Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

User Sounds can be easily orphaned

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 2:05 am    Post subject: User Sounds can be easily orphaned Reply with quote

OK, this is a big deal, hopefully this incredibly tiny user community knows something I don't.

You make a change in a Sound, save it to a User location.
-> if you change where that Sound sits in the User banks that Sound is 'orphaned' from the Keyboard Sets it was pointing to.

Which means you have to make a definitive listing of your User sounds such that you NEVER change the order in which it sits in a User bank.

What am I missing?
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue when changing a sound in a sequence and if I move the sound, it does not update in the sequence.

I think that it is because Korg stores programs by the program # and not their name. I think that it needs to be re-associated again in whatever you are using (keyboard set, sequence, style).

I am not sure there is an easy way to do this other than physically reassigning the sound to the location you want again. At least, that is what I have resigned to do when I make changes.

I could be wrong, but that is my experience in my 2.5 years with the PA700.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: User Sounds can be easily orphaned Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:

-> if you change where that Sound sits in the User banks that Sound is 'orphaned' from the Keyboard Sets it was pointing to.

Only specific User location is saved at Keyboard SET memory , for instance if saved as User Bank 4 , 4th page location ID then
whatever is saved at that location this sound will produced in this KB Set , exactly as in Kronos Programs - Combination association ,
but in Kronos we have a function to re-assign Program Banks , Program location must be exactly the same though !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: User Sounds can be easily orphaned Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
Randelph wrote:

Only specific User location is saved at Keyboard SET memory , for instance if saved as User Bank 4 , 4th page location ID then
whatever is saved at that location this sound will produced in this KB Set , exactly as in Kronos Programs - Combination association ,
but in Kronos we have a function to re-assign Program Banks , Program location must be exactly the same though !

Yes, this is a universal problem with all keyboards.

? So, the files that will be orphaned if you move them are:
- User Sounds
- User Keyboard Sets
- User Styles

Anything USER will be orphaned.

I've gone from trying to create User banks of Sounds to mostly using Factory Sounds. I'm still slowly building up the User Sounds, but for that I've created a list that is taped to my Pa1000.

It's totally ridiculous and unnecessary that Korg did not create a User Sound bank that mirrored the Factory categories. Instead of 16 categories like we get in the Factory User bank, we get 4 categories. AAAGGGGGHHH! WHY????????? Such a hassle. I realize there's 16 pages for each of the 4 User Sound banks, but who wants to memorize and scroll like that. It just aint right!

My User Sound bank list
Sound 1: AP / EP / Mallet / Bell
Sound 2: Org Pad / Strings / Accordian
Sound 3: Guitar / Bass / Plucked
Sound 4: Lead / Brass / Woodwinds / Ethnic and Misc.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styles & KBD Sets can be copied anywhere and will work fine if pointing to valid Sound positions , so if you use factory sounds untouched then you
don't have to use / copy them to User banks , just use the original factory position that will not be altered in any loading external resources case !

The right way in your case is to use only KBD SET USER BANKS with the same variety you wrote , pointing to factory Sounds and create User
Sounds only with custom resources that you've made organized in the same Bank to be easily to modify your Styles/KBD Sets if needed.

You must understand that Styles , Seq & KBD Sets are saving only the specific address of a Sound/DK and this is completely reasonable and valid
for custom resources & sound development and the way that this works in all Brands of workstations & arrangers.

An external PC utility like PA manager would help you to easily redirect specific Sounds of Styles/KBD Sets that are pointing to vacant positions.

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
MusicLover400

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need more user sound banks and slots, I have 220MB free RAM but no user sound slots to store additional sound that I need.
Factory resources are great for western music but I have eastern music
sounds to store in the user slots.
All Korg has to do is create this sound folders, basically a few more lines of codes in the OS. I HOPE in the next OS upgrade for PA1000 we get more user Sound banks.

Regards,

Al
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: