Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keyboard Choices?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I sell equipment?
Should I trade in equipment towards purchase?
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Should I keep the vintage korg keyboards?
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 4

Keyth008

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Keyboard Choices? Reply with quote

Hello I am Keyth. I am new to the forum, but not new to korg. . I want to upgrade and conslidate the 9+ keyboards i own. I need keyboards for recording projects. I need a keyboard for solo gigs, and I need a keyboard for gigs with bands. I need quality, lightweight, user friendly boards that are economical.

I own the following keyboards: Korg Wavestation, M1, Trinity, Triton,(Korg remote keyboard) RK100, Yamaha S70 Vs , Yamaha PRS3000, Axiom 49 contoler, M-Audio, Keysation 88.
I am interested in selling or trading in some gear for a Pa600, and a Motif XF 61 keys. What are your thoughts?
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, in a studio situation where space is a premium I'd look at software or rack versions of any gear you have now and whether it's function will be covered by new purchases. So...

Korg Wavestation - KLC (software) or SR (used) rack version available
M1 - KLC (software) or M1r (used) rack version available
Trinity - TR Rack - more/better sounds than keyboard version - no SW ver.
Triton - Triton Rack, equivalent of Studio for expandability - no SW ver.
RK 100 - N/A - keytar
Yamaha S70 Vs - rack?
Yamaha PRS3000 - rack?
Axiom 49 - N/A - studio controller
M-Audio Keysation 88 - if this is the one with sounds... OK piano + GM

Krome 88 would be an over-kill good replacement for the Keystation in all respects and would also cover any applications that you use the m1-trinity-triton for now. It's sound architecture will be familiar enough from trinity/triton for you to be able to work with it easily. It has Triton's double-arp structure that you can probably use already, plus 600 or so drum tracks and another 200+ drum arps so solo gigging with "backing" arps would be covered.

If you truly love the sounds of the vintage korgs, I'd look for rack units in the $300 range or at least seriously look at the Korg legacy collection. The soft versions of the wavestation and M1 are really nice and are in many ways more capable than the original units.

You're looking at the Motif XF - I don't see a reason to keep either of the Yamaha keyboards, nor the M-Audio unless you want something for a fire/theft/flood scenario as an emergency back-up.

The Krome 88 and Motif 61 would give you both weighted and unweighted controllers to work with.

I love the look of the RK but it isn't velocity sensitive - so I think I'd sell that and put strap-locks on the Axiom if I felt the need to do keytar stuff -- you can open it ip and see if there's a hardpoint that will support a strap, or fill an open corner with epoxy, or epoxy a washer to the plastic almost anywhere to make a more solid attachment point. Just watch that the screw length doesn't hit any components and use a lockwasher/locktite to make sure the nut stays put.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Keyth008

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: keyboard choices? Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas and advice.
six_feet_under

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought all my boards for gigging. Lightweight, yet enough programability to do just about any cover. My Korgs provide the classic synth sounds. My Yamaha is the bread-and-butter piano/organ/clav sounds, and my Roland is the fun Keytar.

In fact, I enjoyed playing the Roland keytar so much, that I added straps to my Korg 61 https://youtu.be/I7YHznSAEYY
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Keyboard Choices? Reply with quote

Keyth008 wrote:
Hello I am Keyth. I am new to the forum, but not new to korg. . I want to upgrade and conslidate the 9+ keyboards i own. I need keyboards for recording projects. I need a keyboard for solo gigs, and I need a keyboard for gigs with bands. I need quality, lightweight, user friendly boards that are economical.

I own the following keyboards: Korg Wavestation, M1, Trinity, Triton,(Korg remote keyboard) RK100, Yamaha S70 Vs , Yamaha PRS3000, Axiom 49 contoler, M-Audio, Keysation 88.
I am interested in selling or trading in some gear for a Pa600, and a Motif XF 61 keys. What are your thoughts?

Sorry for my late post. I do not not know why I missed this one.

Welcome to the group Smile

With regard to your potential new gear, instead of looking at the PA600, I would consider the PA700 instead. It is markedly better than the PA600 and has a bunch of wonderful features over the PA600. I have owned a PA700 since September 2017 and am planning on getting another one at the end of this month, as a backup unit.

I like the older gear myself as well, and have a lot of it in my live rig for the cover band I play in.

For that band, I use the following:

1. Korg Kross 1-88
2. Korg Kross 1-61
3. Korg Minilogue XD
4. Korg Minilogue XD Module
5. Ensoniq SQ1+
6. Behringer Deepmind 12

The Korg Kross is MIDIed to the Kross 1-61 and Ensoniq SQ1+ for main sounds and MIDI layers. The Kross 61 and Kross 88 are hooked together in Odd/Even mode so I get double the polyphony between both boards. The Ensoniq SQ1+ adds layers and additional organ/pad sounds. The Minilogue XD and XD Module are hooked together for 8 voices of polyphony. The Deepmind-12 stands on its own for pads, organs, and leads.

The above system works VERY well for any sounds I need.

I am also starting up another group and we are a trio. There is myself and two female singers (one of them plays keys as well).

My rig for the trio will consist of:

1. Korg PA700
2. Korg M50

The PA700 basically runs the whole show because I am using the sequencer to play back all of the songs we are going to do. The M50 is for guitar sounds and other sounds that I will play live.

The other singer who also plays has an M50 (which I sold to her and program. I had two and she was looking for a top board). She is also looking at another keyboard and I am trying to direct her to a Kross 88 (she wants 88 keys on stage for her bottom board).

I also have a solo act where I support my original music.

For this, I tend to use the PA700 and the M50 or the Kross 88.

Again, the PA700 handles all of my original stuff, normally in MP3 format (the soundbeds) and I play over the top with the PA700 and/or the M50.

You have a lot of options. Older boards are great, but the newer stuff is also fairly priced and gives you better sounds.

I actually have 22 synths in my studio/live arrangement, ranging from older Ensoniq pieces to the new Korg i3. I rather like the i3 as well and it is LIGHT and has Triton level sounds and would make a great bottom board. It only has a MIDI out, so MIDIing TO it might be a problem. MIDIing FROM it is not an issue.

The Kross 1 or Kross 2 are also great alternatives. They are both light, have good sounds, and could also make a great bottom or top keyboard.

I would browse the forums and read about the different models that people talk about Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> New Members Zone All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: