Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New (To Me) Korg Kross 1 Issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:08 am    Post subject: New (To Me) Korg Kross 1 Issues Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I bought ANOTHER Korg Kross 1-61 earlier this week and it was delivered today. When I pulled it out of the box and plugged it in, I noticed a few things:

1. Headphone Jack was very loose.
2. Three keys were not working correctly.
3. Audio Jacks were not working properly.

For #1, this can be easily replaced with a new headphone jack assembly from the Korg parts place. No worries.

For #2, I can probably simply pull the keybed out, clean it, and put it back in and it will work. They work intermittently and sometimes come on full volume and sometimes not at all. I am fairly certain a contact cleaning will take care of that issue.

For #3, I am a bit more perplexed. If I plug both L/R jacks to my speakers (which I know work and know the cables work), only the right side will sound. If I unplug the right side cable the left side will sound. The reverse happens if I switch the L/R cables to function as R/L cables.

Could this be a PCB tracing problem?

In most cases, I would simply use the headphone jack as the alternate audio-out source, but with a loose jack, I need to fix it before I could do so.

The Damper jack and MIDI IN jack seems to work fine. I have also verified that the USB jack works.

I bought this used, and in what the seller said was, Excellent condition. It clearly is not and we have been in talks/fights through e-mail all afternoon and may have to file a claim with the USPS. He is refusing to take back the unit and will not offer a refund. I will likely escalate this through the company I bought it through but I need to wait a week before doing so (per the website's rules).

He even accused me of buying this keyboard and trying to take parts from it for my other Kross-61 and send him the empty shell. He then made fun of me in the fact that I was buying 'outdated' gear. When I opened the box, it was loosely in the box with packing peanuts, even though he insists that he wrapped it in bubble wrap. Sorry - rant over...

I bought this additional unit for live work, to be used in 'Odd' MIDI mode along with my Kross 88, which will be in 'Even' MIDI mode. The Kross 88 should be in my possession again next week, as it was in for repair. I am not as worried about the non-functioning keys, per se, because it will be essentially, a module.

I have another Kross 61 at home, but wanted to keep it in the studio so I can program my band settings in it and then simply transfer the new PCG/SNG data via SD Card to the live units.

I fear that I may be stuck with the defective keyboard, but will probably fix it. He will not let me return it, and I am not sure that the USPS will accept a damage claim, since most of the damage is not physical.

I welcome any input.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear of your woes. Describing the keyboard as in "excellent condition", with those issues, would constitute a misrepresentation of the item. Mis-selling regulations might/should apply. I suppose its a case of caveat emptor. You don't say which buying platform you were using. Were there any clues that the seller might not be entirely truthful in their description? If you used a credit card, there may be a route to a refund through the credit card company.

Regarding the audio outputs, listening through headphones connected to the headphone jack whilst the keyboard is being played, does anything change when the Line out jacks have cables plugged in? One possibility for the strange behaviour is that the Line out jacks, or their connections to the PCB have been damaged; maybe the cable(s) got snagged.

The keybed may need a new set of contacts, rather than just contact cleaning, or it's possible the contacts are not fitted correctly.

Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Sorry to hear of your woes. Describing the keyboard as in "excellent condition", with those issues, would constitute a misrepresentation of the item. Mis-selling regulations might/should apply. I suppose its a case of caveat emptor. You don't say which buying platform you were using. Were there any clues that the seller might not be entirely truthful in their description? If you used a credit card, there may be a route to a refund through the credit card company.

Regarding the audio outputs, listening through headphones connected to the headphone jack whilst the keyboard is being played, does anything change when the Line out jacks have cables plugged in? One possibility for the strange behaviour is that the Line out jacks, or their connections to the PCB have been damaged; maybe the cable(s) got snagged.

The keybed may need a new set of contacts, rather than just contact cleaning, or it's possible the contacts are not fitted correctly.

The headphones are in stereo when they work. I suspect that the unit was damaged, either in shipping (although there are no visible signs of damage in/out of the box it came in.

I called the post office that actually shipped the unit out and they remember the box coming to them and all they did was tape it with USPS labeled "Priority Mail". They did not help the buy wrap the keyboard, as he claims in his messages. He is now saying that I am trying to commit fraud by buying the board, stripping of its parts for my own other Kross 61, and trying to send it back to him. This, of course, not true. My existing Kross 61 is almost in Mint condition. I have no need for spare parts for that unit.

I have tried to ask for a refund due to misrepresentation, but he has refused. I have escalated the transaction with the website, Reverb.com, and have not heard a response yet. I bought something else from them the next day (5/27) and it came in perfect condition and seems to work fine (although I have not added it to my live rack yet; it is an EFX processor).

I used my debit card for the transaction so I may contact my bank to see what kind of recourse I may have with them.

I fear that the guy is just trying to sell substandard merchandise and I am his victim at present. He strongly insists that the keyboard was in excellent condition, that I am the one that caused all of the problems it now has, and that I only bought the keyboard to scavenge it for parts and then try to return it...

I agree with the keybed contacts, but have not taken it apart yet to find out exactly what is going on. If I end up keeping the board (if Reverb decides to side with the seller), then I will take my time to fix it.

I am looking at ANOTHER Kross 61 from a more reputable company online and they are going to test the things that I found faulty on the one I just got. I explained to them why I am asking such specific tests, and they seem to want to comply. Ironically enough, their offering of the Korg Kross 61 was also available on Reverb.com, but I chose the other one because it was cheaper by about $20 USD. It appears as though I made a mistake I may have to live with.

I really hate being labeled as the 'bad guy' for something I have not done anything wrong with. I do not like doing business with shady folks, but the pictures and description gave no indication that there was a problem.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Update about faulty Korg Kross 1-61 Reply with quote

Here is an update for that Kross I got online from a seller down south.

I got the selling company, Reverb.com, involved and was given a refund for the Kross 1-61. I sent it back to the seller and they refunded the next day.

The other Kross 1-61 I got from a more reputable seller worked just fine. I took it apart to see what the rattling inside was, and it was a sunflower seed Smile

I cleaned it out anyway and it works just fine.

I am glad that Reverb.com was able to resolve the issue for me. They even removed the negative feedback that the seller left for me (He said nothing about how I paid quickly. He just complained about how I tried to get a refund from him and accused me of trying to part out his keyboard to fix mine...). With the video evidence and thorough keeping of records on my end, the evidence against him was irrefutable Smile

Grace,
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: