Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos crashing and display error messages
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maltheross

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Kronos crashing and display error messages Reply with quote

Hey guys

I have had my Kronos for a couple of years now, and prob played +150 shows with it. I've never had issues until recently where i've started experiencing crashes - the Kronos outputs a loud digital noise while displaying "a problem has been detected which may have been caused by cycling power too quickly", and then I have to restart the machine for it to work again.

Lately this has been happening up to 3 or 4 times a day during full day rehearsals and today I couldn't even start it up at one point -when restarting the machine I kept getting a slightly different error message: "A problem has been detected. Please turn the Kronos off, wait for a 10 sec, and then turn it back on", and it was stuck in that loop for 10 minutes until i decided to give it some rest. Eventually, after an hour, I managed to start up properly and backed it up to a drive, and then updated the firmware. This supposedly fixed the issue, but after 2 hours the crash happened again.

Anybody have any idea on how to fix this?

PS the maschine is a Kronos 2, 73 key, bought early 2018
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just last week or 2, a k owner described the same symptoms

what I recall, was the power supply needed replacing

dig back a week or 2 to confirm
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue and the same message on my screen about five years ago. After updating my firmware and software to the latest available the issue was resolved. Keep in mind firmware and software are two separate downloads.

Are you using a UPS?
maltheross

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, will try upgrading software too. Dunno, what is a UPS? Powersupply-wise, im using a regular EU schuko net-cable, and i tried multiple, so that is not the issue Smile
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- UPS is a battery device that produces uninterrupted net voltage if net voltage goes low or totally absent for a period of time and required if your net voltage is unstable.
- The use of UPS is critical especially if you upgrade software & firmware of Kronos and for every important save procedure !
- ...caused by cycling power too quickly" message might be related to old firmware , I have never seen that even in Kronos with older firmware.
- Your latest message "A problem has been detected... " is mostly caused by port communication of boot SSD and motherboard or system files of SSD are in
"pre"- corrupted stage and SSD will soon fail completely !
- In last case you have to replace boot SSD with a latest generation and clone old SSD or reinstall system DVDs and re-authorize your Kronos.
- PSU case is more rare for a newer K2 and symptom is the complete failure of supplying anything in your Kronos (completely dead).

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V

Last edited by AntonySharmman on Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
taki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having my Kronos 2 for 2 years or so, I have got this issue. In studio the entire time never moved around. OS is the latest 3.2.1.

Is there anything I can do before taking the unit in.

Thanks
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taki wrote:
After having my Kronos 2 for 2 years or so, I have got this issue. In studio the entire time never moved around. OS is the latest 3.2.1.

Is there anything I can do before taking the unit in.

Thanks

this is a frequent question.

-disconnect all midi and usb devices to test re-occurnce.

- make sure all external power connections, are solid and secure. kronos depends on steady power

- remove bottom cover and review , make sure all SATA , ram connections are firm, well seated.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
I had the same issue and the same message on my screen about five years ago. After updating my firmware and software to the latest available the issue was resolved. Keep in mind firmware and software are two separate downloads.

Are you using a UPS?

This solved my issue. Focus on your FIRMWARE! Mine needed the newest version.
taki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did have it on a UPS ($500 unit)... removed the power and placed on a surge protector only... has not reset for 10 hours...

Still, I had the Kronos on the UPS for a long time and it just did this today... Again, I never moved the unit.. stays in studio... As I type, it could of been that the IEC power chord needed to be reattached whcih I did when I moved to another outlet.

Again, I have the newest firmware 3.1.2, so a firmware upgrade did not do the trick...

Let's see what happens for the next week.

Thanks got all the info to the group.

Taki
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a K2 and was getting shutdowns and errors on a regular basis. Took it into the shop and they reset (and I assume de-oxed) all of the internal connections. If the system/OS loses communication with the hardware, it will error and/or shutdown. I could have done this myself, but I assumed I would need a new motherboard when I brought it in. I did not. It has been rock solid ever since.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taki wrote:

Again, I have the newest firmware 3.1.2, so a firmware upgrade did not do the trick...

3.1.2 is not Firmware, it is the System Updater. The Firmware is 6.06 as seen here (or 1.10 for Kronos 2, Gold, Platinum, LS):

Go to this link and wait a minute for all the links to materialize. Don't know why you have to wait, but it takes a moment.

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/0/79/

Falcon2e wrote:
This solved my issue. Focus on your FIRMWARE! Mine needed the newest version.

You know what, I think I had 6.04, so I just updated to 6.06. In the last 9 years, I've seen this screen several dozen times, even with my UPS. I don't gig, so it isn't much of an issue, but maybe this newest Firmware will help. Thanks!

I also read what Busch said, above. Good info.

taki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it did it again after I turned it off and on again. SO, it is intermittent. Since it has been sitting for 2 years in the studio, there may be some dust in it.. so, my next step is to open up and OX it and check connections....

Also, to Mike, I belioeve the updates also update firmware whcih is the FPGA within the Kronos.

Within my Kronos 2, I only can find the System Version That I am running which is 3.1.2.

I recently checked on Korgs updates and there is a 3.1.3 version whcih I am in the processing of installing. Again,l these updates install both software and firmware to the Kronos.

Taki
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it’s easy to find the current OS we are running, it’s displayed on start up. As I recall, I’m doing this from memory, to check the latest firmware, you should have the K connected to your computer. If you’re on the Korg support page and the K and the computer are connected with a usb cable, follow the download firmware instructions. If you have the most current running, you’ll get a message stating that. If not, follow the instructions exactly.

Again...3.1.3 OS and Firmware are two separate downloads.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you open it and try reseating all the connectors and RAM. Not sure where all the power supply connections are, but I am sure there are connections for that too.
taki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To All,

Well, I opend up my Kronos 2 88 and reseted the one 2G RAM slot (thought I had 2 and ordered another matching 2 to put 4G), and I DeOxed everything using the $15 spray can that I have a few of... and to my surprise.. no errors for at least 2 days.. turned on and off a few times too, but left on for the entire duration.

So, it looks like even if you have the unit in a studio, the dust may get to it.. or the plastic that holds the RAM together lossens and a reseed is needed.

btw, I tried updating the firmware too... Unfortunately, i was unsuccessfel due to the MIDI driver 0-9 slotting issu using Windows 10 did not allow me. I worked on it or a couple hours and decided to come back to the firmware upgrade.

The updating issue I will place in another post when I get it worked out.

Thanks agaion to the forum for all the good info. I hope my comments help out too for someone.

Taki
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: