Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI over USB interfering with NI gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DiscoDandy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: MIDI over USB interfering with NI gear Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Great forum, lotta good info here. I'm a Korg and forum noob - please go easy!

I'm using my Wavestate as a standalone hardware synth in a mainly Native Instruments environment - well actually, I'm trying to do that - but there's a couple of problems:

1. Wavestate wants to basically control my NI gear (KK, Maschine Mk3 and S61) through MIDI over USB.

2. Line out from the Korg to Line in on the Motu is really lacking in volume/gain - similar story if I try to route it through the machine's soundcard.

So everything I have is routed through my PC via USB and a Motu M4 is my DAC/soundcard.

Native Instruments tech crew have advised I need to stop MIDI over USB in the Korg to allow it to operate as a hardware synth - I can't find a way to do that, so I'm reaching out here.

The second problem, I'm not sure about - perhaps the Wavestate needs some pre amp before it hits my souncard? I've ordered a small tube pre amp just in case (and I'm sure it'll add some depth regardless). Some forums say the Motu has a weakness on the Line in side - not sure about that as Maschine Mk3 has the same issue.

So any advice would be greatly appreciated here. I'm also pretty miffed about the RNDIS driver issue that is affecting ALL recent builds of Windows now. I can't even get my firmware updated.

Anyway, cheers to all from the Northern Territory..[/list]
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]I'm using my Wavestate as a standalone hardware synth in a mainly Native Instruments environment - well actually, I'm trying to do that - but there's a couple of problems:

By default your wavestate will output everything you play on midi channel 1. You can change this in the utilities page.

Or.... I think you may have your NI software listening to something like “Port A” which means it will listen to any and all devices broadcasting on midi channel 1. You can change this in Native Instruments so that only specific devices are heard from such as limiting it to your S61 and your Machine.

Hope that helps a little.

Quote:
2. Line out from the Korg to Line in on the Motu is really lacking in volume/gain - similar story if I try to route it through the machine's soundcard.

Not sure I can offer much advice on this because my I/O doesn’t have this issue. That being said, my I/O has buttons on the front that allow me so change the impedance of the input between Line and Guitar. I google’ed your I/O and I don’t see any actual buttons, so I wonder is this something you can play around with in the control software it came with?

Kind regards
Sharp.
DiscoDandy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sharp,

And greetings from the Top End to the Emerald Isle!

Thanks mate, your advice could make more sense than the NI opinion. I'll investigate a potential issue on the NI side first and report back.

Cheer from here..

Disco
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: MIDI over USB interfering with NI gear Reply with quote

Quote:

2. Line out from the Korg to Line in on the Motu is really lacking in volume gain -

I had the very same issue and then two days later I decided to check my cables. I was so excited receiving wavestate that I just grabbed a pair of cables and went for it. Yep, they were TR cables not TRS! Swapped out the bad for the good and there it was - fullness and louder. I'm sure you know better but foolish little mishaps happen… Hope you found your fix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavestate / MkII / SE All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: