Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

change factory drum patterns in Sequence mode?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sixtoeightfeet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: change factory drum patterns in Sequence mode? Reply with quote

Hello, after 10 enjoyable years of playing it, I am only now attempting to learn how to use the M-50 sequence mode. I know there's lots of good help in the Parameters Guide, User Guide and Rich Formidoni's YouTube tutorials but I'm still puzzled about one thing: I would like to simply import one of the Korg factory drum patterns into the sequencer and then change some of the drum track measures around. For example, many of the factory drum patterns are really good, but produce an added percussion fill or flourish or cymbal crash at the wrong point in my song! I'd like to cut and move such added-flourish measure to where it would be appropriate for my song, like at the end of the chorus or at the end of a musical phrase. Can this be done? If not, why? Is there another away to accomplish this objective without having to "build" the percussion sounds from scratch on multiple tracks? Thank you.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: change factory drum patterns in Sequence mode? Reply with quote

sixtoeightfeet wrote:
Hello, after 10 enjoyable years of playing it, I am only now attempting to learn how to use the M-50 sequence mode. I know there's lots of good help in the Parameters Guide, User Guide and Rich Formidoni's YouTube tutorials but I'm still puzzled about one thing: I would like to simply import one of the Korg factory drum patterns into the sequencer and then change some of the drum track measures around. For example, many of the factory drum patterns are really good, but produce an added percussion fill or flourish or cymbal crash at the wrong point in my song! I'd like to cut and move such added-flourish measure to where it would be appropriate for my song, like at the end of the chorus or at the end of a musical phrase. Can this be done? If not, why? Is there another away to accomplish this objective without having to "build" the percussion sounds from scratch on multiple tracks? Thank you.

I too have an M50 and love mine. I actually had two of them, but sold one to a good friend of mine and she loves it live.

I have used the M50 as the main sequencer on 3 albums (out of the last 8 or 9) and used the drum patterns on two of those albums.

I agree that the drum patterns are great and offer a lot to a song. I am not completely sure how to change the drum patterns before recording into the sequencer, other than making a new drum pattern (a User drum pattern) using existing patterns and then customizing them to your liking.

You can also change things around after you have recorded the patterns into a sequence on your sequencer (if I remember correctly). I explain this below.

You may need to copy the drum track to another unused track, so you can pull from that track and move it into the original track. It would be a cut/paste or copy/paste type thing (provided you are setting to overwrite what is on the track for that measure(s)).

The other way that might be easier, is to move your sequence(s) to a computer and do the copy/paste there. In a good DAW or MIDI sequencing program, you would have a lot more flexibility with a software DAW than in the M50 itself.

I hope that this helps a bit.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: