Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARP 2600 CANCELED....Korg Marketing Ploy!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thevault

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:22 pm    Post subject: ARP 2600 CANCELED....Korg Marketing Ploy!!! Reply with quote

Why did Korg market a product that is Canceled???

Not interested in any Korg products.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you read about it ?

"Korg brings back classic ARP 2600 synth for a limited run."

Limited.

From what I recall, it sold out the first day or 2.

Just me, it wasn't a " OMG I must Have " thing.
thevault

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marketing ploy for 100 units......All the dealers still have it on there sites to place order.....give me a break .....complete BS to sell Korg.

This one product that I would purchased compared to all the crappy Korg products the sheep buy.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I am not a fan of crass capitalism nd marketing gimmicks. .. these co's are making lots of margin. So when I see $3999. Not for me.
thevault

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Korg Reply with quote

Has nothing to do with capitalism.

I agree that the price is on the high side but if there's people willing to pay you would think the stupid people at Korg would fill the orders. Korg marketing created this ploy and if they think it's helping sales they're wrong. Rolling Eyes
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ' willing to pay high prices for keyboards/synths ' is an interesting phenomena.

I understand the ''free market''' and marketplace supply/demand basics.

Lets put that aside.

Its my opinion, esp with +$3000 keyboards by the big 3, is that the factory pricing strategy is high. And there is plenty of room for profit at a much lower price. Not talking retail. Talking the factory or the manufacturer.

especially when the keyboard has been in the marketplace for some period of time.

Anyway, I had this discussion with 25 keyboard owners. 22 completely disagreed with my premise. It was quite a discussion. I have heard all the justifications , rationale, etc. In the past , I held the same, too.

Only 3 owners felt my point was valid.

I followed up with a margin analysis for a recent keyboard/electronics co 2019 financial statement - which showed that gross margins were very healthy {{ not razor thin, etc etc }} . And that operating income is also strong.

This wasn't about " where can I buy the cheapest keyboard " . It was about the + $3000 keyboard pricing, at the factory level, for the Big Three. A different non musical way, a financial approach.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Reply with quote

thevault wrote:
Has nothing to do with capitalism.

I agree that the price is on the high side but if there's people willing to pay you would think the stupid people at Korg would fill the orders. Korg marketing created this ploy and if they think it's helping sales they're wrong. Rolling Eyes

Maybe these 'stupid people at Korg' as you suggest really were interested in making a truly limited run. That could be all that it is.

Maybe they were testing the market to see what the true interest would be in making a larger quantity of the units. Pre-orders are one thing, actually buying them is quite another.

If they said that they were doing a limited run and they did it, why are they stupid? Just because you didn't get to buy one?

Why all the hate? Their other products are not crap and sheep do not buy them, as you suggest. They happen to have some of the best arrangers and workstations on the market. Have you heard about the Kronos, PA series arrangers? Maybe the M1? Remember that?

Come on - I hope that you did not join this forum so simply dump on Korg...

If you want to see a marketing ploy - maybe take a look at Yamaha back in the days of the DX-7. It was a great instrument, but how far did they capitalize on the FM tech? One only needs to look at the DX 1/5/9/11/21/100/FB01/etc... to see the full squeezing out of a technology... granted the DX1 was unlike anything else on the market and the ULTIMATE FM synth, but $15K? How about that the only real 6-op DX units were the DX 1/5/7 and the TX816 type racks? Everything else were 4 op units.

I will stop now...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Narioso

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible Korg was taken by surprise by Behringer showing off their 2600.

Much more modern design and really good as it appeared to me.

Why replicate a clumpsy design that need two people to carry?
Miles between controls, kind of. It was needed then being all descrete components.

But cool in itself to preserve the knowhow of the analog as is what happend in the last years. How they improved oscillator stability etc as they demoed Odyssey some years back I think it was.

Future generations will be happy they did. In 40 years they will make a retro of todays stuff - if it would have been 80-90 years technology would have been gone. Maybe in a museum to be seen.

And that Dave Smith did his new stuff too.

Or we might only have digital stuff left real soon.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a Moron:

96095599-10157650089439209-6703650921999499264-o

96521852-10157650089359209-6286218416231546880-o
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by BasariStudios on Sat May 09, 2020 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narioso wrote:
Much more modern design and really good as it appeared to me.

Much more Modern Design? LOL
I wanted an original new ARP2600 and finally i got one now,
i owned the Vintage for 12 years. People asked for an ARP2600
not for a more Modern Design. Behringer's is totally different thing,
slug

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thevault wrote:
Marketing ploy for 100 units......

Uhh why the hysterical fake news? We know there are at least 800 x ARP 2600-FS already produced up to February before Covid hit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: