Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Solved! Kronos won´t boot, it doens´t do anything

View previous topic :: View next topic  
denpaccot

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Solved! Kronos won´t boot, it doens´t do anything Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
My Kronos is not booting anymore when I turn it on, the only thing that happen is that the fan turns on, nothing appears on the screen.

I tried to reinstall the operating system but it doesn't work, there is nothing showing up on the screen.

I plugged a monitor on the mother board and there is an error at the beginning of the boot process:

Mount failed for selinuxfs on /selinux: No such file or directory
INIT: version 2.86 booting
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
[1182] /sbin/ismod: process status error 1
Ismod /sbin/omapNKS4Module.ko failed
Error: cannot open framebuffer device. 19
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

I did some research online at it seems that the AM1806B processor from the klm-3002 Main board has failed.
I checked all the connections and they seems to be ok.
I would like to be sure it is that before buying the replacement board (it is not cheap).

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Denis

I found information about the AM1806B on this Kronos website:
(https://(Software Piracy Do Not Click).blogspot.com/2015/05/notes-from-inside-kronos-part-ii-omap.html?spref=tw)

Here is a picture of the error message I get:
[img]https://imgur.com/ZMLrVxl[/img]
https://imgur.com/ZMLrVxl

Last edited by denpaccot on Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The error message image doesn't show, as I think it is in a personal account area of Photobox.

I've not experienced this error. In fact, no boot up errors at all so far in several years of using Kronos.

It may be worth trying to update the Kronos' sub-system firmware, just in case this has become corrupted for some reason, rather than a hardware failure. The necessary software is downloadable from Korg support. Follow the instructions carefully.

denpaccot

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks voip for your reply
I actually tried to reinstall the software but it is not possible, there is nothing showing on the Kronos screen and on the Linux computer I get the same error message when I plug the DVD reader to reinstall the software.

What I think is happening is that the linux computer check all the systems on startup and there one module (OmapNKS4Module.ko) that doesn´t respond as expected. This module uses the chip AM1806B. So the startup process stops. But I am not sure of my conclusion.

I found this information online:
The AM1806B is connected to the Kronos' PC as a USB 2.0 Device. It is used as an I/O helper for the PC with (at least) the following tasks:
    LCD Display Interface - the OMAP exports it's display interface via USB to the PC where one of KORG's proprietary drivers installs it as a framebuffer device. So the contents you see on the display are (except for the startup screen) rendered by the PC and sent to the OMAP via USB.
    Touch Screen Interface
    Audio Interface(s) and audio mixing / routing
    MIDI Interfaces(s)
    Interface to the PSOC which handles the mechanical user interface
    Interface to the Security IC
    USB Device Interface (The Kronos' USB Host Ports are provided by the Intel Mainboard)

So, one could say, that the OMAP is a very fancy sound card for the Kronos' Intel mainboard - nothing more - nothing less. There is a software update available from KORG which probably contains the OMAPs firmware.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the sub-system firmware, not the OS, that I suggested trying to reinstall. The update procedure sets the mainboard into an "I'm ready to update the firmware" state which the OMAP might still have sufficient functionality to respond to. That was the hope, anyway. There are several different versions of sub-system firmware. The correct one needs to be used for your particular Kronos version.
tunaman

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don’t have a USB DVD drive plugged in, right? If not, have you tried pulling the hard drive and checking it? If it were me, I’d hook the drive up to a computer and validate that it was functional and that the filesystem appeared intact and accessible given the mount error and the fact that it appears to hit runlevel 3.
average_male

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First check your power supply voltages; I had a case where all voltages looked fine, but the PS_OK line was not readying the expected +5V. This caused similar behavior to yours but got something displayed on the LCD.
denpaccot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your help.
I checked the hard drive and is working fine on my computer, so the problem is not there.
I also checked the voltages and the Kronos is receiving the correct voltage.
I also tried to reinstall the subsystem firmware, but it is not possible the startup process stops at an earlier stage so nothing happens when I try to reinstall the sub systems.

Thanks for your help anyway!

Denis
KronosBro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any resolution for your issue?
denpaccot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been able to solve the issue yet.
We are in lockdown so I haven't been able to bring my Kronos to the Korg shop.
I have tried everything, but nothing works so I suspect there is a hardware problem, I think the KLM 3002 board is the issue because the screen doesn't work and that is the board that control the screen, but I am not sure.

I would like to be sure before buying a new KLM 3002.
Hopefully they will be able to help me at the Korg shop when the lockdown lifts.

Thanks you all for your help!

Denis
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denpaccot wrote:
I haven't been able to solve the issue yet.
We are in lockdown so I haven't been able to bring my Kronos to the Korg shop.
I have tried everything, but nothing works so I suspect there is a hardware problem, I think the KLM 3002 board is the issue because the screen doesn't work and that is the board that control the screen, but I am not sure.

I would like to be sure before buying a new KLM 3002.
Hopefully they will be able to help me at the Korg shop when the lockdown lifts.

Thanks you all for your help!

Denis

did you buy your K factory new, A stock ?
denpaccot

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved!!
Finally I bought a new KLM 3002 board and now my Kronos is working again! So the problem was a malfunction of a component of that board, I am guessing the AM1806B processor.

Thank you all for your help!

Denis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: