Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pros and Cons of creating/publishing " Full Cover "

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Pros and Cons of creating/publishing " Full Cover " Reply with quote

Set the stage here on my little bubble:

" Full Cover" is creating/performing/recording ALL instrument parts.
Plus the recorded vocal , if applicable.

Not just the piano/organ/synth parts.

IOW, think like you are a 1 Man Band for the well known song you are re-creating.

And I publish my material on SoundCloud, and its important that listeners enjoy
my musical product. That is my goal, all the time.

Why a Pro and con discussion ? Its a big question [ for me] of time invested and what your music priorities are.

My time is more important than money, just to underline the importance of choice of song.

And I am 95% original material, thus investing in a " full cover" recreating a well known song, is thought out vs ' casual experiment for myself '.

Pro's
-----

-the song is generally recognizable, depending on era, listening demographic.
-it might hold listeners attention and hopefully result in more than a casual listen.
-in some cases, the prerecorded vocal track is incredible. The lead vocal [ not me, ha ! ] is the star of the song.
- casual and most listeners have stronger preference to hearing a great or distinctive vocal
- as a ' One Man Band" I get to either duplicate all the instruments/backing tracks as close as possible or do my own backing track version. Or a mixture of both including the vocal.
-I am nostalgic for 60's/70's material. Doing a 'full cover' is satisfying, and scratches the itch of my memory.
-Since I am 95% original, a decent re-creation of a ' full cover' will add variety to my 80 song portfolio.
-If my version satisfies listeners, I can continue to create more ' full covers' of popular songs.

Cons
-----
-Out of pocket expense to buy a License to re-create/publish the popular cover song.
-Listeners familiar with the original version will instantly notice that my version does not sound " exactly like the record" , or my tracks are different than the original, thus they prefer what they have ' heard ' 500 times before. Thus their
preference is towards the original , which is per their memory.
-it takes time and effort to faithfully re-create certain instrument parts. Like the bass guitar, or backup vocal. This is fun to do, but there is a time commitment.
- the song is dated, [ 60's/70's] and listeners have little interest, no matter how excellent the vocal is.
- there is always another million songs out there to listen to, that are todays pop, contemporary, etc etc etc.

I think that's it ! It's your turn , Kronos musician !
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, I would lovingly say, don't over think things.

Don't lose sight of why you play and write your music, how it feels for you, what it means to you.

Everyone else see's and hears things through their own filter. Trust your own.

I see you as a song writer 100%. I love your passion and your heart felt wish for others to be happy. Your songs are an extension of you. Part of your consciousness and I hope you feel proud of your compositions.

Covers are covers.

When a bird sings, it doesn't sing for the advancement of music. But if somebody stops to listen and is delighted, that's fine. Alan Watts.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:

Don't lose sight of why you play and write your music, how it feels for you, what it means to you.

I see you as a song writer 100%. I love your passion and your heart felt wish for others to be happy. Your songs are an extension of you. Part of your consciousness and I hope you feel proud of your compositions.

Covers are covers.

When a bird sings, it doesn't sing for the advancement of music. But if somebody stops to listen and is delighted, that's fine. Alan Watts.

Thank you for the good advice, brother ! You are correct, I am over analyzing. I do this to challenge myself, to push myself.

I have several new originals to develop. Those beautiful babies will get attention.

sometimes a musical left turn is a good idea and the experiment pays off.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
runningman67 wrote:

Covers are covers.

Thank you for the good advice, brother ! You are correct, I am over analyzing. I do this to challenge myself, to push myself.

I have several new originals to develop. Those beautiful babies will get attention.

sometimes a musical left turn is a good idea and the experiment pays off.

Absolutely my friend. Follow your own path. Your passion for music is infectious and inspiring.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that recreating favorite recordings is a great way to learn, have fun and pay tribute to your heroes.

Here's one that I and a friend did about 15(!) years ago. A cover of Deep Purple's "Highway Star." I programmed the drums (EZDrummer sounds) and played the keys (Mostly Native Instruments B4). Bat's Brew took those tracks and added the guitars, bass and vocals, and mixed in Sonar.

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/interstate-sun-2

Check out this guy's tribute to Yes: https://youtu.be/M-6QNshZyL4
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point. Doing a cover is a way to challenge my song part construction.

It forces me to listen to tempo, how the drum rhythm groove locks into he song.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cover song is nice way to approach and undestand a composer and the way she/he writes music. I remember that some years ago, I had spent wonderful moment to decrypt by ear (and after I have verified with the music sheet) the song "Hasbrook Heights" from Burt Bacharach. Sometimes and even often a song seems easy to play, but in most cases, songs have secrets that are more subtle thant it seems.
In the case of Burt Bacharach it is the subtle constantly moving tempo of his songs. And more than that : his absolutely aerial way of arranging a song.
His songs are like balloon that quit the earth. All the others composers including Macca and even Brian Wilson keep their rythmic patterns down to the ground. Burt Bacharach is an exception.

But beware : some "easy" music sheets contain error due to the fact that they are simplified version of the real original music sheet.

And the essential question concerning the cover of a song is this : How to be as nearer as possible of the song and, in the same time, not to make a useless musical clone of the original song.
The balance is extremely difficult and dangerous to find ! Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
cover song is nice way to approach and undestand a composer and the way she/he writes music. I remember that some years ago, I had spent wonderful moment to decrypt by ear (and after I have verified with the music sheet) the song "Hasbrook Heights" from Burt Bacharach. Sometimes and even often a song seems easy to play, but in most cases, songs have secrets that are more subtle thant it seems.
In the case of Burt Bacharach it is the subtle constantly moving tempo of his songs. And more than that : his absolutely aerial way of arranging a song.
His songs are like balloon that quit the earth. All the others composers including Macca and even Brian Wilson keep their rythmic patterns down to the ground. Burt Bacharach is an exception.

But beware : some "easy" music sheets contain error due to the fact that they are simplified version of the real original music sheet.

And the essential question concerning the cover of a song is this : How to be as nearer as possible of the song and, in the same time, not to make a useless musical clone of the original song.
The balance is extremely difficult and dangerous to find ! Very Happy

we are taking the topic elsewhere but its up to us to do so Wink

Glad you mentioned Burt and what's involved into learning his material.
This reminds me of my effort to cover "Theme from A Summer Place" [1959]

I admire Jimmy Webb [ wrote material for Glen Campbell ].
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey that's a pretty good list of pro/cons there, Greg.

I've recorded some "full covers". I think the why and what I do with them is a little different from yours, though. When I do, I don't really post them anywhere very public (may share with friends/family). And my purpose is usually either

1. I'm trying to learn a production technique (how did they get that to sound that way)

or

2. I'm having a dry spell with originals or just feel like I'm stuck in a rut and need to break out somehow.

So I guess with that approach/mindset, I'm able to reap some of the pros you listed and dodge most of the cons.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
Hey that's a pretty good list of pro/cons there, Greg.

I've recorded some "full covers". I think the why and what I do with them is a little different from yours, though. When I do, I don't really post them anywhere very public (may share with friends/family). And my purpose is usually either

1. I'm trying to learn a production technique (how did they get that to sound that way)

or

2. I'm having a dry spell with originals or just feel like I'm stuck in a rut and need to break out somehow.

So I guess with that approach/mindset, I'm able to reap some of the pros you listed and dodge most of the cons.

good to hear from you !

I put a fair amount of effort in my stuff.

This time, I am working on a classic 1966 Motown hit single by one of the first 'girl groups '.
I have the iso vocal track which makes a big diff for a decent quality recording.

Having lots of fun , will take another week to finish and then buy the License.

Then its up to listeners. If the feedback is strong, I can continue with the same approach.

Some of the challenge is that this material is getting forgotten, which is to be expected. I hope listeners outside the US get a kick out of the vocal and my tracks.

I think some songs , esp great vocals are timeless, and transcend the many decades.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: