Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any RUMORS of new Korg arranger (Pa5X?) in the near future?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply think it’s wildly optimistic especially in these troubled times that any arranger maker is going to bring out anything revolutionary. All we ever get from new models from the same manufacturer is creeping improvement pace. Admittedly, the Genos made possibly the largest jump in recent memory, doubling polyphony to 256 and massively improving insert effects to 28 freely assignable (so, stackable if you want), Revo drums, plus updating to include the eight part chord sequencer. I’m not sure I see that in Korg’s future, especially now...

All we tend to see is no better than a 10% increase in NEW samples, the majority of the ROM remains the same, in the end. And 90% of the OS remains untouched. For which we are expected to pony up at least a grand or more if trading up, far more if our arrangers are gigged and a bit worn...

But ADD another, cheaper arranger from another brand and use it primarily as a sound source for your Korg, and sometimes the style engine for Korg sounds, or audio or loop capabilities the Korg makes difficult, and you gain FAR much more than you get in one model increase from the same manufacturer...

Yes, it’s a PITA, yes it would be best if all that improvement in sound came without the hassle of dealing with two keyboards, but that’s simply not going to happen. So, do you double your new sounds by adding a different arranger, or do you get a maybe 10% gain at best by waiting God knows how long for the next Korg? It’s going to cost you about the same...
DonM
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Great comments and suggestions.
I am hanging out for Yamaha (or someone) to produce a competitive arranger.
Yamaha make superb keyboards - I have owned many in the past - arrangers up to and including the PSR6700 then Korg released the i2 and revolutionised the arranger world.
I wish Yamaha would "professionalise" (if there's such a word) the Genos and make it more performance and recording friendly.
Genos sounds are excellent but styles and its OS very average.
I personally have always loved the Ketron Audya and would have bought one way back when it was released but there is absolutely no support here in my country plus it sells at a totally unreasonable and unacceptable price.
Roland have given up on arrangers.
Casio released their TOTL workstation arranger (MZ-X500) which is quite amazing but not in the Korg/Yamaha league

It's all subjective guys and in the hands, ears and eyes of the beholder.
Right now, I couldn't be more content with my PA4X, Kronos and Jupiter-80 - this is the most amazing combination I've ever owned

Take is easy
Pete Very Happy

Pete, I have Ketron SD7 and it sounds absolutely amazing. OS is really good too. Harmonizer a step below T.C. Helicon, but very usable. Nice controls, nice key feel. Beautiful touch screen....lots of goodies...
The big brother and top of the line is SD9, but I don't like the weighted keys or the location of the wheels. (SD7 has joystick).
BUT, as you say, support is limited. We have AJ in the US and he is always ready to help.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Don - you've got me thinking again!!!! BUT....

...sadly, our Ketron support and service here does not exist let alone the exorbitant pricing which would threaten my marriage Wink

Take care

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
fResH_
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketron SD outshines pa4x in some aspects. Listened to the comparission video. fuller and richer output sounding quality. And nice touch of samples.

SD7 has no sampler, but SD9 has. Whats up with the wheels on the panel? What are they thinking?

And I agree with what karmathanever says, the support is lacking and has not forum community like KORG and the pricetag :/

And end note is that Korg has a very strong OS compared to Ketron/Yamaha. Easy to make custom stuff and sound good, which is the power of Korg.

DonM wrote:
Pete, I have Ketron SD7 and it sounds absolutely amazing. OS is really good too. Harmonizer a step below T.C. Helicon, but very usable. Nice controls, nice key feel. Beautiful touch screen....lots of goodies...
The big brother and top of the line is SD9, but I don't like the weighted keys or the location of the wheels. (SD7 has joystick).
BUT, as you say, support is limited. We have AJ in the US and he is always ready to help.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
karmathanever wrote:
the exorbitant pricing which would threaten my marriage

"Its not how good you are, its the impression you leave behind."

Last edited by fResH_ on Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are the kind of player that doesn't go outside the ROM styles much, Ketron's are pretty amazing. But the audio loop stuff means that imported MIDI styles rarely sound anywhere close to as good as the ROM styles, and also means editing styles to use different kits or sounds is often also close to impossible to make sound as good as the loop styles.

I don't like the idea of some of my show sounding amazingly realistic, and then some sounding pretty average. I want consistency...
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
I don't like the idea of some of my show sounding amazingly realistic, and then some sounding pretty average. I want consistency...

Tyros 5 introduced Yam arranger lovers to audio "real drums" loops. I found them to be unrealistic and incredibly repetitive. The loops were way too short, hence MIDI was far superior - but then I find all Yamaha styles too basic - they work hard on producing fabulous intros and endings but the guts of their styles (where it really matters) is extremely lacking.
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Yamaha's loop foray never felt well thought out, and seems to have gone away now they are concentrating on Revo drums with a lot more articulations and round robins. I thought most of their audio drum loops were FAR too ambient, and completely impossible to blend in with the MIDI styles.

But Ketron's, probably because they have been doing it so much longer, are pretty much on the money, long enough loops to not be any more repetitive than say a MIDI style loop, and the recordings are quite consistent as to ambience. But, of course, you can't edit them...

I still think it's a blind alley as long as arranger manufacturers start to leverage the types of articulations and sample depth of the better VSTi's, but that seems to be a long time coming, especially when ultra realistic drum kit VSTi's and bass libraries have been out for decades on computers.

From what I have heard of some of the Revo kits, when programmed well, they are a huge step upwards. But even they suffer from most of the legacy styles not using them, and needing a TON of editing to fully leverage all those extra new notes for things like hihat articulations etc..

But at least the Genos is the first Yamaha I have heard in decades where, as long as it's playing a Revo style, I don't cringe at the drum sound! TBH, if someone put one in my Christmas stocking, I don't think I'd send it back! Twisted Evil
the_boss81

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched from Pa4 to SD9. Fortunately, I was able to return the ketron after a few days in the shop...
In my opinion Ketron sounds very good but at the same time boring and the styles are predictable...
Operation is OK in the new models of Ketron, but for me not as intuitive as with Korg. I had XD9, MidJ Plus, Audya was bad, then I had Midjpro with new OS, it was OK.
Acoustic drums, some acoustic sounds I find better with Ketron than with Korg, but with new music styles Ketron sounds very old... and the audio drums don't help much.
Sorry, but whoever wants to test things like "Ketron SD outshines pa4x." should do it himself and not spread mitology. I had both of them on one stand for days and I was disappointed with Ketron - I expected a bit more evolution from the previous models I had in earlier years. Korg is much more inspiring, musical... and when we talk about Midi Files, Korg is even more at an advantage. But of course everyone can decide that for himself. Smile
pawlikp100
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_boss81 wrote:
I switched from Pa4 to SD9. Fortunately, I was able to return the ketron after a few days in the shop...
In my opinion Ketron sounds very good but at the same time boring and the styles are predictable...
Operation is OK in the new models of Ketron, but for me not as intuitive as with Korg. I had XD9, MidJ Plus, Audya was bad, then I had Midjpro with new OS, it was OK.
Acoustic drums, some acoustic sounds I find better with Ketron than with Korg, but with new music styles Ketron sounds very old... and the audio drums don't help much.
Sorry, but whoever wants to test things like "Ketron SD outshines pa4x." should do it himself and not spread mitology. I had both of them on one stand for days and I was disappointed with Ketron - I expected a bit more evolution from the previous models I had in earlier years. Korg is much more inspiring, musical... and when we talk about Midi Files, Korg is even more at an advantage. But of course everyone can decide that for himself. Smile

Lets be happy that competitors like Korg or Yamaha exist. It is somehow drives Korg to work and making improvements or new models/instruments.
the_boss81

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got that right. But we should always test alone live and then decide for ourselves ... I was back at Korg's after a few days and it will remain so to my taste.But of course I have no problem if someone changes to another brand. BR Smile
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fResH_ wrote:
Ketron SD outshines pa4x in some aspects. Listened to the comparission video. fuller and richer output sounding quality. And nice touch of samples.

SD7 has no sampler, but SD9 has. Whats up with the wheels on the panel? What are they thinking?

And I agree with what karmathanever says, the support is lacking and has not forum community like KORG and the pricetag :/

And end note is that Korg has a very strong OS compared to Ketron/Yamaha. Easy to make custom stuff and sound good, which is the power of Korg.

DonM wrote:

karmathanever wrote:

Actually i think the best way to go if you allready own a pa4x and want those things that make ketron special too, is buying a ketron module like SD40 or SD90..

Arranger modules are what i would like to see more in the future, this allows you to buy a fullflledged workstation or stage piano and still have arranger styles.. sadly Yamaha and Korg don’t recognise this, probably because most users dont see it either..
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fResH_ wrote:

DonM wrote:

karmathanever wrote:

Actually i think the best way to go if you allready own a pa4x and want those things that make ketron special too, is buying a ketron module like SD40 or SD90..

Arranger modules are what i would like to see more in the future, this allows you to buy a fullflledged workstation or stage piano and still have arranger styles.. sadly Yamaha and Korg don’t recognise this, probably because most users dont see it either..
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the bigger companies could take lessons from some of the smaller companies and integrate certain features from them into their own arrangers...

I like the idea that Bachus talked about with having arranger 'modules' or desktop units that we could attach to another keyboard - I think that would make things more flexible for so many people.

I also LOVE the idea of the real drums and guitars that Ketron has. I never got into the Yamaha way of doing things in that regard, but I still have a lot of interest in Ketron because of how they sound, at least in the videos. When the Audya was first promoted, I was pretty blown away. It was neat to hear real guitar sounds and drum sounds done in such a fashion.

In my experience with synths and arrangers (see my gear list in my signature), the WEAKEST point for me in these synths and arrangers are the rhythm guitars. Fortunately, I am able to get a GREAT lead guitar sound with my Korg PA700 (using EFX and the DNC controls). But the rhythm guitars sound so sterile and, well, canned. Even in a MIDI sequence when I can use two insert EFX slots for them, they are not super believable. That is where the Ketron real guitar stuff seems to do better. I understand about repetitiveness in the patterns, but with memory being what it is now, we should be able to overcome that.

Maybe Korg could design real guitar and real drum patterns like Ketron does, but instead of adding effects in while they record them, they could take an EFX section like in the Yamaha Genos and PSR-X series and allow for lots of effects routings. Then, we could take the guitar patterns and add our own EFX to them according to the style of music we are playing. Imagine being able to take a dry Power Chord pattern and adding the Mic Modeler, Tube Amp, and Distortion of OUR choice to further define it as our own... that Power Chord pattern could work for many different genres of music based on how we set up the EFX.

The biggest problem with electronic drums is that there is a threshold where they cannot get any louder. This means that they can (and usually will) get lost in a full mix of music. The top threshold for velocity is 127. Jacking them up in a mix does not always help this because then ALL of the drums can get too loud.

I LOVE arrangers and I LOVE synths. They all have their place and I get a lot of use out of them ALL. I remember, back in the 90's, I had a Technics Digital Ensemble. I bought it for $5k and it had a feature that would change the density of the backing tracks based on how much you played over the top with the lead voice. That allowed me to have a lot more variation when playing it live. I am not knocking Korg at all because you can have up to 6 CVs programmed for each style and each variation within that style. You are still limited to the CV though in each style variation (even if you can specify the number of measures a CV can be). There is still a potential for 'boring' parts because the spontaneous (or 'live') feel is not there.

With that last sentence being said, maybe that is where KARMA would come into play. It would add that 'live' feel to an arranger. I know the argument of the additional control surface for manipulating KARMA, but maybe it could be done with an external controller surface hooked into the USB connection on the PA series.

Maybe KARMA is the answer to making arrangers sound more real. I would LOVE to see an implementation of it in one of Korg's arrangers. I really think that may be an answer. Maybe Mr. Kay could develop a software version of it like he did for the M50 and Yamaha Motif and see how it works. If it worked, maybe the next step could be to actually integrate it into an arranger. Based on what I know about KARMA and how it works, maybe he is sitting on another gold-mine for its implementation in an arranger...

If KARMA is too much to add, maybe Korg could add the dual ARP that the Krome, Kross, M50, Triton had. Having that over the top of an arranger style might add more variation. I know we can achieve some of this with the use of the Pads on the PA series, but dedicated ARPs over a style could be an extension of that...

There are a lot of possibilities, for sure. Maybe it is time for one of these big three companies to start looking at a machine that truly could do it all...

I know we have beaten the dead horse of pricing for such in instrument, so I will no go there Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: