Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is it worth buying a korg prologue today?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mpabisz
Junior Member


Joined: 28 May 2015
Posts: 67
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: is it worth buying a korg prologue today? Reply with quote

So just like it says, is it worth buying a korg prologue today?

Im eyeing a new synth and thinking of getting the 16. (possibly 8, im still debating). This will be my main. Just wondering what peoples thoughts and the general consensus are about it today are.

thanks
_________________
Korg Wavestation EX. Nord Lead 2X anniversary. Kronos 2 88. Korg Minilogue. Microkorg XL. Roland MC-707
"Keep on rockin' in the free world!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RobustAmerican



Joined: 18 Dec 2018
Posts: 29
Location: USA

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use mine nearly everyday. It's still worth it to me even though I paid nearly 1800.00 for the 16 back when they were still pretty new to the market. Is it worth the current price for you? Only you can answer that.

Try to get some hands on time with it. The 3rd party oscillators and fx still seem to be going strong with new releases all the time.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MRNUTTY



Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Posts: 15

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine all day everyday for sound design using digital oscillators and writing code for them. The user oscillator makes this synth more future proofed against getting old - I can always whip up another oscillator.

If you don't like writing code, there's so many to choose from:
https://korginc.github.io/logue-sdk/unit-index/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Liviou2004
Platinum Member


Joined: 20 Feb 2017
Posts: 925
Location: Nemours - France

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: is it worth buying a korg prologue today? Reply with quote

mpabisz wrote:
So just like it says, is it worth buying a korg prologue today?

Im eyeing a new synth and thinking of getting the 16. (possibly 8, im still debating). This will be my main. Just wondering what peoples thoughts and the general consensus are about it today are.

thanks


For sure, nobody who has spent 1,800 $ for this synth would tell you it doesn't worth it !
Yet, the fact is that the Prologue is largely overpriced. Too many downsides, too, and limitations.
Some other synth, on the same price range let the Prologue far behind.
Just have a look to the Novation Summit for example. (here is a review, if you don't know it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YHZXq1c6tk
Of course many others exist.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Narioso
Full Member


Joined: 15 Oct 2015
Posts: 149
Location: Sweden

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: is it worth buying a korg prologue today? Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
mpabisz wrote:
So just like it says, is it worth buying a korg prologue today?

Im eyeing a new synth and thinking of getting the 16. (possibly 8, im still debating). This will be my main. Just wondering what peoples thoughts and the general consensus are about it today are.

thanks


For sure, nobody who has spent 1,800 $ for this synth would tell you it doesn't worth it !
Yet, the fact is that the Prologue is largely overpriced. Too many downsides, too, and limitations.
Some other synth, on the same price range let the Prologue far behind.
Just have a look to the Novation Summit for example. (here is a review, if you don't know it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YHZXq1c6tk
Of course many others exist.

And did you buy a Summit and have to defend that, or?

Did you even read that OP has Nordlead 2X - why would he need a another digital synth like Summit?
In my view Nordlead hold the fort when it comes to digital virtual analog if without effects as 2X.

The lovelyness that a true analog synth brings, and also have a 3rd digital oscillator like multiengine whether user oscillator or vpn - you cover many areas as sound goes.

Prologue is real fun to work with, and as menu system goes very clever use on the 8 buttons to get a direct link in the right spot in menu.

And Prologue 8 is like $1000 making it very much bang for buck. Then if into making sequenced sound beyond anything there is money left for a Wavestate as well, but having Wavestation that probably fill most needs in that area.

If to look for digital synth I would go for UDO Super 6 or Waldorf Kyra or something in that price range.
_________________
External gear: Wavestate, Prologue-8, Hammond XK-3C, Kawai MP7SE piano, Nord Lead 2X, Roland D-05, Deepmind, Neutron
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mpabisz
Junior Member


Joined: 28 May 2015
Posts: 67
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRNUTTY wrote:
I use mine all day everyday for sound design using digital oscillators and writing code for them. The user oscillator makes this synth more future proofed against getting old - I can always whip up another oscillator.

If you don't like writing code, there's so many to choose from:
https://korginc.github.io/logue-sdk/unit-index/



im no coder by any means. sounds very complicated aha. but i see you left a link. ill look at that. thanks!
_________________
Korg Wavestation EX. Nord Lead 2X anniversary. Kronos 2 88. Korg Minilogue. Microkorg XL. Roland MC-707
"Keep on rockin' in the free world!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mpabisz
Junior Member


Joined: 28 May 2015
Posts: 67
Location: Ontario, Canada

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have worded my question better.

when I meant worth it, I meant more as in, its been out for awhile. its not new to the market. and as far as price, i meant, would it be worth it to spend more money and buy a different synth altogether? the price of the unit doesnt bother me. if it did, I wouldnt be asking at all.

Also too, no one knows when korg will release new hardware. however, i dont know if there are rumours or talks about korg updating or releasing a new prologue altogether. Being a few years old, I am not sure if its worth waiting or not. my guess is that there is no talks about a new one yet. but maybe someone else knows otherwise.

Thanks
_________________
Korg Wavestation EX. Nord Lead 2X anniversary. Kronos 2 88. Korg Minilogue. Microkorg XL. Roland MC-707
"Keep on rockin' in the free world!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group