Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Original Wavestation patches compatibility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpasdernick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Original Wavestation patches compatibility Reply with quote

Hi Guys and Gals,

Does anyone know if the Wavestate can play the original Wavestation patches? I have the VST version of the wavestation but would love to be able to use those sounds in the new Wavestate.

Thanks in advance and please stay safe and healthy through these tough times.

Darren
Narioso

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only way to get it over would be with librarian.

If librarian accept the file it might work.
bobbybland

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some wavestation cards via sysex and tried this, but haven't found a way to open these using the librarian. I don't think the librarian is capable of importing sysex at the moment,unfortunately.
bobbybland

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg should open up this possibility, as well as give us an editor to work with before the masses start flooding. It's only a natural progression.
toddADSR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got mine. One thing though, is prior to release everyone was saying definitely that you could load Wavestation patches into it, but I don't see anywhere that explains how to do that or any conversion app. Did I overlook something?
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see this being possible. The Wavestate has all the original Wavestation samples and it is possible to build the same wave sequences. However, the Wavestate is not a Wavestation nor a reissue of it, it is a "reimagining" and as such it has some substantial architectural differences.

Notably, the Wavestation's performances have 8 layers, each layer consisting of up to 4 oscillators/wave sequences. The Wavestate on the other hand has 4 layers and each consists of only one oscillator or wave sequence.
The Wavestation also supports oscillator sync whereas the Wavestate has no such feature.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
padking

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried it with the librarian, NOPE!
Tugdual

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Trade wrote:
I don't really see this being possible. The Wavestate has all the original Wavestation samples and it is possible to build the same wave sequences. However, the Wavestate is not a Wavestation nor a reissue of it, it is a "reimagining" and as such it has some substantial architectural differences.

Notably, the Wavestation's performances have 8 layers, each layer consisting of up to 4 oscillators/wave sequences. The Wavestate on the other hand has 4 layers and each consists of only one oscillator or wave sequence.
The Wavestation also supports oscillator sync whereas the Wavestate has no such feature.

Agreed. The two machines don't share the same structure at all and the wavestation is actually more powerful... except it has less polyphony! I was myself fooled by the marketing and thought it was backward compatible but these are defo two different machines and the only thing they share is the collection of samples.
heder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love this functionality.

Being a software developer myself, I have been thinking of the possibility to create a "translator" that could take a Wavestation SysEx file and translate it to the structure of the Wavestate. (Using the WS samples and finding structure, filter settings, envelopes, effects that sound at least as similar as possible to the original Wavestation).

However, this would require documentation about the Wavestate librarian file format or the specification of the NDIS protocol.
(Using midi sysex would of course be possible as well, but does the Wavestate even implement it?)

Regards
//Thomas
michelet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heder wrote:
I would love this functionality.

Being a software developer myself, I have been thinking of the possibility to create a "translator" that could take a Wavestation SysEx file and translate it to the structure of the Wavestate. (Using the WS samples and finding structure, filter settings, envelopes, effects that sound at least as similar as possible to the original Wavestation).

However, this would require documentation about the Wavestate librarian file format or the specification of the NDIS protocol.
(Using midi sysex would of course be possible as well, but does the Wavestate even implement it?)

Regards
//Thomas

It would be a great step ahead, if original Wavestation Performances would be converted into WaveState ones.
But I suspect that the two structures are way different, starting from the point of view that the original Wavestation can count on 8 Part/Program Performances, while WaveState just on 4 Part/Programs.
Also wavesequence structures are different and the new subtleties of the WaveState don't have any correspondance with the "old" wavesequence format.
I think that almost everything is possible, provided that you are a very talented programmer and you have so much time to invest in this project.
If you wanted to do all these efforts for a commercial goal, what would be the final price of this translator?
Well, if you need a beta tester under OSX/Mojave platform, don't hexitate to ask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: