Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Korg NAUTILUS !!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leonh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how many of you will buy this lees is more flagship workstation in wich case Kronos is flagship ultra Laughing
ITguy54

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, will this item work with the Nautilus as a replacement for the 9 sliders/drawbars that are on the Kronos? And the other controllers could be useful as well?

https://www.amazon.com/ammoon-EasyControl-9-Portable-Slim-Line-Controller/dp/B01DKQZFSC
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
So how many of you will buy this lees is more flagship workstation in wich case Kronos is flagship ultra Laughing

Unless they do something dramatic with the software (not holding my breath) it's pretty much a hard pass for me.

In a workstation I want, above all, serious sequencing power, ideally with studio hub options like multiple out. Anything without linear sequencing need not apply. Solid sound generation is good, but doesn't have to be the be-all and end-all, because a studio hub can offload that. However, as an adjunct to sound generation a really strong contender is autosampling so that other devices can be captured for a particular performance, not to mention resampling.

I got the Krome for sequencing of MIDI. It's still the strongest outside of a software solution of which I'm aware.

If I were to get a new workstation today, it would depend on whether I could overcome my distaste for touchscreens again. If I could, something in the MPC series would be the easy answer. Studio master work is in their job description, as well as detailed audio fiddling. If I couldn't, the best that I can think of is the Kurzweil PC4.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Korg made a few mistakes with Nautilus.

Just the same, its not ' all about me and what I want ".

Its about whether this somewhat new w/s will be a good seller for Korg.

Thats the bigger picture.

And Todays opinions can change over time.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between Korg,Nord and AKAI is there some sort of agree these companies have made with drive manufacturers that they're required to put the tiniest drive possible inside their gear and offer you a bunch of Gigabyte heavy downloadable expansions so you run out of room?

I mean for goodness sake they offer some of the most expensive pieces of equipment but somehow throwing in a 500GB or 1TB of storage that costs a measly $50 - $100 bucks more is somehow out the question? I mean Nord is by far the worst. They don't eve give you an option to increase diddly. You have to buy whatever their latest keyboard is to get a larger drive and Korg sure don't make it easy to toss on a new drive. Like I want to pull out my screw driver and take a part a $3,000 keyboard...and for the love of goodness thanks Akai for making sure there's an empty drive space on the bottom of my MPC to remind me that YOU could have installed a drive from the factory yourselves but would rather I go out and buy one and do it.

Good grief man seriously what is with these tiny storage drives.

Here's a free idea for you Korg. Instead of making all these "Gold,Silver,Red, Black and whatever Special Editions that are really all the just the same thing how about you just make different editions with larger drives? Kronos 60gb, Kronos 250gb, Kronos 500gb and Kronos 2tb version.

Or if you're too cheap for that just put slots and an access door on the bottom of they Keyboard like you used to do on the Triton years ago so the user could easily expand it.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
Be

how about you just make different editions with larger drives? Kronos 60gb, Kronos 250gb, Kronos 500gb and Kronos 2tb version.

Or if you're too cheap for that just put slots and an access door on the bottom of they Keyboard like you used to do on the Triton years ago so the user could easily expand it.

Everyone knows storage is cheap.

write to Korg Inc Japan. we have been steadily ranting about short sighted product development decisions for some time.

These co's are trying to save 1 or 2 pennies, which screws up the concept of long term ownership.

Possibly co's like Korg only see a product like Nautilus , with its limits, to be a 2 year product life span.

If thats the case, if the expensive key board has been crippled or limited, I won't buy it.

We have other choices when buying an expensive keyboard.
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm prompted to idly wonder whether this attitude might not explain the decline of the keyboard workstation.

You see, DAWs on computers are a massive, censored censored in the censored. Being your own IT staff before you even get to lay down a single chord progression is horrible. Dealing with all the updates, add-ons, compatibility issues and everything that risks wrecking what you did in the past and preventing you from getting anything done when a deadline looms is unspeakably terrible.

But manufacturers of dedicated digital workstations (whether keyboards, or using pads like the MPC family, I'm not really distinguishing here) seem to miss a lot of the point of why the computers are such tempting alternatives. KORG loves to brag about the number of engines in the Kronos (and now, Nautilus) but any self-respecting DAW-twiddler has ten times as many plug-ins, half of which they forgot about six months ago. Akai Professional points at their huge multi-GB storage space, while DAW-twiddlers lean on their multi-terabyte storage arrays and yawn. And even an iPad Pro owner has a bigger screen than any dedicated workstation of why I'm aware. DA converters, too - you can buy breath-takingly, heart-stoppingly gorgeous DAs in the audio interface of your choice.

By any standard, the I-want-more crowd will always choose a computer, software and various hardware expansions because that's where you get more. The MPC range bids fair to offer a good chunk of that, with external storage, audio interface support and of course controller support as well.

The real promise has to be with magnificently smooth and reliable workflow. This is why no few composers still writer with a piano or guitar and staff paper. (Myself among them from time to time, truth be told.) It's about as low-friction, low-drama as you can get. I've given serious thought to even getting a microarranger just for banging out chord structures and pulling them together for compositions, before exporting a result as MIDI for later mangling elsewhere.

Perhaps what KORG should do is find a few top-flight UI designers and industrial psychologists, stick them in a cabin in central Alberta with a devoted composer for a year, and then have them design the slickest, lowest-friction composition and delivery environment in existence, and then produce that.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
I'm prompted to idly wonder whether this attitude might not explain the decline of the keyboard workstation.

You see, DAWs on computers are a massive, censored censored in the censored. Being your own IT staff before you even get to lay down a single chord progression is horrible. Dealing with all the updates, add-ons, compatibility issues and everything that risks wrecking what you did in the past and preventing you from getting anything done when a deadline looms is unspeakably terrible.

But manufacturers of dedicated digital workstations (whether keyboards, or using pads like the MPC family, I'm not really distinguishing here) seem to miss a lot of the point of why the computers are such tempting alternatives. KORG loves to brag about the number of engines in the Kronos (and now, Nautilus) but any self-respecting DAW-twiddler has ten times as many plug-ins, half of which they forgot about six months ago. Akai Professional points at their huge multi-GB storage space, while DAW-twiddlers lean on their multi-terabyte storage arrays and yawn. And even an iPad Pro owner has a bigger screen than any dedicated workstation of why I'm aware. DA converters, too - you can buy breath-takingly, heart-stoppingly gorgeous DAs in the audio interface of your choice.

By any standard, the I-want-more crowd will always choose a computer, software and various hardware expansions because that's where you get more. The MPC range bids fair to offer a good chunk of that, with external storage, audio interface support and of course controller support as well.

The real promise has to be with magnificently smooth and reliable workflow. This is why no few composers still writer with a piano or guitar and staff paper. (Myself among them from time to time, truth be told.) It's about as low-friction, low-drama as you can get. I've given serious thought to even getting a microarranger just for banging out chord structures and pulling them together for compositions, before exporting a result as MIDI for later mangling elsewhere.

Perhaps what KORG should do is find a few top-flight UI designers and industrial psychologists, stick them in a cabin in central Alberta with a devoted composer for a year, and then have them design the slickest, lowest-friction composition and delivery environment in existence, and then produce that.

my simple answer is that its all about the money.

Korg and other co's have determined who is the ' core market' for the expensive new product.

After that research, they develop, put together the spec and manufacture/assemble as ' economically possible ' or IOW, as cheap as possible.

IOW, Korg, and other co's will not be ' all things to all people' with a new expensive product. I understand this in principle. And these co's have 100's of other products to manage.

The high priced new product has to get attention immediately, to generate enthusiasm and to fuel further sales. There are usually other choices for the potential customer.

It seems easy for a company to stumble in the marketplace. And there is the 'perception ' of stumbling which any company has to manage against.
is very demanding, critical, uber competitive, etc.
Narioso

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:

Yes, too many programmers design the things we use.
With just a paper and a piano or a guitar, chance is higher you focus on melody and musical things. If this engage you - you are on to something.

When I went from portastudio to computer it took some years not to be distracted by everything to choose from.
- nice sound, but did the music make me want to hear it again?

Still using just one composer might not do it for everybody. I think it is very personal exactly how we go about things.

Playing anything two handed, I want the readability in notation to be two staves. Even playing strings, normal grand piano staff would be ok.

How hard is this?
Very hard as I was to discover.

So far it's only Cakewalk that has the exact thing I want to make a midi track into two staves(F+G clef), and just tell which split note you want - and done. And I can redo as I please, until I get maximum readability.

I had an old Finale Guitar 2003 that you can do this on import, but not once imported. Tried the latest Final full version($600 or so) same thing, only on import this simple approach. Support showed me a plugin to use, but could not even make that create a simple two staves that looked right(so many options I had no clue what it meant). I got strange things with like 6 support lines each end, and stuff like that.

Tried Notion with StudioOne, same thing, only on import and the midi had to be named Piano-something.

Software made by programmers for programmers.

If workstations do this well, and they come with hdmi out to use a big screen - then I open my wallet to that. My latest laptop have really cool touchpad, so screen need not be touchscreen IMO. Touchpad supported up to 4 fingers for various use.

Last year Korg dropped announcement of Wavestate rather early in january even before NAMM, so maybe they have something soon that is next gen workstation. NAMM is probably skipped anyway so go digital and announce now.

But seems many things are delayed due to some major fire in china as they told me in local music store. Both Behringer and Arturia has serious delays in manufacturing.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:

Akai Professional points at their huge multi-GB storage space, while DAW-twiddlers lean on their multi-terabyte storage arrays and yawn.

Not really Akai is one of those that didn't get the memo about storage space and leave you stuck with a tiny drive that can only handle the factory data while throwing "huge" expansions that eat up GB's at you. BUT they make it easy for you to install aftermarket drives which is somewhat convenient. But then on the MPC ONE which I owned briefly they blocked the ability to add a larger drive leaving the user stuck with a tiny HD and forced to use disk or a usb drive. It's been a complaint folks have been grilling them about since its release.

But I will say I think Akai did get the Memo when it came down to DAW's. They've basically turned the MPC into a DAW that can go stand alone. Lots of benefits of using MPC 2.0 including all the perks of 3rd party programs you can use with it. In stand alone Akai has reached out to 3rd party DAW designers and had them build in programs right into the boxes so you get those DAW features not to mention THEY ARE FREE! and akai updates them frequently.

Meanwhile here we are with Korg still pushing these 9 engines. While you have MPC's with Software that goes beyond that and that's an MPC.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
[qu

Meanwhile here we are with Korg still pushing these 9 engines. While you have MPC's with Software that goes beyond that and that's an MPC.

I hear you. You are criticizing the same old same old Korg Inc marketing on the same old same old 9 engines, likes its todays cutting edge.

I ignore old marketing . since it does not provide any new info.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How good is good enough?

I'm talking about subjective sound quality, irrespective of the technical specs like sample memory, number of sound engines, flashy knobs, etc.

Are the new keyboards really that much better for simply playing and producing music? Sound creation and reproduction by synthesis, modeling, and sampling has for years reached a mature state - more than "good enough."

These new "prepared" and lost and "found" sounds seem more like scraping the bottom of the barrel to forcibly conjure up something new - extraneous additions to the core sounds already available.

I think of orchestra musicians who have used the same old hand-me-down instruments for decades. New is not always better. Old wine is often better than new wine. So why covet a NEW keyboard when you can still make good music with the OLD keyboards you've used for years that still work fine?

I've got an old discontinued keyboard, never to be upgraded again. But I'm okay with that. Features and flaws are both known quantities. No possibility of any future updates means no waiting for important bug fixes and no stressing over whether Dilbert company bosses will OK feature updates.

Koekepan wrote:

The real promise has to be with magnificently smooth and reliable workflow.

Now *that* would be something new worth considering!
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
blazerunner wrote:
Be

how about you just make different editions with larger drives? Kronos 60gb, Kronos 250gb, Kronos 500gb and Kronos 2tb version.

write to Korg Inc Japan. we have been steadily ranting about short sighted product development decisions for some time.

These co's are trying to save 1 or 2 pennies, which screws up the concept of long term ownership.

Possibly co's like Korg only see a product like Nautilus , with its limits, to be a 2 year product life span.

If thats the case, if the expensive key board has been crippled or limited, I won't buy it.

We have other choices when buying an expensive keyboard.

IMO the Nautilus is nothing but a cheap Kronos
nitecrawler
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benny ray wrote:

IMO the Nautilus is nothing but a cheap Kronos

My interpretation is that it is not cheap, but less expensive. I know that is a play on words but let me explain. The cost is less but then some access avenues and options are, in fact, not on the Nautilus. On the other hand, I think that some of the onboard sounds have been refined and others re-sampled. The addition of multiple arpeggiators does compensate somewhat the missing Karma functions. Piano samples seem to be augmented with additional sounds available and more current synthesizer sounds have been added. Yes, most of these probably could be developed on existing Kronos instruments, but that would require time and effort. I am not emotionally involved with the on going conversation between Kronos and Nautilus because I do not own and Kronos. But I still own and use my Oasys and can take advantage of its unique access options. (velocity pads for example) For me, I am currently on the waiting list for a new 73 key Nautilus, it is the ability to use arpeggiators and play with much more advanced piano samples were the deciding factor. The expense may seem too much for what I will get in return, given my current stable of instruments, but I can afford it. Regardless, for my musical adventures, this new keyboard I think fits. It will save me time and give me options I do not currently have. It is almost like the Nautilus was designed for me in mind. My two cents. Eric Cool

Montage M7, Pa5x76, Nautilus, PA3Xle, Oasys 76, Mini-Moog, EMU Audity 2000, Motion Sound KBR 3D amp, Presonus and Reaper DAW W/Tannoy Reveal 501A powered monitors
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="GregC"]
blazerunner wrote:
Be

We have other choices when buying an expensive keyboard.[/quot

Agree just a cheap version of Kronos IMO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: