Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos: Did They Waste Space on the Front Panel?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Kronos: Did They Waste Space on the Front Panel? Reply with quote

it seems to me it would be nicer if it had a dedicated row of knobs for the amp envelope also, as well as filter. ADSR. Perhaps the sliders below do that? please do correct me if so. I just wonder if most of us feel the more dedicated buttons and knobs there are for functions, the faster and more satisfying our work flow. I certainly prefer it.

Thank you for any conversation on this.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as we know kronos has 9 engines.

the additional dials you want do not necessarily marry up with SGX-2, for example.
or HD-1.

IOW, every single dial desired is not one size fits all for all sound engines.

This is my opinion. lets see what our sound programming experts say. as it applies to all sound engines, not just 1 or 2.

I also prefer ' less busy ' on the chassis surface. I like the K's clean look.

Less is often more.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should explore Tone Adjust and how it uses the knobs and sliders for control over sounds. It's a pretty good way to allow the control surface to be customized to work with the various engines, and best of all, YOU get to decide how it's all set up.

Jerry
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos: Did They Waste Space on the Front Panel? Reply with quote

PlasticLoveDoll wrote:
it seems to me it would be nicer if it had a dedicated row of knobs for the amp envelope also, as well as filter. ADSR. Perhaps the sliders below do that? please do correct me if so. I just wonder if most of us feel the more dedicated buttons and knobs there are for functions, the faster and more satisfying our work flow. I certainly prefer it.

Hi there,

About physically adding more controls, it's actually next to impossible if you take into account that there is no more room for that on the 61-key version. So since any manufacturer will avoid using drastically different internals for variations of a given model, it is therefore not possible either even on 88-key Kronos panels.

There are indeed several modes for the left knobs/sliders, so even if it implies a few extra button pushes, you can indeed customize the controls to a certain extend. One fun alternative is to use a laptop/PC and an external MIDI mapper to define them exactly as you wish. It might not be possible on the road if you don't want to carry extra gear but it's easy to setup in a studio. I've designed custom external setups to save time when creating new programs. Since I almost never use the Karma thing, I can route the sliders/knobs to control any parameter - envelope levels/times, VCO, VCF, VCA, LFO, etc. This can be useful when you need to fine tune certain parameters manually to find a sound you look for instead of looking at their values/numbers on the screen. Still not enough ? Switch between different external groups of customized controls pushing a given key, pedal, etc. There is no limit with a bit of imagination.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerrythek wrote:
You should explore Tone Adjust and how it uses the knobs and sliders for control over sounds. It's a pretty good way to allow the control surface to be customized to work with the various engines, and best of all, YOU get to decide how it's all set up.

Jerry

I take it there are a bunch of assignable knobs / sliders, and with Tone Adjust you can assign them to the parameter you want?

That's cool. I like that. I'm just wary of my tendency to spend untold hours hunched over a keyboard customizing this stuff.. But that's still a good feature.

Yamaha, on the MODX and Montage, I believe has a large LED light knob that can affect many parameters at once. But that's completely different, I realize. I'm fine with what the Kronos has... I just prefer there are ADSR for amp and four filter parameters as well. I see the Kronos has cutoff, res, eg int, and release, that's awesome, but what about amp envelope? Do the sliders below control that?
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos: Did They Waste Space on the Front Panel? Reply with quote

KK wrote:
PlasticLoveDoll wrote:

Hi there,

About physically adding more controls, it's actually next to impossible if you take into account that there is no more room for that on the 61-key version. So since any manufacturer will avoid using drastically different internals for variations of a given model, it is therefore not possible either even on 88-key Kronos panels.

There are indeed several modes for the left knobs/sliders, so even if it implies a few extra button pushes, you can indeed customize the controls to a certain extend. One fun alternative is to use a laptop/PC and an external MIDI mapper to define them exactly as you wish. It might not be possible on the road if you don't want to carry extra gear but it's easy to setup in a studio. I've designed custom external setups to save time when creating new programs. Since I almost never use the Karma thing, I can route the sliders/knobs to control any parameter - envelope levels/times, VCO, VCF, VCA, LFO, etc. This can be useful when you need to fine tune certain parameters manually to find a sound you look for instead of looking at their values/numbers on the screen. Still not enough ? Switch between different external groups of customized controls pushing a given key, pedal, etc. There is no limit with a bit of imagination.

Super helpful and informative response, thank you my friend.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlasticLoveDoll wrote:
I take it there are a bunch of assignable knobs / sliders, and with Tone Adjust you can assign them to the parameter you want?

That's cool. I like that. I'm just wary of my tendency to spend untold hours hunched over a keyboard customizing this stuff..

Most programs are already set up with Tone Adjust assignments. Filter and Amp assignments are usually in the same place.

On screen, press the CONTROL SURFACE tab. This will show what the physical buttons/sliders are assigned to. Press TONE ADJUST to go into that mode.

Even more cool, is that you can record all of these movements into the sequencer, and then play back your sound manipulation.

jones

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:

On screen, press the CONTROL SURFACE tab. This will show what the physical buttons/sliders are assigned to. Press TONE ADJUST to go into that mode.

Even more cool, is that you can record all of these movements into the sequencer, and then play back your sound manipulation.

Good video, thanks , it all helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: