Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hear more than one track at once in sequencer mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kronosrx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Hear more than one track at once in sequencer mode Reply with quote

How do you setup kronos to hear more than one track at the same time in sequencer mode? Even though I have 2 tracks "play" buttons green, I can only hear one at a time. I know that I can change both tracks to channel 1 in Track Parameter, but I don't want to do that, because I want them on seperate MIDI channels.

I feel like this has to be possible, because when I start a song from a combi (by clicking ENTER + REC/WRITE), it takes me into the sequencer mode and I CAN hear both tracks (and they are on different MIDI channels).

Shouldn't having both tracks be green/play enable me to hear them both?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green for the midi track/instrument indicates 'play'.

you have to tick that box , towards the upper right corner, for the song, to record multiple tracks.

the assumption, in seq mode, is you have actually, recorded on midi track 1,, and separately on midi track 2, etc.

then you can play or monitor those 2 recorded tracks.

you can record up to 16 independent midi tracks/channels, in seq mode, and get beautiful results.

this might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0otHjaXvAq0
kronosrx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Yeah, I get that it is assumed you will record each track separately, but when I start a song from a combi (by clicking ENTER + REC/WRITE), it pulls both instruments into the song, and even though they are on separate MIDI channels, you can hear both of them at the same time. I am not sure how to replicate this consistently, when starting from scratch with a song, and choosing 2 tracks. I have been playing with this for a few hours over the last few days, and it confusingly seems to be random. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. So I'm definitely missing something. Sometimes when I go back to a song I previously saved, I can hear 2 tracks at the same time, sometimes I can't haha. I'll keep playing with it and update this thread if I figure it out.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronosrx wrote:
Thanks. Yeah, I get that it is assumed you will record each track separately, but when I start a song from a combi (by clicking ENTER + REC/WRITE), it pulls both instruments into the song, and even though they are on separate MIDI channels, you can hear both of them at the same time. I am not sure how to replicate this consistently, when starting from scratch with a song, and choosing 2 tracks. I have been playing with this for a few hours over the last few days, and it confusingly seems to be random. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. So I'm definitely missing something. Sometimes when I go back to a song I previously saved, I can hear 2 tracks at the same time, sometimes I can't haha. I'll keep playing with it and update this thread if I figure it out.

"" when I start a song from a combi (by clicking ENTER + REC/WRITE),""

if I was learning the SEQ, Personally, I wouln't start that way.

plus factory combis will often have a few or even several " global " or 01G instruments will be combined, occupying a group of midi channels.

if I don't want that cluster , then I have to de-construct it in track parameter and likely in the karma tab.

I do like many of the factory combis, but many are too busy for what I want to record. thus, the de-construction, or simplifying.

keeping it simple is good when learning seq mode etc.
kronosrx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my point was that it is functionally possible to have multiple tracks being heard at the same time from different midi channels. And if its possible to do, I would like to know how to make that happen consistently so I can toggle that on or off when I want.

Thanks for your feedback, -I was thinking of it from the opposite point of view though. If I am playing in a combi or a program, and inspiration strikes, I want to get that recorded as fast as possible. I don't want to go into sequencer mode and spend 15 minutes trying to recreate the sound from scratch when I'm just trying to get something down and recorded as quick as I can so I don't forget it. I really like the ENTER + REC/WRITE feature- I think it is one of my favorite things so far about the Kronos sequencer. Maybe I'm thinking of it wrong though.

I think the "cluster" that you mention is what I'm actually trying to get at. How do you cluster two tracks in the sequencer? How do you toggle this clustering on and off? Thank you so much for your responses, this workstation and this forum are awesome.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "MIDI Channels" you mean those that are selected from Sequencer P2: Track Parameters, sub Tab "MIDI"?
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say have two tracks play, do you mean trigger their sound by playing the keyboard like the combis do? I’m thinking that’s what you mean, because obviously the sequencer can play back all 16 of its recorded tracks (both audio and MIDI) at once.

To have two tracks generating sound from the keyboard in sequencer mode you would want to put them on the same MIDI channel (unless Karma is triggering the sound). Notice how when you do Enter+record from a lot of the combis, it’s putting several tracks on MIDI CH1 on the tab ronnfigg mentioned? Those are the ones being heard directly when you play the keyboard. There may also be key zones/splits/layer settings copied over from the combi. And Karma is likely listening to CH1 to play the tracks that are set on other channels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: