Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Program Change on PA 1000 via USB MIDI?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
josh.ferns

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Program Change on PA 1000 via USB MIDI? Reply with quote

Hi. I am new to MIDI programming and I'm trying to work my way round program changes. My set up includes a Yamaha MODX 6 and the Korg PA 1000. What I want to do is to be able to change the patch on both boards by changing it on just one. (Eg. If I click 'Retro 2'on the MODX it should also load' Retro 2 'on the Korg which is stored in KBD SET)
Firstly, is this possible with USB MIDI? What are the settings that! need to input in the MIDI Settings on the Korg? Where do I find the MSB, LSB and CC info to input into my MODX to trigger the Program Change? Just FYI, I want the board to function separately, i.e. no layers or splits or any of that sort. Just want to be able to charge the patches as fast as possible. Thanks in advance
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Program Change on PA 1000 via USB MIDI? Reply with quote

josh.ferns wrote:
.. Yamaha MODX 6 and the Korg PA 1000.. change the patch on both boards by changing it on just one. (Eg. If I click 'Retro 2'on the MODX it should also load' Retro 2 'on the Korg which is stored in KBD SET)....

For ModX this topic is described well - and much better as can be done here - in the ModX Reference Manual.

The corresponding common part settings are to be made in the display [UTILITY] [Settings] [Advanced] ("Zone Master" = "ON").

With MIDI Bank MSB/LSB (000-127/000-127) select bank to be sent to external Device and with MIDI Pgm Num (001-128) select program to be sent to external Device (Pa1000). If you select your performance Transmit Bank Select must be ON and bank and progr will be sent.

If also Parameter MIDI Send is set to ON then MIDI bank, MIDI program change, MIDI volume or MIDI panorama become to be sent to the external device, according to the setting of "Transmit Switch" and "Transmit Channel" (nothing is sent if switched off or if all four "Transmit Switches" are turned off).
With Pa1000 Bank nr (MSB/LSB/PrgChg) is waiting for receiving in MIDI-IN (control channel). You will find describtion in appendix of User Manual of Pa1000.

For User-KbdSets it is 017/000-008/000-047, for Direct it is 018/000-008/000-047 and for Local-KbdSet it is 019/000-008/000-047.
PS: I think transmission via USB should work if you connect USB-to-Host of Modx to USB of the Pa1000 (Pa1000 will be HOST).

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de

Last edited by siebenhirter on Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
josh.ferns

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Program Change on PA 1000 via USB MIDI? Reply with quote

So I've found the MSB and LSB data on the Korg Manual but it still isn't working and I think it's an issue with my MIDI settings. Any clue as to how to resolve it? Also, more importantly do I use HOST or DEVICE?
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Program Change on PA 1000 via USB MIDI? Reply with quote

josh.ferns wrote:
So I've found the MSB and LSB data on the Korg Manual but it still isn't working and I think it's an issue with my MIDI settings. Any clue as to how to resolve it? Also, more importantly do I use HOST or DEVICE?

MODX has no USB HOST capabilities, so ModX can only be a device (slave) and Pa1000 must be the host (master).
As mentioned in my previous posting, connect USB-to-Host of Modx ((Type-B connector) with one of the USB HOST ports of Pa1000 (Type-A connector).
With Pa1000 go to the Global > MIDI > Midi In Channel page and assign the "Control" option to that MIDI channel your MODX use to send its MSB/LSB/PrgChange.
If still isn't working check if MODX is sending the required commands on the relevant channel. That most convenient is with a monitor program such as MIDI-OX.
Instead of USB MIDI connection also is possible MIDI Out of MODX to be connected to MIDI In of Pa-1000 (5-pin DIN).

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also covered at https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/controlling-external-device-via-usb-midi-only-to-change-patches - between there and here, I think you've gotten a pretty thorough answer! Have you gotten it working?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: