Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to select Programs instead of Performances ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulyuk6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: How to select Programs instead of Performances ? Reply with quote

Hi folks

A newbie question:

I can see how to select Performances from the Wavestate front panel or through the Librarian.
But how do I select and play Programs? If I select them in the Librarian, nothing happens on the WaveState. And I can't find a button or option to select Programs on the Wavestate panel.

Is there a way to do this?

thanks

Paul
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wavestate doesn't have the equivalents of playable Program mode and Combi mode that are found on some other Korg keyboards. It is more like the Wavestation in its implementation, which has Performances, which is what the user plays, composed of up to 8 individual Parts, which are roughly equivalent to the Wavestate's Layers. In the Wavestation, the Parts cannot be played individually either, although the Vector volume control can alter the levels of the Parts, much like the Vector control in the Wavestate.

In the Wavestate, each of the four Layers (roughly equivalent to Parts in the Wavestation) contains a Program i.e. the basic sound, influenced by combination of arpeggiator, pitch, LFOs, ADSR, and by filters and effects, and modulation matrix. It is possible to turn off the layers, by double pressing the Layer buttons, until there is just one Layer active, allowing the contribution of one Program in its Layer to be heard. If you want to hear just the basic program on its own, try creating a test Performance having just one Layer, and turning off all the effects, arpeggiator, etc, and then, using the Layer Programs edit page, scrolling through the available Programs whilst playing your created test Performance.

Look at the Wavestate Owner's Manual page 3 to get a better understanding of the basic structure of a Performance, and also Page 17 for an overview of the Wavestate's Wave Sequencing system.

Last edited by voip on Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
azureus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the main Performance page, press SHIFT+Page +. That will take you to Program selection page.
paulyuk6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: PLaying programs instead of Performances Reply with quote

many thanks for all the advice!
graaag

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for azureus' reply.

Also from the main performance page, you can hit > which will then highlight the program for that layer. You can then use the VALUE knob to select a new program for that layer.
Tugdual

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azureus wrote:
From the main Performance page, press SHIFT+Page +. That will take you to Program selection page.

Indeed... took me a while to find that.
Definitely in my rant list of very confusing design choices...

BTW I wonder if all programs are used in preset performances?
padking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The keyboard itself his up in my list of very confusing...... Almost all Korg synth gives direct access to the programs. Why not the wavestate????
Narioso

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padking wrote:
The keyboard itself his up in my list of very confusing...... Almost all Korg synth gives direct access to the programs. Why not the wavestate????

You got 4 banks on the 16 on the buttons in the current set list referencing performances.

Then you can have as many set lists you want, each referencing 64 performances.

And you can select from a database of 10 000+ performances if you want if you saved that.

And the up to 4 programs in a performance can be browsed individually.
And on performance button lit, one page let you access each layer to load a program.

If you want to load single multisample or wavesequence in a program press Wave Sequence button left of display.

This range of saves is not allowed on any other synth that I saw.

Not sure what other navigation you want?

Double tap shift make it sticky, if you want to repeat some browsing of pages.

Thinking of complexity what you can do I think gui is well thought out.
Not wanting to be beta tester I stayed away 5 month waiting for this firmware that came the other day. But am to continue exploring Wavestate soon.

But my concern is the quality of the electronics and algos for resampling pitches - so not sure I will keep it. Something will have to give in at this price point probably. Hardly any playable multisamples is good enough and thinking of layering in daw instead with high quality sounds. I will test until Arturia PolyBrute comes out end of year and see if to get that and drop Wavestate. But right now doing more mod matrix stuff in DeepMind to see how far it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: