Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos , USB (B) , No Mass Storage Device
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satish Rahi wrote:
Thanks, KK. Yes, mine is 61 key. So connecting to the LAN port on the motherboard directly is not an option.

According to the K2-61 pic here --> (https://up.picr.de/23419903ak.jpg) indeed it looks quite cramped to connect the LAN out. But possibly a right angled connector would fit there. Hard to tell from just a pic though. On my K2, I installed a female jack under the unit (below). Easy to do as the 88-key has a wooden bottom panel (not sure if it,s the same on the 61-key version).

Satish Rahi wrote:
I have an Editor for Kronos that I would like to use on Windows but that requires connectivity ... It's nuts Rolling Eyes Sad

The Kronos Editor freeware from SoundQuest should work fine though. I use it very often through the USB-B connection alone (no need for Ethernet connection). You should see your Kronos on your computer after installing Korg's driver, unless you use Windows 10 (I read some people have a hard time with it, but it works just fine with Windows 7 and even XP).
Satish Rahi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Satish Rahi wrote:
Thanks, KK. Yes, mine is 61 key. So connecting to the LAN port on the motherboard directly is not an option.

I need to know what USB Ethernet adaptor to buy that works.

Hi Satish and sorry to read that there is not enough space in the 61-key version on the motherboard side to allow a connector in the LAN port.

About the list, I bought a TRENDnet TU2-ET100 as specified and it did NOT work, so it's still in its package. The model was correct but recent (2018), so from what I understood it seems something changed in the protocol used in those little adaptors as it's not seen by the Kronos. Hence why my recommendation for the DIY direct connection (when possible).

Hey, no worries. I appreciate your and everyone's help here. I have not given up on the direct LAN port on the motherboard solution as yet. Meanwhile waiting for KORG to respond on what USB Ethernet adaptor to buy that works with OS 3.1.3 .... It is not a hard question ... someone from KORG should be monitoring this forum and help out ..given that they don't have a phone support at all ..its only email .. I am told
Satish Rahi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Satish Rahi wrote:

According to the K2-61 pic here --> (https://up.picr.de/23419903ak.jpg) indeed it looks quite cramped to connect the LAN out. But possibly a right angled connector would fit there. Hard to tell from just a pic though. On my K2, I installed a female jack under the unit (below). Easy to do as the 88-key has a wooden bottom panel (not sure if it,s the same on the 61-key version).

Satish Rahi wrote:
I have an Editor for Kronos that I would like to use on Windows but that requires connectivity ... It's nuts Rolling Eyes Sad

The Kronos Editor freeware from SoundQuest should work fine though. I use it very often through the USB-B connection alone (no need for Ethernet connection). You should see your Kronos on your computer after installing Korg's driver, unless you use Windows 10 (I read some people have a hard time with it, but it works just fine with Windows 7 and even XP).

KK, so I was able to make your LAN port on the motherboard solution work. Most commercially available Cat 5 LAN cables are too big, but the ones we made at home is thin enough to fit Smile, it was a matter of millimeters.

Closing up Kronos is hard with wire hanging out but it works.
Wish they had stuck out the LAN port along with USB ports on the back. Still waiting to hear from KORG if they know what hardware works (USB Ethernet adaptor)

And yes Editor works fine without ethernet. For some reason, it did not work before but is working now

Anyway, thanks for your help. I will update the post what else I find out from KORG, before closing this
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satish Rahi wrote:
KK, so I was able to make your LAN port on the motherboard solution work. Most commercially available Cat 5 LAN cables are too big, but the ones we made at home is thin enough to fit Smile, it was a matter of millimeters.

Closing up Kronos is hard with wire hanging out but it works.
Wish they had stuck out the LAN port along with USB ports on the back. Still waiting to hear from KORG if they know what hardware works (USB Ethernet adaptor)

And yes Editor works fine without ethernet. For some reason, it did not work before but is working now

Anyway, thanks for your help. I will update the post what else I find out from KORG, before closing this

Hi Satish,

Glad you could complete the mod on your 61-key Kronos and that the editor freeware now works. Cool

Someday, if you want to you could install a female RJ45 port on your unit as well. My Kronos is on a table a bit narrower than the synth itself, so for me it was just fine to install it on the bottom panel (as near invisible) and then connect a standard Ethernet cable between it and the PC. Or you might as well be just fine with your new current wire as it is. Wink For sure, it is a much better solution than buying adaptors that don't work.
NormC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satish Rahi wrote:
KK wrote:
My solution was to simply connect the Kronos directly from its motherboard LAN port to the computer. Very easy mod and works just fine.

I tried to get the recommended USB ethernet, they are old and not available. Not sure if KORG can help confirm what to buy that works with latest OS 3.1.1

3.1.3 is the latest.
Satish Rahi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried with a USB Ethernet adaptor (TrendNet) from the list recommended by KORG. It did not work.

Still waiting to hear from KORG if they have any adaptor in the market they know that works with their 3.1.3 OS. I am not hopeful. I don't think they invest in drivers development. Probably not too many people network their Kronos.

Was KORG always this bad in providing Operational Support for their products?
Not only availability on Phone or email is missing, but they also don't even monitor their own user Forum
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason, as I understand it, that the Kronos doesn’t support mass storage mode over USB is that the USB-B port is connected to a seperate RISC microcontroller, which in turn is connected to the Intel motherboard USB. I suspect transfer speeds would be quite slow, and the internal USB connection is shared with the frame buffer for the display, touch screen and control surface. The USB-A ports, on the other hand, connect directly to the mainboard and hence can be access by Linux.

The Kronos should support a very wide range of Ethernet adaptors, because there’s a only a handful of USB Ethernet chipsets around. You don’t need one of the specifically listed adapted, just one that uses the same chipset. It shouls also potentially possible to pretty easily hack the Kronos to support additional adapters.

Internally, the Kronos uses the r8169 kernel module for Ethernet support, as well as the USBnet module. Any device compatible with latter - which supports class-compliant USB Ethernet, should work without issue, AFAIK. The list Korg provides is just the ones they have tested.

For what it’s worth, I’ve had no issue with networking on the Kronos. I’m using it right now. Korg don’t develop the drivers, the Linux community does. They are robust and well tested. I suspect if one of the recommended ones isn’t working, it’s either because the manufacturer has changed the design, or there’s something else going on in your network setup.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Satish Rahi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:

I suspect if one of the recommended ones isn’t working, it’s either because the manufacturer has changed the design, or there’s something else going on in your network setup.

Thanks for your insight and reply. I have tried 2 USB ethernet adaptors both did not work. In this thread, it is also mentioned that previously working adaptors stopped after the upgrade to 3.13. So I am not sure what's the deal. I will check once again if something is wrong with my network.

Connecting the LAN port on the KRONOS motherboard has worked for me but I would not like to do that. It's kludgy on 61 keys KRONOS
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say “doesn’t work”, what is actually happening? What does the Networking screen on the Kronos say?

I’m using an Apple USB Ethernet adaptor and it mostly works flawlessly, though sometimes i do have to unplug it and plug it back in again to get auto-negotiated DHCP assigned. I’m just connecting it directly from the Kronos to my Mac, no router - but that shouldn’t matter either way.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Satish Rahi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:

For what it’s worth, I’ve had no issue with networking on the Kronos. I’m using it right now. ..... either because the manufacturer has changed the design, or there’s something else going on in your network setup.

Can you please share what USB Ethernet adaptor you are using that works for you. I have tried 2 recommended ones and both did not work. Others have complained as well, so the problem of compatibility seems to be real.
BTW, I checked my Network and it is fine. Nothing wrong with it.

If the manufacturer has changed the design, that's fine. What I have asked KORG is to let us know exactly which one to use. I am waiting for an answer.
Satish Rahi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
When you say “doesn’t work”, what is actually happening? What does the Networking screen on the Kronos say?

The networking screen on KRONOS says Cable Unplugged. There is no handshake. KRONOS should get an IP address but it does not

When I connect LAN from the motherboard to the router, DHCP assigns an IP address right away.

I thought a router was always needed. Maybe your Mac is on the network and it assigns an IP to KRONOS?
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using an Apple USB Ethernet Adaptor, but have used a completely random one off eBay before with no issues.

You don’t need a router to assign an IP. Without a DHCP server, the two connected machines will auto-configure IP addresses in the 169 “link local” range. The Kronos can then be accessed using “Kronos.local” as the address.

Mostly it works well, and I would say it’s better than the USB host mode found on the Triton as it’s always available and you don’t need to enter a dedicated mode to transfer files.

Grog96

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satish Rahi wrote:
I have tried 2 USB ethernet adaptors both did not work. In this thread, it is also mentioned that previously working adaptors stopped after the upgrade to 3.13.

Satish Rahi wrote:
Can you please share what USB Ethernet adaptor you are using that works for you. I have tried 2 recommended ones and both did not work. Others have complained as well, so the problem of compatibility seems to be real.

Hi Satish, I've mentioned this before on a similar topic. I bought this USB-to-Ethernet adapter from Amazon: Plugable USB 2.0 to Ethernet Fast 10/100 LAN Wired Network Adapter. Cheap as chips and quite small. It works fine plugged into either of the USB-A sockets on the back of my Kronos X 61, which I have upgraded to v3.1.3 (and it also worked before that). It does get a bit warm, but I've read that it's designed that way and is perfectly normal. Not an issue as I don't have it permanently plugged in anyway.

I also configured the Kronos to use a fixed IP address instead of DHCP. This makes things easier on the PC side; I have created a Windows shortcut on my desktop that opens ftp://kronos@192.168.1.96/SSD1/, and I can drag & drop files to/from there without using any 3rd-party FTP software.
Satish Rahi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:

You don’t need a router to assign an IP. Without a DHCP server, the two connected machines will auto-configure IP addresses in the 169 “link local” range. The Kronos can then be accessed using “Kronos.local” as the address.

I did not know that just connecting Kronos and PC works.
Auto-Configure is that on Mac or Windows or both. Any link on How to do that will be great and appreciated
Satish Rahi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grog96 wrote:
Plugable USB 2.0 to Ethernet Fast 10/100 LAN Wired Network Adapter[/url].

This one worked Very Happy Very Happy :

The 2 I tried before (recommended in Kronos Manual did not work).

So I am all set now. In fact, I have 3 different solutions

1) Direct LAN cable from Kronos Motherboard
2) USB ethernet adaptor to Router
3) USB ethernet adaptor direct to my Windows 10(No Router)

The culprit was the USB Ethernet adaptor. Some work with KRONOS others don't.
It has to be a hardware incompatibility between USB and KRONOS. I was hoping KORG would be able to tell me what to buy. They still have not gotten back after over a week.

Anyways. thanks all for your help. Hopefully, this thread will help others who don't chance upon the right adaptor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: