Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pa700 and USB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Korgestarr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Pa700 and USB Reply with quote

Am in process of learning Pa700 which is a great keyboard. Anyway, my main question arises out of the USB connections. Firstly, I am connected to the Pa700 via PC USB to USB Device, and a memory USB stick to the USB Host connection. When I go to Media, the instrument only offers me KorgDisk, and when I hit Enable it stays green, but I see an empty directory on my PC. Also why does the Pa700 not offer to ask me which USB I want to enable, Device or Host.
I have downloaded some Styles from the USB Host memory stick, so I know that works. Could someone clear up the USB questions I seem to have. Thx.
Ray, Taree
romney_yw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, welcome to the PA700 universe. I hope you get as much enjoyment from yours as I am getting from mine! I've had mine for two and a half years, and I'm still only scratching the surface of its capabilities....

With the USB interface, you are exposing the PA700 as a device to the outside world, so you can share the KorgDisk as you have discovered, and if you had an SD card installed (in the slot under the cover at the back where you change the internal battery), you could choose to share this as KorgSD instead. You can't share both devices at the same time.

You can't share the USB stick to the outside world in the same fashion. I don't exactly understand why, but it's presumably something to do with the keyboard acting as a DEVICE to the connected PC, but serving as HOST to the USB stick. When plugged in, the USB stick is available to the keyboard through the other Media options (Load, Save, Copy, etc.), without needing to be enabled first. If you want to access the USB stick from your PC, you have to unplug it from the PA700 and plug it into a USB port on the PC instead. (Make sure any write operations have completed before you unplug it. Some people suggest that you should switch the keyboard off before plugging or unplugging the USB stick. I'm pretty sure this isn't necessary, and indeed I have seen USB sticks unplugged - from a PA4X - many times in demonstrations by Korg representatives, but it's wise to be cautious....)

I'm not sure what you are expecting to see when you connect your PC to KorgDisk? The USB interface does not give access to the keyboard operating system or any of the factory resources. So you are probably seeing an empty directory on the PC because the KorgDisk actually is "empty". If you use the PA700 Media functions to create a backup, or Save All (User) Data onto your disk, you should then be able to see those files from the PC after you enable the KorgDisk as a device. Or if you copy some downloaded Bonus styles from the PC onto your empty directory, you should be able to see those files on the keyboard once you have disabled the USB interface. You can't do anything on the keyboard while the USB interface is enabled. (Be warned that you should properly disconnect the Korg device from your PC, before you disable the USB device in the keyboard. You can get some strange messages and could lose data if you fail to do this!)

You can use the page menu (top right corner) to create new folders, for example so that you can keep your backups separate from your saved DATA.SETs. You can also protect things that you don't want to change or delete accidentally, and unprotected them again later if you decide you do want to change them after all.

Also beware that the Media functions only show files which are appropriate to the operation. So for example, the Load function only works with .SET folders, so if you use Load to look at a location which doesn't contain any .SET folders, the location will appear to be empty - even if its got lots of other files (backups, MID, TXT etc) in there. This confused me several times until I got used to it! There is a Global setting to display unknown files, but this doesn't work in all situations...

I hope this helps to answer your questions. Do post further questions if there's anything you're still not sure about.

Good luck - have fun & stay safe!
Romney
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pa700 and USB Reply with quote

Korgestarr wrote:
.. Could someone clear up the USB questions ..

Data contained in memory from Pa1000 can be saved/copied/loaded/deleted/formatted/restored to/from external devices (like hard drives or USB memory sticks) connected to the USB HOST ports in case only while USB file transfer is disabled to the PC.
That is because communication with USB is controlled by one unique host controller. In case enabling an USB DEVICE that is the installed host on the motherboard of a computer. Now only this can read data from a device or send it to a device. Devices of Pa700 may be KORGDISK (internal drive) or a MicroSD-card or an internal HD - but can not be another external drive (like USB sticks, controllers, drives) behind another USB-connection of Pa700.
PS: While USB file transfer is enabled, you cannot access other functions on Pa1000. MIDI Over USB is also disabled.
If using the USB HOST connector to receive data from an external controller, connect it to the controller’s USB port (Type-B, sometimes named TO HOST).

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Korgestarr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

romney_yw wrote:
So you are probably seeing an empty directory on the PC because the KorgDisk actually is "empty". If you use the PA700 Media functions to create a backup, or Save All (User) Data onto your disk, you should then be able to see those files from the PC after you enable the KorgDisk as a device. Or if you copy some downloaded Bonus styles from the PC onto your empty directory, you should be able to see those files on the keyboard once you have disabled the USB interface. You can't do anything on the keyboard while the USB interface is enabled. (Be warned that you should properly disconnect the Korg device from your PC, before you disable the USB device in the keyboard. You can get some strange messages and could lose data if you fail to do this!)

You can use the page menu (top right corner) to create new folders, for example so that you can keep your backups separate from your saved DATA.SETs. You can also protect things that you don't want to change or delete accidentally, and unprotected them again later if you decide you do want to change them after all.
Romney

Many thanks to those who replied. One question remains. When I was looking at the ¨empty¨ Korgdisk from my PC, I was expecting to see all my User data. I am not sure why I wasn´t able to do so. I expected not to see Factory data, but as I can write, save, and load to and from my User data, I was expecting to see the User data. Is the User data memory on the Korgdisk!!_(my question mark doesn´t work).

In short it would be nice to know the Korg700 disk heirarchy. I have gathered some good info from your replies, especially about the Device, Host aspects of the Korg. I understand PCs well, but I feel that the Korg does things in its own way, and there are things I am obviously still learning. A good manual would be useful. I have had the Korg700 for 8 weeks only, and only gradually getting to grips with the thing. Many thanks again.

Ray, Taree
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Pa700 file management Reply with quote

Korgestarr wrote:
.. iIn short it would be nice to know the Korg700 disk heirarchy .. goo manual would be useful ..

... but it must be read - file management and its global structure will be found on page 875 ff of manual Pa700.
In short:
- all data you can access direct from your menue are in internal memory (also user-data) and available without to load data
- hierarchy of that data is clearly presented on page 879
- direct bank - residing in a storage device - are some data structured rigidly like in internal memory
(can be considered as external extension of the internal memory - also for immediately to be accessed from menue)
- factory data only can be seen when the Factory Protect parameter is deselected
(only when loading / saving / erasing done in Global > Mode Preferences > Media page)
- user data (but also factory data if memory protect is off) of the memory content can be saved into a ‘.set’ file
(then these data you can see on internal Korg DISK)

PS: Be careful if connecting the internal drive to a personal computer (---> page 906/907)

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de

Last edited by siebenhirter on Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
romney_yw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray,

So far so good!

What "User Data" are you expecting to see on your Korg Disk? If you have used the Media functions either to make Backups (.BKP) or to Save data to a .SET folder (e.g. All data or perhaps just the Songbook or user Styles), then you should definitely be able to see those folders/files when you connect your PC via USB. However, as far as I know, you cannot directly access the actual Songbook, or any Styles you have created or copied to the User section of the Style selection page via the USB interface - you've got to save a copy of them to a .SET folder first using the tools provided in the Media section of the interface.... Note that the saved files are copies of the data - if you change the data in the keyboard, the saved files will not be updated automatically. You will have to save the data again if you want to preserve the new information.

You can download a copy of the user manual from the Korg website. There is a separate version of the manual for each different version of the operating system. The OS version appears on the startup screen while the keyboard is booting, or can be found on the Media - Utility page (where you can also make backups of your system). The latest version of the OS is 1.5.0 and the corresponding manual can be found at https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/756/4262/.

I believe the older versions of the OS and the manuals are still available, but you have to search a bit harder to find them.

There's also a "New Features" manual, which usefully shows which new features were introduced at each release of the OS (https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/756/4256/).

If your PA700 is not already running OS V1.5.0, I think you should seriously consider updating it - the instructions are included in the OS download package (https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/software/0/756/4515/).

I don't know for certain, but I believe that the OS is based on some flavour of Linux - so it shouldn't really appear that different to your PC. Certainly, when accessed via USB, it has a folder/file structure which seems very familiar to me. I frequently access my PA700 using an Android tablet, and occasionally from a Raspberry Pi.....

Hope this helps - good luck, Romney
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: