Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca easiest MIDI Out mod!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisdaw wrote:
If the MIDI out functionality is all there why didn't Korg wire it up to a DIN plug? For some ppl no MIDI out is a dealbreaker. The Volcas would've been even more popular.

I think the concept of a small form factor and the kitch value of having a range of little boxes that interconnected without MIDI was more what they wanted with the Volcas. And I have a feeling that they only have a MIDI IN on them because if they didn't, the range would be panned by every MIDI user on the planet! I'm still really hesitant to buy the Modular since it only has the sync into give it any way of playing nicely with others.

Interestingly though, the Pocket Operators are still going and they are completely devoid of any external control beyond simple sync. They have also snuck up past the point I feel is reasonable for what they are, but I guess they are being made by a 'boutique' company, not a member of the "big three" and so they can do things that others can't and be excused (rather like adding pineapple and cherry flavour to beer).
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
chrisdaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I modded my Volca Beats and got the notes going into my DAW fine. I opted to drill a hole at the back and fit a 3.5mm stereo socket and made my own cable.

I noticed if I connect SYNC IN or SYNC OUT or the EARPHONES the notes stop getting sent to MIDI OUT.

Anyone else seeing this?

Chris
optofonik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/0-COASTMidi--make-noise-0-coast-midi-cable-1-8-inch-trs-to-5-pin-midi

Last edited by optofonik on Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
otzcz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisdaw wrote:
Hello

I modded my Volca Beats and got the notes going into my DAW fine. I opted to drill a hole at the back and fit a 3.5mm stereo socket and made my own cable.

I noticed if I connect SYNC IN or SYNC OUT or the EARPHONES the notes stop getting sent to MIDI OUT.

Anyone else seeing this?

Chris

It's all about MIDI specs (technical / electrical this time - I very recommend to study that specs for half of the questions here, not just yours;)), generally: grounds should be NOT connected together. If you do that, the polarity can be changed, digital signal can be inverted (1s are 0s etc.), or you just set the way for current loop (on which MIDI runs) different from desired.

https://www.midi.org/specifications/midi1-specifications
Digitakt, ER-1, Volca Beats + Bass + Modular, Neutron, k-2, Microfreak, Liven XFM, Beatstep Pro, Keystep, UC-33e, few FX (Zoom G1four, Razzor DD+DS, EHX Platform+HolyStain, Samson C.com), Mackie 1202 VLZ4, pair of RCF AyraPro6
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otzcz wrote:
chrisdaw wrote:
Hello

Anyone else seeing this?

Chris

It's all about MIDI specs (technical / electrical this time - I very recommend to study that specs for half of the questions here, not just yours;)), generally: grounds should be NOT connected together. If you do that, the polarity can be changed, digital signal can be inverted (1s are 0s etc.), or you just set the way for current loop (on which MIDI runs) different from desired.

https://www.midi.org/specifications/midi1-specifications

i've just done a standard MIDI Out on a TRS minijack. not tested yet.
tip=VD
ring=TX
sleeve=grnd

now i'm reading that MIDI-on-TRS is not standardised, and the SQ1 adapter with a female DIN has different connections to everyone else. is this the case? i've ordered something from AlixExpress, miniTRS to female DIN - i have no idea if it will work with a regular MIDI cable. the alternative is to make my own if it doesn't.

but now this: MIDI Out won't work if i'm running it on Sync, or if the audio output is connected?
LM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two standards for TRS MIDI: A and B.

Korg uses type A:

Tip = TX
Ring = VD
Sleeve = GND

Type B swaps tip and ring connections.

Type A is supposed to be the "official" spec adopted by the MMA.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LM wrote:
There are two standards for TRS MIDI: A and B.

Korg uses type A:

Tip = TX
Ring = VD
Sleeve = GND

Type B swaps tip and ring connections.

Type A is supposed to be the "official" spec adopted by the MMA.

thanks for specifying. i saw the two types yesterday. so i've wired it the other way. is either better for connecting to a female DIN that will take a regular MIDI cable? i realised as i was doing it that it means you have to cross wires over as you solder to the pcb, which makes sense if Korg is type A. so, it's Arturia that is type B ? who else? (if you know)
LM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShoNuff wrote:
so, it's Arturia that is type B ? who else? (if you know)

Yes, Arturia is type B. There's an extensive list on this web site:

https://minimidi.world/
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LM wrote:
ShoNuff wrote:
so, it's Arturia that is type B ? who else? (if you know)

Yes, Arturia is type B. There's an extensive list on this web site:

https://minimidi.world/

thanks !!!

oh wow... Confused the wonders of technology not getting its s*** together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: