kronos, I can add more delay with the envelopes, but I need to do the opposite. I need to trim some of the silence ahead of when the pipe speaks on the sample.

Apparently the Kurzweil version does this trim just nice, but something didn't translate properly to the Kronos with SOME but not all samples.

Any idea how to shift a sample to the left in time to eliminate the dead space ahead of the sound?
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Trimming the Beginning of a Sample--Can It Be Done in Kr Reply with quote

Basspig wrote:
I recently converted a sample library, Michiel Post's POST ORGAN TOOLKIT from Kurzweil format to Kronos using A-wave Studio.

What I'm noticing is that some of the samples have "dead space" and a slight delay when playing, which makes tocatta style playing impossible. These same samples lack the delay when played on the Kurzweil K2600RS.

To make it have the same playing dynamics, I need to trim the beginning of the envelope, or slide the sample advanced in time just a few milliseconds. On the Kronos, I can add more delay with the envelopes, but I need to do the opposite. I need to trim some of the silence ahead of when the pipe speaks on the sample.

Apparently the Kurzweil version does this trim just nice, but something didn't translate properly to the Kronos with SOME but not all samples.

Any idea how to shift a sample to the left in time to eliminate the dead space ahead of the sound?

the short answer is yes. this is very doable. But I would also ask the company why there is space at the beginning of each sample. You shouldn't have to edit space out of the beginning a multi sample instrument...

anyway. the trim option to edit (truncate) samples is in the sample mode. Then choose the drop down at the top right... select truncate. It will allow you to set the start and end points of the sample and then cut off the unwanted material that falls outside of those set points.

does that make sense?
Basspig

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where I run into a wall. I hit the Audio In/Sampling tab, then select Osc/Pitch tab and I can see the sample/multisample I want to edit, but the dropdown menu isn't showing any function related to trimming or truncating. Just write, copy, swap, exc solo, remap. Can you walk me through the process? Maybe I'm on the wrong tab.

I would also like to normalize some samples, as one of the organs is about -8dB relative to the other two libraries (3 in all). Trying to do mixed registration is not working well because of the massive disparity in levels among samples.

These libraries were converted over from Kurzweil format (they don't have dead space when played on my K2600RS) and I assume that either the sample programs were tweaked in Kurzweil by the developer, or something went wrong in the conversion.
enigmahack
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also easy is going into the Sample Loop function and just changing the starting point. You don't need to enable the loop parameter, just basically move the starting point.

The only tricky thing is that you have to move both the loop start point and the sample start point; You can't have a loop that starts before the sample start, so you have to move the loop start FIRST, and then bump the sample start point up to match.
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basspig wrote:
That's where I run into a wall. I hit the Audio In/Sampling tab, then select Osc/Pitch tab and I can see the sample/multisample I want to edit, but the dropdown menu isn't showing any function related to trimming or truncating. Just write, copy, swap, exc solo, remap. Can you walk me through the process? Maybe I'm on the wrong tab.

I would also like to normalize some samples, as one of the organs is about -8dB relative to the other two libraries (3 in all). Trying to do mixed registration is not working well because of the massive disparity in levels among samples.

These libraries were converted over from Kurzweil format (they don't have dead space when played on my K2600RS) and I assume that either the sample programs were tweaked in Kurzweil by the developer, or something went wrong in the conversion.

Like I was saying initially, I would definitely contact the developer... no one should be paying for sample libraries and they have these types of issues.

either way, if you are going to edit them, are you trying to do it from the actual sample mode?
Basspig

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, I have no clue what menu or buttons to press to accomplish any of this.
Can someone walk me through? The Kronos is relatively new for me, purchased 2 months ago.

As for the sample library, it plays perfectly on the Kurzweil. It was sold for the Kurzweil. I bought it in 2005 from SoundEngine. They said they no longer support this product when I asked about a Kronos version.

So I bought A-Wave Studio so I could convert the library. Why? Because ALL of the pipe organ libraries available for Korg suck.

I've got most of it working, but for a few organ registrations, which have a delayed start when played on the Kronos. The same samples played on K2600RS play like they should. So something's missing in the conversion, perhaps the loop start points didn't carry over.

At any rate, how can I edit this, step by step? The manual only deals with samples you recorded yourself with the sampling input, not how to edit samples that are part of an imported library.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you the rough ones, but it's nothing super easy. You first need to load the KSC file in Sampling mode. Note that certain libraries will refuse to be edited, depending on their original format.

From there, supposing you hear something in Sampling mode when you select samples, identify the ones with incorrect starting points and cut the silence portion at the beginning. Save them again into a new KSC and programs, etc.

In the case of samples which are "protected", you can always resample them directly with the Kronos and edit them at your taste.

Another option would be for you to reconvert the defective samples. One guess is that your problem happened during the conversion, the library is defective or instead used special techniques for certain sounds (pipe organ libraries are sometimes tricky).
jones

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to truncate a sample?

https://youtu.be/sOaKE2K_CUQ
Basspig

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched a number of videos like this one, and also ready the chapter on sampling, but none of them tell you how to edit a sample that's part of a library or KSC file. These tutorials are for using the internal sampling hardware in sampler mode.

And I can't figure out how to load a KSC in Sampler mode. It seems that only works in Disc mode.

Editing the loop in point on a sample from a purchased library was easy and I could do it in seconds on my K2600RS. But for some reason, library samples live in a separate universe, untouchable on the Kronos.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two types of user KSCs available on the Kronos. Typically, if you bring in samples/multi-samples they are in the KSC format that requires them to be loaded into RAM (and you can work on them in the onboard sample editor). If you then save the KSC, the system will create two, one KSC (RAM) and the other a UserBank.KSC (virtual). If the A-wave conversion is only creating a virtual streaming version, then you won't be able to edit it in the Kronos, you will have to do so with an external editor. Chicken Systems Translator creates both files (but they are named differently than Korg).

Regarding Michel Post, I do think he's been in the business for many years now. He might have sold it off to SampleTekk, not sure. Library creators do sometimes include quite a bit of time before the initial attack. Cinesamples Piano in Blue did that. I measured it and it was quite a lot. They said it was to allow for air (very subtle sounds immediately before the attack) but it created a noticeable latency which in a piano isn't a good thing. They later changed this as optional. I believe Kontakt allows the start time of the sample to be modulated via scripting. I have found this on other libraries as well and it's sometimes related to giving sonic space for attack elements.

Busch.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Basspig

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I see a .KSC and .PCG file for each organ library I converted. There is also a _UserBank.KSC file.

I will try experimenting when I can unload a bunch of samples and make room to load the full samples. Maybe then I can bring them into the sample editing process to trim the samples.

It's been 15 years since I bought this library. It works great on the Kurzweil, but sounds different, delayed, like the sound of air building up, when played on the Kronos.
kday

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basspig wrote:
Folks, I have no clue what menu or buttons to press to accomplish any of this.
Can someone walk me through? The Kronos is relatively new for me, purchased 2 months ago.

As for the sample library, it plays perfectly on the Kurzweil. It was sold for the Kurzweil. I bought it in 2005 from SoundEngine. They said they no longer support this product when I asked about a Kronos version.

So I bought A-Wave Studio so I could convert the library. Why? Because ALL of the pipe organ libraries available for Korg suck.

I've got most of it working, but for a few organ registrations, which have a delayed start when played on the Kronos. The same samples played on K2600RS play like they should. So something's missing in the conversion, perhaps the loop start points didn't carry over.

At any rate, how can I edit this, step by step? The manual only deals with samples you recorded yourself with the sampling input, not how to edit samples that are part of an imported library.

Korg made editing a user sample difficult and backwards on purpose and for a reason. They don't want people to be able to edit samples that easy. They feel it may decrease sales if people can use their keyboards to easily create their own sound libraries. They think people wouldn't be so enthusiastic about buying their next keyboard or set of sound if people feel they easily create all the sounds they would ever want in their current keyboards at the press of a button. This is why they shifted simple editing to the Loop process instead and with other additional processes to edit or truncate instead of leaving it in the old simple manner employed on dedicated samplers or companies that take sampling seriously. This is why they made it a more difficult than usual to discourage you from creating user multi-sample libraries and your own libraries and look to buying pre-mapped libraries instead.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the contrary, it's actually quite easy to create any multisamples you want on the Kronos.

I've created dozens of instruments on mine, some with multiple velocity layers, long loops, etc. The Kronos sampling mode is a lot easier to work with compared to certain samplers. I come from the old school so I know how it was to work on nightmarish machines like the Mirage and others. But like any serious sampling work you need effort and time to create good instruments, optimal long loops on complex sounds, etc.

What is more difficult is to modify EXs protected libraries, which use a dedicated exsins file for installation, because their sample files are hidden. And I understand perfectly why creators protect their hard work. But as I mentioned earlier, there are ways to work around this. You just need to learn how the Kronos works and spend some effort and time.
kday

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the Kronos is the most difficult of all samplers. On the Roland's and Akai MPCs and software samplers the sample editing is done on the first sample edit page and looping page is used for looping.

On this Kronos, the sample editing is shifted to another page other than the SAMPLE EDIT page?

Users are misled and have to re-read the manual to find out how to truncate the sample. Only to find out it's not actually on the SAMPLE EDIT page but on the other LOOP EDIT page. But even before you can edit the sample, you have to go through other steps like adjust the LOOP START and END points.

SAMPLE EDIT page was made useless and everything is shifted over to the LOOP EDIT page where everything is more tedious. It's not really difficult to do the editing once you learn it. But I get the feeling that Korg made it that way for a purpose.

On other Keyboards and samplers when you sample a sound you go to the SAMPLE EDIT page make changes and you're done. A one step process instead of Korg's three step process.
Basspig

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, didn't realize it was that difficult. A 60 second process to accomplish this on the Kurzweil K2600RS.

Messing with loop points on organ samples is risky. They are set perfectly by the author. Any slight change will result in weird motorboating sound effects instead of a smooth sustain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: