Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SOLVED] Cannot authorize after format + full install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Athena Music Studio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Cannot authorize after format + full install Reply with quote

Hi to everyone.

A friend of mine gave me his kronos considered as "bricked".

Kronos 1 88.

In short : the mainboard has burned. He replaced with a new one bought from Korg (Intel D510). The SSD seems not original also, as it's a Kingston SSD 128gb.

When i got it, the keyboard was not booting, displaying a "19, keybed" error (file system corrupt...)

I did a full format + install on another SSD (the same Kingston 128gb) i had in spare in a drawer, because i wanted to keep his SSD intact, just in case.

After many aborted trials with Kronos V3 DVD, i managed to finish the full install with V2.0.2 DVD.

But when it came the authorization process, the problems started again.

I re-registered the Kronos via korg.com, with the Public ID displayed on the keybed, the serial number, etc etc.

I got a .reauth file i downloaded and put on a freshly fat32 formatted USB stick.

The synth says "authorization file found" then "success" but after reboot, i'm back to the authorization screen ever and ever.

I don't understand the problem. My .reauth file is sized 80bytes, it seems really little... i wonder if the authrozation process on korg.com is faulty and give corrupted .reauth file ?

Anyway, i need help to bring this keyboard back working. So, thanks in advance for your answers Smile

(sorry if i made mistakes in english, i'm french native...)

Last edited by Athena Music Studio on Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing you must be 100% sure is the MB model. Don't trust what was mentioned and open the unit. If the "new" MB has a square black heatsink, it's an old model for K1. If it instead has a rectangle-shaped aluminum color heatsink, it's a K2 MB. The Kronos will refuse to boot depending which OS you installed for which MB, etc.

Read interesting related topic here, especially page 3 :

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=110329&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
Athena Music Studio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened the Kronos as soon as i got it for repair, as a Linux enthousiast, i wanted to know what was inside.

So i'm 100% sure it's the good V1 Motherboard (Intel D510).

I connected an external monitor to the vga, a mouse, a keyboard, in order to monitor anything that could be usefull.

I really don't understand why the .reauth file is not really validated, there is no error on the screen, and the synth always reboot asking for authorization.
tunaman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athena Music Studio wrote:
I opened the Kronos as soon as i got it for repair, as a Linux enthousiast, i wanted to know what was inside.

So i'm 100% sure it's the good V1 Motherboard (Intel D510).

I connected an external monitor to the vga, a mouse, a keyboard, in order to monitor anything that could be usefull.

I really don't understand why the .reauth file is not really validated, there is no error on the screen, and the synth always reboot asking for authorization.

Another member just had this issue, and it was due to the format of the USB stick. Try formatting the USB stick via the Kronos format function, then re-copy the file and see if that resolves the issue?
Athena Music Studio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried with a thumb drive freshly formatted on my Korg M3 (the Kronos cannot boot, so i can't format the stick on it). The problem is still there. The synth keep asking the .reauth file, despite saying "file found" and "process ok" each time i put the usb stick.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand why the .reauth file is not really validated, there is no error on the screen, and
the synth always reboot asking for authorization.

AFAIK , this had happened before many years when a cloned SSD of Kronos 2 was inserted in a Kronos X , and there was a public ID
conflict between SSD ID and motherboard that could not be recovered with using both authorization codes of Kronos X and Kronos 2
just because the written ID in Global page was faulty ...
You have to ask previous owner for Kronos history actions , maybe installing OS in original SSD can resolve this issue !

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Athena Music Studio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more infos on my quest :

I'm almost sure the SSD is not the original one also, as it's a Kingston 128gb, and i read everywhere that Kronos had a factory 60gb SSD .

But anyway, i performed a full install after full format, on a NEW (but identical Kingston 128gb) SSD, so there should not be any file conflict.

I really doubt the owner still has the original SSD, nor the original (burned) mainboard.

I asked Korg France for support, but everyone is on hollidays for the moment :/
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more infos on my quest :

I'm almost sure the SSD is not the original one also, as it's a Kingston 128gb, and

- i read everywhere that Kronos had a factory 60gb SSD .

:/

slight correction.

Kronos 1 had a 27 GB factory SSD, 27 GB 'useable '.

Some sources will round up to 30GB for Kronos 1, but to be picky
its a 27GB SSD.

Kronos OS boots, loads from that location.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After many aborted trials with Kronos V3 DVD, i managed to finish the full install with V2.0.2 DVD.

My concern is with the dvds used for a new installation on the boot drive.
Does this mean you have a set of 3 dvd disks ?

The original Kronos1 version only has two dvd disks,the later Kronos models have the 3,which are not compatable with the Kronos1.

Perhaps it would be better to start from scratch with the correct versions.
These can be downloaded from the Korg website, if you don’t have the originals.

Then try the authorising code again.

Also,it may be worthwhile doing a firmware install as well…make sure it is for Kronos1.
Be aware this has to be done correctly,there is no way to retreive the previous version.

Edit
There is only one firmware update from the original.
Athena Music Studio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clean install was done with the V2.0.2 DVDs (2 DVDs set) from the Kronos X.

I didn't found ISOs of the original V1 DVDs.

I also tried with the V3 DVD from Kronos 2, but it didn't work.

Currently, the install is a 2.0.2.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the 2 DVD set from the Kronos X should be ok.

Not sure what version they would be listed as, but probably will work anyway.

Try a different usb stick for the authorisation file and make absolutely sure to follow the exact procedure as per the user manual.
It can be so easy to miss a step etc.

It is possible the file given to you may be faulty, either from source or been corrupted along the way…download, transfer onto medium etc.

Also try to do a more recent os update, the one on a restore DVD is quite old….even though it should work.

A possible useful link.
http://i.korg.com/SupportPage.aspx?productid=598
Athena Music Studio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved : in fact, the D510 mainboard was "dead".

I found a spare D410 mainboard for only a few euros, so i tried it, and it works : now the keyboard boot and finish the startup.

But the D410 has only a single core / 2 thread CPU, so i doubt it will be OK for real use. I try with it anyway, but now i'm waiting for a D252 mainboard to upgrade to Kronos X Smile

The old D510 board is working well as a standard computer in another case, so i don't really what the failure came from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: