Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Korg layers question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: King Korg layers question Reply with quote

Is it possible to have for example, Timbre A playing the arpreggiator and Timbre B not. I'd like to have a pad sound without the arpeggiator.
A layered sound. I have to admit that I'm not very good with my KK even though I've had it for several years now. It's time that I upped my game.
Any elp would be greatly appreciated and all thanks are in advane!
Stay healthy!

Jeremykeys
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sure this can.
* Choose VoiceMode being split or layer (p02~06: Common pages)
* Choose for the arpeggiator the assign to only timbre A or B (a01~a02: arp pages)
* Choose different sounds for each timbre

Have fun...
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great! Thank you very much. I'm still having a little bit of a problem though. How do I choose a different sound for my Timbre B?

Forgive me but I'm slow. Wink

Thanks again!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry. I was a bit fast.
Once setup as split or layer mode, you can push either Timbre A or B button and all front panel controls (like oscillator, filter, amp) will then edit the selected timbre.

This may be nice if you like sound design, but could also be painful.
A nice thing is the copy timbre utility (page u02)
It goes a bit like this. Find first 2 programs that you want to combine in one program as Timbre A and B and note down the progam number of the second one.
Select the first program which you like as your first timbre. Set it up in layer or split mode. Now timbre B comes available but does not sound to what you want...
Now go to the utility u02 page. Here you can then select the second program number as source program. Also the timbre A/B of that second program (just in case that second program had originally already a split/layer mode). Finally choose timbre B of your current program as destination to copy to and confirm.

(Refer also to p20 of the Owner's Manual).

Enjoy!
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciated all of your help! Thanks a ton! Very Happy

I know I will have more questions though so please expect at least a couple more. I will try not to be a pest though.
I'm trying to get a better understanding of this wonderful synth. In 7 weeks I turn 65 and my wife wants to buy me something special. I really don't want her to waste any money on me though. I do have a pretty good understanding of my old Kronos and that's the keyboard I pretty much always turn to first. The King Korg sits on my stand above the Kronos and my old Wavestation EX is above that. As I slowly escape from having to work, I figure that I really should know how all of my toys work since this is where I'll be spending a lot of my time. When she asked what I'd really like for my birthday, I do have to admit the a Moog One popped into my head! But I know better. A bit out of the budget.!
Thanks again for all of your help! I'm going to try some or your ideas. Keeping the manual nearby!

Jeremykeys!
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Glad to help you further.
Good luck with that escape from work! Have fun with exploring the KK!
This guy still needs at least another 20 years before the great escape looms behind the corner...

Bye
moontom

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: related question Reply with quote

I don't have the King yet but I want to know if I can create a layer using 2 timbres (say a lead w/ a pad underneath) and then also have a split, to do bass ?
it's hard to tell from the korg marketing speak but seems like it could work b/c the overall polyphony is 24 voices.

thanks in advance
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

A lead, a pad and bass, that is 3 timbres. So, no, that is not going to work on the KK. KK is limited to 2 timbres, that you can layer (both played when hitting a key) or set up as two separate instruments using a split keyboard.

The number of voices is not an indication of the number of different timbres you can play but rather wheter you can play chords and have sustained notes. Now for a lead and bass you have in theory enough with 2...

Have fun.
moontom

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: thanks OpAmp Reply with quote

thank you OpAmp for clarifying that. it was wishful thinking on my part!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: