Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High Prices for Gear are here to stay: Listen to Fender CEO

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: High Prices for Gear are here to stay: Listen to Fender CEO Reply with quote

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fender-is-running-at-full-tilt-amid-record-demand-170517532.html

Fender CEO: We’re ‘running at full tilt’ amid record demand

Fri, November 13, 2020, 9:05 AM PST

Although the coronavirus pandemic has devastated many small businesses, companies like guitar maker Fender have managed to not just hold on, but thrive.

“When the lockdowns went and took place in March, I never would have predicted in my wildest dreams that the company was going to end up having a record year,” Fender CEO Andy Mooney told Yahoo Finance Live (video above). “But in fact, that's what's going to happen. We're literally running at full tilt to keep pace with demand through the end of this year and the beginning of next.”

The surprise upside during recession times that Mooney described isn’t entirely unexpected. Last year around the same time, he told Yahoo Finance that he believed the company was “recession-resistant.” The company’s estimated global revenue for 2020 so far is over $533 million, even as the world battles a pandemic that has killed over 1 million people so far.....

[ see full article and interview]
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, its not about synths, keyboards, etc etc

However, I believe Roland, Yamaha, Korg, all our favorite co's are having a fantastic year.

This article, interview, underscores how these MI co's operate and plan.
fomalhaut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it’s totally valid for keyboard makers, but there is more.

Speaking of a particular recent Korg release, It also goes to show that the main demand driver for these companies has shifted from pro giggling musicians to “prosumers” who really don’t care if it does not have a control surface or would not take the time needed to grok Karma. And that’s why it’s going to be a hit.

Companies do their market research.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in agreement- Nautilus will be an excellent seller.

Its not captain obvious today, for some.

I outlined 'why ' in other topics.

I have a beef with high prices, but it seems I am tilting at windmills on that point.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not gigged in almost two decades, but I still have friends who pay for their lives by playing live music. Their lives have been put on hold right now so to spend what money they have on a tool for work while they aren't getting any isn't at the top of their priorities. I could image that would have an impact of the companies decided what instruments they are going to release.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here

Last edited by megamarkd on Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:
I have not gigged in almost two decades, but I still have friends who pay for their lives by playing live music. Their lives have been put on hold right now so to spend what money they have on a tool for work while they aren't getting any is at the top of their priorities. I could image that would have an impact of the companies decided what instruments they are going to release.

gigging musicians/keyboardist really have it rough. Certainly, in my state, California, I don't see any Gigs or work. Furthermore, the prospects of having a gig[s] for the 1st 6 months of 2021 seems doubtful.

I don't see where they have the income to update their rig. Maybe they sell off older gear to fund the new purchase.

I am guessing, I really don't know what % of keyboard musicians that gig vs the home studio type or the casual keyboard musicians.

My guess is that 80% of keyboard musicians are home studio [ like me ] and or are casual players. We have income from other sources, and can afford new stuff. For ourselves, and for our children.

If my 80 % is correct, that group is driving up sales for Fender, Korg, Yamaha, etc. And will continue to do so in 2021.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand Fender having a good year with newbies buying gear to start playing.

It would be interesting to see how Yamaha, Casio, Korg and Roland fair with sales specifically of their beginner models
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opops a very important "n't" was missing....

GregC wrote:
megamarkd wrote:
I have not gigged in almost two decades, but I still have friends who pay for their lives by playing live music. Their lives have been put on hold right now so to spend what money they have on a tool for work while they aren't getting any isn't at the top of their priorities. I could image that would have an impact of the companies decided what instruments they are going to release.

gigging musicians/keyboardist really have it rough. Certainly, in my state, California, I don't see any Gigs or work. Furthermore, the prospects of having a gig[s] for the 1st 6 months of 2021 seems doubtful.

I don't see where they have the income to update their rig. Maybe they sell off older gear to fund the new purchase.

I am guessing, I really don't know what % of keyboard musicians that gig vs the home studio type or the casual keyboard musicians.

My guess is that 80% of keyboard musicians are home studio [ like me ] and or are casual players. We have income from other sources, and can afford new stuff. For ourselves, and for our children.

If my 80 % is correct, that group is driving up sales for Fender, Korg, Yamaha, etc. And will continue to do so in 2021.

Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: