Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Berlin Grand Velocity Layers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emilloparski

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:35 am    Post subject: Berlin Grand Velocity Layers Reply with quote

Hi, guys!

Do you know how many velocity layers have the pianos in the Kronos?
My 88 is too heavy for carrying around and I am planning to sample some of the pianos, so I could put it in a Kontakt for example. I want the maximum quality, so do you think that they have 127 layers per note or 64 or even less? Because this information could save me some time when sampling ...

Thanks in advance!

Emil
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the piano samples were taken from play at 8 or 12 different velocities, to correspond to the 8 or 12 available layers in the piano engine. The SGX-1 engine caters for 8 velocity layers, whilst the SGX-2 allows 12 velocity layers. Plus there are soft pedal samples and una corda samples. These are then reproduced during play across the full range of 127 playable velocities. The Berlin Grand utilises 12 sample velocities. Some of the pianos sounds using the HD-1 engine are derived from as few as 4 sample velocities.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Emil,

If you want the maximum quality, you will also have to record all the other samples like the resonance, release, mechanical noise, damper up, damper down, etc. Note that the una corda samples have their own different artifact samples.
emilloparski

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I sample playing it note by note manually, wouldn’t these artifacts and resonance included in the sound?
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emilloparski wrote:
If I sample playing it note by note manually, wouldn’t these artifacts and resonance included in the sound?

It seems that you do not have sampling experience , so try to avoid DYI since you will be disappointed by results and you will waste a really vast time !
Only sampling experts can directly sample an acoustic piano that are familiar in Physic's behavior of strings with special lab equipment like robotic
dyno-velocity hummer due to define accurate velocity range per note , and Nope ... you can't capture artifacts & FX with just playing single notes of piano !
If you're not satisfied with Kronos 2 factory pianos then search Korg store or WavesArt's premium pianos https://wavesart.eu/KronosEXs or use top rated
pianos VST remotely.

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: