Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cloning SSD, without the Gparted step.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iskra-loop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Cloning SSD, without the Gparted step. Reply with quote

Hello!

Sorry for the bad English, I want to keep in a safe place the original SSD to avoid it's failture, and I don't mind for the extra space of the new SSD.

I really don't understand the Gparted step process, but I understand the cloning part using Clonezilla.

Can I just clone the original SSD into new 250 GB and put it back into Kronos? ( I know I will lose a lot of GB) But I can Always add a second SSD for extra space...

It's that I just don't get the expand part of the process...But at the end I'm doing this only to protect my investment...Since an SSD may die after many hours of use....And I use my Kronos a lot...

Is that possible?

Thanks a lot!
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you can. By default, whatever process you use, the clone will be identical to the original with regards to the partitioning.

You only need to use a partition manager to expand the extra space.
pollytronman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As tunaman already said, you can clone and you will have exactly the same disk space used and free than the original. If you want the extra space that 256GB provides, you have to expand the partition after the clone. This is a simple and basic operation for anyone familiar with computers. Dont you have a IT friend to help you? Wink
Stephen.m3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Cloning SSD, without the Gparted step. Reply with quote

Hi,

I saw a person upgrading the factory SSD with a new 250 GB SSD.
He did the cloning process with a external device.

After the cloning process had completed, the new SSD which was cloned, had installed in Keyboard. While switching on, the keyboard showed a startup failed error.

And then fresh OS was installed in the new SSD with the Factory 3 Restore DVD's.
tunaman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that myself, the first time I cloned my drive, and like others reported the DVD install failed during the format process. I left it to run overnight, and it was still stuck in the morning.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Here is the process I followed to clone the original SSD on a 500 Gb SSD :

1) Clone original SSD with EASEUS Todo Backup software.

After cloning, you get the same partition size as the original. So, you must extend it.

2) Extending partition on the new SSD, with PARAGON PARTITION MANAGER software. (GParted is not so easy to use).
iskra-loop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. Well, I will try with some IT, I just don't get the expand idea Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: