Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Workflow with Volcas and Beatstep Pro

View previous topic :: View next topic  
richlooker

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Workflow with Volcas and Beatstep Pro Reply with quote

I have been dabbling with Propellerheads Reason for a couple of years now, and found I spend 9/10 of the time exploring, tweaking, experimenting - and only the remaining 1/10 on (trying to) making music.

After having watched a boatload of YouTube videos of Volcas, I got convinced that the immediacy of a simple hardware setup will let me unleash my creativity (if I have some of that), and decided that I'll jump on the Volca bandwagon.

I have just ordered Drum, Bass, FM and Mix. Before I have even received my new toys, I discovered the Arturia Beatstep Pro, and thought, that would be a cool companion, with it's nicer sequencer interface, tactile pads and the pitch (actually CV) knobs. The idea is that it will be easier to create and tweak loops on the Beatstep.

I realise that the Beatstep won't let me automate the knob movements, so here's my first question; can I work with loops on the Beatstep until I'm satisfied with them, then record them into the Volcas, where I can then record knob movements?

And a second question; what if I want to play something live on the Bass or (more likely) FM while the Beatstep is running, can I do this by connecting my midi keyboard (I have an IRig Keys 2 Pro) to the Beatstep?

Cheers, Richard
synthpeter

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Workflow with Volcas and Beatstep Pro Reply with quote

richlooker wrote:
I realise that the Beatstep won't let me automate the knob movements, so here's my first question; can I work with loops on the Beatstep until I'm satisfied with them, then record them into the Volcas, where I can then record knob movements?

I don't have a Beatstep, but this is sort of what I do with the Volca FM that I control with the Monologue over a MIDI cable:

Create a sequence on the Monologue. Press record on the FM, and then play on the Monologue, and one of the FM voices is recorded. At the end of the sequence, press record again to avoid over-recording to another voice.
Next create a new loop or transpose the sequence on the Monologue and repeat the above for the second and third voice of the FM.

If you have a polyphonic controller, you could do the above in a single go for all three voices at the same time.

With the basic pattern recorded in the FM, enable motion sequence recording on the FM(Function+key12). For each of the motions to be recorded, press record and play, and twiddle the control on the FM.

Don't forget to save (Function/Memory-write+key#)..

For an added bonus, while the FM is playing, playing a note on the Monologue (or whatever other controller you use), steals a voice from the FM programmed sequence, allowing for variations on the sequence..
richlooker

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Workflow with Volcas and Beatstep Pro Reply with quote

synthpeter wrote:
Create a sequence on the Monologue. Press record on the FM, and then play on the Monologue, and one of the FM voices is recorded. At the end of the sequence, press record again to avoid over-recording to another voice.
Next create a new loop or transpose the sequence on the Monologue and repeat the above for the second and third voice of the FM.

Thanks synthpete, that's exactly what I'm looking for. As for using a keyboard connected to the Beatstep to play any of the Volcas, I guess only a Beatstep owner can tell me whether that's possible.

Cheers, Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: