Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How I have my Korg Pa700 setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: How I have my Korg Pa700 setup Reply with quote

I thought I would provide an update of how my Korg Pa700 is set up.

On my pa700 I use a system of two sets. set1.set which is for factory and user content. All the User banks for styles and keyboard sets have been renamed to replicate the factory categories. I have merged the factory songbook and setlists from the Osimo next content using the songbook manager.
set2.set this is for all direct content (styles, keyboard sets). Again I’ve renamed the banks to the same as the factory content. (Once assigned any changes made to a direct set folder will be saved, ie delete a style from a direct set it will be deleted) A Direct Set Folder is not read only.
I’ve also loaded the missing styles not in the Pa700 from the Pa1000 and Pa4x, these have been loaded into to a combination of factory banks, User banks and direct banks.
The styles from the musikant versions had also been loaded, and Bonusware.
I have empty banks in my Direct Set Folder (Set2.set) which I can load any new content from Bonusware etc so I can audition them.
As far a samples go I’ve got some loaded from the dopamine set, and other sets that I’ve found. Unfortunately as of yet you cannot rename the user sound banks.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NA, thanks for sharing! I wish EVERYONE would share how they do things. There are many many different ways.

These boards are fairly complex, and the way you decide to organize it can make a big difference in it's usability and user-friendliness. Esp with things like when a User file can be moved without risk of creating an orphan.

So do you use a lot of Direct sets? I haven't got that far yet.
----------------------

My biggest questions are around orphan files. For example, if you save a Sound to a User spot, you CANNOT move that file from that slot, the Keyboard Set that uses that customised sound only knows to look at its location within the User banks, it'll be 'orphaned' if you move it.

?????????????????????????????
I haven't determined how many files on this board are at risk of being orphaned.

>>> USER SOUNDS: yes, it will be orphaned if you move it from it's user location to another user location
>>> USER KEYBOARD SETS: is it orphaned if you move it?
>>> USER STYLES: is it orphaned if you move it?
>>> USER PADS: orphaned if you move it?

I'm really concerned about this, 'cause it means I can't use User files unless I've committed to their location in a User bank. Eventually I'd be fine with that, but it's a lot of back and forth to build up User banks, as I find new and better files, I like to be able to organize the User Banks to reflect the best of what I've discovered.

With User Sounds, I'll often go to the User Bank to try out the favorite sounds I've found so, and once I pick one, then I have to find that Sound in the Factory/Legacy banks, and use the original, unaltered Sound. I can't know if the order I now have the User Sound banks will stay the same, esp since Korg threw us all under the bus by not having the User Sound bank organized like the Factory Sound bank. Unnecessary hassle and rigamarole! What a stupid idea. Ready to shout from the mountain tops!

In any case, thanks for sharing!
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: User data locations Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
... I'm really concerned about this, 'cause it means I can't use User files unless I've committed to their location in a User bank.
.. by not having the User Sound bank organized like the Factory Sound bank...

This is not a disadvantage, but rather a huge advantage, because it allows you to arrange the musical resources in the user areas according to your needs without being tied to the classification used by Korg.

Randelph wrote:
.. With User Sounds, I'll often go to the User Bank to try out the favorite sounds I've found so, and once I pick one, then I have to find that Sound in the Factory/Legacy banks, and use the original, unaltered Sound...

This is not necessary, since the arrangement and designation of the user sounds is optional, without having to refer to the factory banks.

It is the optional assignment of user data that allows personalization of the keyboard to everyone's taste - and if you want to keep the arrangement like factory data chosen by Korg, you can of course keep it with your user data if you really want to.

Randelph wrote:
... Esp with things like when a User file can be moved without risk of creating an orphan...

If moving user-styles or user-kbdsets with sounds to factory-sounds there is no risk of creating an orphan. Same is with removing user-files with user-sounds, because link to uses-sounds will not be changed by removing.

But you have to be careful when you move or delete the sounds in the user sound banks, because the links of styles, pads and kbdSets do not match the changed locations of the user sounds.

If moving user-kbdSets to another location, styles linked to such user-kbdSets do not match or follow the changed locations.
If moving user-Styles to another location than songbook-entry do not match or follow the changed location.
Same happens with moved user-pads ...

Moving user-data at least has nothing to do with the fact that the user data maybe arranged differently than the factory data - it is the same if user-data are organized like factory-data.

At least it also is always good to think and know how to organize or move user data. In addition, external sets have to be adapted to the existing user data during merging, because their links point to the locations of user banks of a third-party device.

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can use multiple direct sets if i wish but as mentioned in the original post i generally have set2.set assigned to the direct folder.
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are quite complex but you need to do your homework. And remember to backup on a regular basis just incase you need to backtrack. Funny thing is its digging deeper with the pa700 that has given me a better understanding of my pa50sd.
Keymn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had over 1100 songs in Songbook for PA3x. Had all these linked in my songbook plus app on IPad. So I am creating the new songbook list for pa1000 using the same numbers. Keep Open songbook editor set for PA3x on pc, for reference of style and tempo.

Have user area open with bank labels same as factory. Made a direct set using PaManager where I have all the Bonusware 1-40 on 1 set. So if I need a bonus style, copy and paste it to user location. Have other sets with more styles. Load as needed.

Have all the style listed in pc in an excel Workbook. Created this list using Korg PaManager. So if looking for a style name, search in excel sheet. Then I will know what direct set to load.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my PA700 for many different things:

1. Studio use
2. Live use in my solo shows
3. Nursing Home Ministry
4. Duo/Trio use

1. Studio use - I write songs on it in the studio. I layer sounds with other MIDI gear in my studio and use the PA700 as the main instrument and control everything from it with regard to the soundbeds. I sequence heavily on it and layer those sounds with the MIDI gear to get the sound I want for the songs. It is a valuable tool.

2. Live use in my solo shows - I have MP3 soundbeds to my songs in the PA700 for my original material. I usually play the leads over the top of the soundbeds. I do all of the production work in the studio (#1 above) and create an MP3 in my studio. I use the songbook to arrange my original material and point to a Keyboard Set and MP3 for each song I do in my solo shows. Most of the time, I only need to bring the PA700 to a solo gig with the way I do things.

3. Nursing Home Ministry - I play at nursing homes for a living (and hope to get back to it when the COVID-19 stuff lessens). I have styles, both from Factory and downloaded, that I use at the homes. If there is something in the Factory styles that will work for a particular song(s) then I copy it to the User bank, modify the keyboard set(s) I am going to use with that style, and then rename that style for whatever song(s) I am going to use it for. I also have pre-programmed MIDI files of many different songs and I load them from the SD card I installed into the PA700 and access them from there.

4. I also have worked with different duos/trios where the PA700 is the main 'band' instrument. I normally do not use styles in this scenario, but do have a few that I have programmed that allow for live playing versus always using MIDI files. Since these smaller groups have me doing ALL the instrumentation, I usually program a MIDI file (probably have over 300 now) and will load each song individually depending on the set list. We will then play the sequence from the PA700 and sing/play over the top of that. I will usually bring another board or two for layering sounds, or for me to directly play since the PA700 sequencer is doing everything else.

I also like to do sound design/creation. I have made a lot of sounds for my PA700 and I have posted some of them for use by others here in the forum. I created a DX EP type thing that actually features many different programs. I patterned them from the Yamaha TX816 rack unit that could accept up to 8 TF modules (basically, a TF module was a DX7 brain). I created programs that featured the layering of up to 8 of these 'modules' to emulate the modules in use. I created programs using 1,2,3,4,6,8 'modules' (oscillators, in Korg-speak) to emulate the same type of thing happening when actually using the TX816 loaded in a similar configuration. It is only for the DX EP sound but they do sound really good.

To be honest, I have not used my PA700 much since the COVID-19 thing, because of what I normally use it for. I have, instead, been programming and setting up my live rig for my band. For the band, I use 6 different synths. I was using the PA700 for the first couple of gigs with the band, but wanted to leave it at home, as a dedicated rig with synths in it works better for what we do. My live rig consists of a Kross 88 (first gen), Kross 61 (first gen), Korg Minilogue XD and Minilogue XD Module, Ensoniq SQ1+ and Korg M50 (or another board if I like). I have the Kross synths hooked together in Odd/Even mode so they basically act as one synth (it doubles the polyphony) and MIDI that to the Ensoniq and the Korg M50. The Minilogue and Minilogue module stands on its/their own as a lead or special sounds synth. The Korg M50 (or whatever other board is there) acts as a layering tool for the Kross/Ensoniq rig. I also have a keytar, but it does not have onboard sounds on it and I have programmed it to talk to the Minilogue XD system. It is for when I get lonely behind my keyboard 'wall' and I want to get out with the guitar players and bass player and show off a bit...

As most of you know, I had to install a new joystick on the PA700 because I wore the original out. I replaced it late last year and had to fix it a few months ago, because the wiring harness that Korg used was too tight and there was not enough lead on the harness. That caused the cabling to disconnect itself from the joystick. I had to go in again and add a few wires to the existing leads so that there was more slack in the wiring for the joystick. Keep this in mind if you ever have to replace the joystick.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: