Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vector Volume problem/bug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azureus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Vector Volume problem/bug Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is the best place for reporting bugs, I hope it will get noticed.

There seems to be a bug with Vector Volume controlled directly by the joystick and unwanted note retrigger on key release.

How to replicate the bug:

1. Go to Init Performance
2. Set Layer A to a multisample that has some sustain.
3. Increase the AMP envelope release to a noticeable value
4. Activate Vector Volume control (SHIFT+VECTOR button)
5. Move the joystick to the opposite side (towards Layer C) but not all the way, just to still be able to hear Layer A at a diminished volume.
6. Play the keys holding them down for different durations of time and release them - there is a noticeable stutter followed by a rise in intensity of Layer A on key release instead of letting it release smoothly.

This behaviour is not present when the joystick controls Layer volume via mod matrix, only when Vector Volume is turned on. It happens on all Layers and it's easy to overlook when all Layers are active with busy wave sequences. Nevertheless, it is very disturbing when playing smoother and simpler sounds with release.

For now, I'm successfully using vector volume via mod matrix, with the actual Vector Volume switched off - no problems here. However, many factory performances utilise Vector Volume function and they cannot be modified and overwritten to mitigate the bug.
Narioso

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last thing first - you can always shift+write to create a new performance and then reference that in your setlist - if you modified stock performance.

Personally I just insert "my" in front of any name I have modified and created a new with shift+write.

About your report, I am not sure it's a bug - it could be lack of information how this operates.

This is what I tried
- according to your description - feels like it modify sustain point in amp or something, more than volume as named. But some strange way the release point does not lower with it, but as you release key it still starts as in amp env at higher value. So release sounds like retriggered, but not lowered in volume. To me it's not clear exactly what volume it operate on.

- then tried setting vector release time longer than in amp, and behavior change. More like now it acts like there is modulation on amp release.

- sometimes fiddling with this, I have to turn off/on volume again since that part stop working. It's like some vector modulation has taken over or something.

- at times I have gotten the exact expected behavior, lowering with joystick you just get lower volume like you would lower master volume. Both sustained notes and released are lowered. No clue what made that happend.

Overall I don't feel consistent behavior, this that volume thingy suddenly disappear and all. Manual says if vector envelope is center, meaning all coordinates zero joystick only is in operation.

So where this move to that there is an vector envelope, that's is how I feel it operates, I am not sure. All coordinates can be zero, but just raising vector release time change how it sounds.

Is it enough to alter a time value from zero or must a coordinate be nonzero(which from description this is what I expect)?
It seems as you have touched a coordinate - it move over to vector envelope from then on, it does not matter if back at zero.

I really would like an "off" somewhere, like the sequences you can select if there would be "off" that not envelope whatsoever is functional. Or the Mode Off, Time, Tempo or something so you know this is not functional.

Now it feels like vector env suddenly is "On" from what I hear. Setting release time from zero or shorter than amp, it start to affect what you hear.

Thanks for reporting either way, always fun to dive into vector part a bit. I have put this Wavestate to rest for 4 months now, don't feel like being paying bugtracker on this thing and just await new firmware with fixes so far. Time flies, it's 5 months since last firmware and gather there are a pile of fixes upcoming.

For me, windows 7, and at least no sign of connection problems like many seem to have.
azureus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, something remains unclear as to how it actually works. Nevertheless, I'm going to use Vector Envelope and Vector Volume independently - by using the mod matrix - it opens up more possibilities and works great. One advantage is the ability to use 2 or 3 layers together to make a bigger sound and make it behave like one layer on the Vector Joystick - something that was possible on the old Wavestation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: